Join Early Retirement Today

H&R Block-problems attaching QBI statement when e-filing
Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

H&R Block-problems attaching QBI statement when e-filing

Just wanted to save others the hassle I ran into trying to attach the signed Qualified Business Income statement when e-fling with H&R Block (downloaded software-not online version).

Attached is copy of the instructions provided during the interview that led me to believe that the statement needed to be attached prior to hitting the final submit button for e-filing. Actually, you have to hit the final submit and then you are finally prompted to attach the statement.

This may be intuitive to most of you, but I wasted a lot of time talking to the H&R Block help desk (not helpful) to find out how to get the statement attached before submitting. Finally just decided to submit anyway (and wait for IRS to request the signed form) and discovered that only after submitting are you prompted to attach.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 9.13.06 AM.png (74.4 KB, 22 views)
happycampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

@happycampr: Thank you.. Yes, I spent hours trying to figure it and gave up.. and then submitted it a couple of hours ago.. however I didn't get a prompt to attached the signed QBI.. Did you get it after IRS accept the return??
dahser_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to thread dump, but I had issues w/H&R Block tax program trying to use my Federal refund to purchase Savings Bonds. There is no apparent way of doing this via Interview, and finally had to go to Forms and use Form 8888, then tell it I wanted an electronic refund. All of this was for naught as my electronic submission was rejected twice by the IRS.

At first I thought it was some other issue (as the rejection code was pretty useless even after trying to find information via google). I finally took out Form 8888 and instead applied my refund to my 2019 estimated and the electronic submission then worked. I did try to call the support center, but was just on an endless hold.

In the end I wasn't willing to go the paper route on my submission and just gave up on the savings bond purchase.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi dahser. IIRC the prompt to attach the QBI came up immediately after hitting the submit button, before IRS accepted the return. I used the premium version of the software.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello- new member here. I joined just to comment on this thread LOL. I just wanted to let Happycampr know that I super appreciated his original thread. He's 100% right. The stupid HR Block software has you hit "send" to e-file BEFORE asking you to upload the QBI statement. It was a leap of faith hitting send but I did it and gald I did- a window opened and asked me to browse to find the statement. Thanks for saving me the hassle! I too was using the downloaded premium software but for TY 2019. Thanks again!!
kenny400hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad I was able to help and welcome to the forum!