Join Early Retirement Today

H&R Block tax software
Old 03-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

H&R Block tax software

Is anyone aware of any software issues with H&R Block (2014 filing year) tax software?

Here's my issue:

I owe this year.
We are filing married filing jointly.
My wife and I are both covered by a retirement plan 401k at work.
Our AGI is above $116,000.
Yet.....when I enter an ADJUSTMENT amount of $6000 for a 2014 IRA contribution (I have until April 15th 2015 to do this) the program calculation reduces what I owe by almost $1500.00.

According to IRS website if you are covered by a retirement plan at work, and your AGI is more than $116,000, you DO NOT qualify for an IRA deduction.

Publication 590-A (2014), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Thanks
Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am using H&R Block software but I'm not contributing to an IRA. DW and I are contributing to a Roth. My only suggestion is to check to make sure the right boxes are checked on your W2 forms.

I can't fault your concern. I read the info the same way you do which is why we are going the Roth route. They are allowed to a higher income level.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I am using H&R Block software but I'm not contributing to an IRA. DW and I are contributing to a Roth. My only suggestion is to check to make sure the right boxes are checked on your W2 forms.

I can't fault your concern. I read the info the same way you do which is why we are going the Roth route. They are allowed to a higher income level.
Thanks.

The "retirement plan" box 13 is checked on both of our W2's and they also checked in the program. There must be a glitch in the software. I am going to make an appointment at an H&R Block office and go talk to them.

Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Is anyone aware of any software issues with H&R Block (2014 filing year) tax software?

Here's my issue:

I owe this year.
We are filing married filing jointly.
My wife and I are both covered by a retirement plan 401k at work.
Our AGI is above $116,000.
Yet.....when I enter an ADJUSTMENT amount of $6000 for a 2014 IRA contribution (I have until April 15th 2015 to do this) the program calculation reduces what I owe by almost $1500.00.

According to IRS website if you are covered by a retirement plan at work, and your AGI is more than $116,000, you DO NOT qualify for an IRA deduction.

Publication 590-A (2014), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Thanks
Mike
Mike,
I do not have HR Block software, and can't verify what you say, but make sure the contribution was entered into something like an IRA Contributions Worksheet. Then the software will check your entry against your limits. That is how it works in the tax software I've used (Turbotax, Proseries).
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Mike,
I do not have HR Block software, and can't verify what you say, but make sure the contribution was entered into something like an IRA Contributions Worksheet. Then the software will check your entry against your limits. That is how it works in the tax software I've used (Turbotax, Proseries).

I'll check that.....thank you.

Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Mike,
That's a good check. If you entered the value in the wrong place you may be "overriding" a calculated value the software would have entered.

Also Block has an online chat support, that seems like a simple question to ask them before making a trip to an office.

Customer Support - Contact Options - H&R Block® | H&R Block®
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
That's a good check. If you entered the value in the wrong place you may be "overriding" a calculated value the software would have entered.

Also Block has an online chat support, that seems like a simple question to ask them before making a trip to an office.

Customer Support - Contact Options - H&R Block® | H&R Block®

Thanks.

Contacted them and gave them the link to the IRS.gov website where it shows I DO NOT qualify for an IRA deduction based on my AGI.

They said: "Yes you're right, you DO NOT qualify for an IRA deduction based on the information on the IRS.gov website" (I'm glad they set me straight ) and someone will get in touch with you in 2-3 business days!

Mike
Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Also used H&R Block. Sometimes, to save time, I just use the "override" feature to enter the correct number on the actual IRS return.

Sometimes, answering questions, and having the software enter the data
can be confusing.

However, be careful. If you do not know what you are doing, you can miss
deductions or make other errors.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote