Hacked

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Netflix...
Received three Emails asking if I had changed my password.
Long and short...
Locations:
Antioquia, Colombia... Leningrad Russia... New Jersey, United States.

Cleared it up with Netflix, and changed my email and password there.

Changed my regular email password.

What happened? What's next? What else should I do?

:confused:

Netflix...
Received three Emails asking if I had changed my password.
Long and short...
Locations:
Antioquia, Colombia... Leningrad Russia... New Jersey, United States.

Cleared it up with Netflix, and changed my email and password there.

Changed my regular email password.

Did you use that password anywhere else? If so, I’d change it there too.

So, Colombia, Russia, New Jersey. Interesting combination!

Not sure what happened, but your email was at least compromised.

Don't ever click on the links in the email (could be phishing to steal your password). If you did, go back to the web site home pages (without clicking on any links in any emails), re-login, and change your user name/passwords again. Check all credit card and investment account balances. Consider signing up for a credit monitoring service.

Ensure that you have account alerts set up to send you texts or emails for significant transactions over certain $ thresholds for all of your credit card, banking and investment accounts that are online.

Good luck!

Don't use public wi-fi, ever, in instances where you need to give your user name and password.

Did you use that password anywhere else? If so, I’d change it there too.

I have 11 email addresses and overall, maybe 200 different passwords for different websites. Cumulative of nearly 30 years on line.

I seem to remember somewhere along the way something called a "password spinner", and a program that could read all of the passwords on my computer. Now I just save my passwords on a thumb drive.

Not sure what happened, but your email was at least compromised.

Don't ever click on the links in the email (could be phishing to steal your password). If you did, go back to the web site home pages (without clicking on any links in any emails), re-login, and change your user name/passwords again. Check all credit card and investment account balances. Consider signing up for a credit monitoring service.

Ensure that you have account alerts set up to send you texts or emails for significant transactions over certain $ thresholds for all of your credit card, banking and investment accounts that are online.

Good luck!

Don't use public wi-fi, ever, in instances where you need to give your user name and password.

Thanks....

So the change in netflix came through a telephone call through the Netflix website. ...

I don't know how to set up account alerts... ala Amazon, Walmart etc. How else do I pay for products that I buy on line. Been using a credit card, but just with a limit of $200, for notification.

As to checking account... Only on major expenses like utilities, taxes, and other municipal expenses.

Gettin' too old for this stuff. :(

Thanks....

So the change in netflix came through a telephone call through the Netflix website. ...

I don't know how to set up account alerts... ala Amazon, Walmart etc. How else do I pay for products that I buy on line. Been using a credit card, but just with a limit of $200, for notification.

As to checking account... Only on major expenses like utilities, taxes, and other municipal expenses.

Gettin' too old for this stuff. :(
So someone was impersonating you when calling Netflix and trying to access your account?

have you considered trimming down your e mail accounts? 11 sounds like about 9 more than I carry. Well, Mrs Scrapr has 2 that I have to take care of.

does Netflix have 2FA?

I read the OP as saying three different e-mails were received. In other words, someone had tried to change the Netflix password, and Netflix sent a confirmation e-mail each time. Assuming that was not approved, no hack occurred.

Having lots of e-mail accounts is probably a good idea, for a few reasons. One would be simply to thwart various entities tracking personal information. Another would be to mitigate the damage if one were compromised. E-mail is used (as in this example) to verify account changes. You don't want one breach to compromise all your accounts.

I've done this in a more unplanned way. Every time I need to register with an e-mail account for some one-time project, I'll create a new one. Then, as other projects come along, I'll start using that account for them. Eventually, what started as a throw-away account takes on a longer-term purpose.

Had I been smart, I'd have one account for on-line forums, one account for one-off e-commerce purchases, one for eBay, one for Craig's list, one for Amazon, one for each volunteer organization I belong to, etc. Unfortunately I'm not that organized.

Last edited:
I did the same thing Cap....the dang things take on a life of their own!

Now I use Spam Gourmet. It's kind of a head scratcher to set up, but almost nobody gets my real email anymore. All the emails there get directed to my normal email, but after forwarding 10, the rest hit the bit bucket. You are able to go in and add to the forwarding count, up to 20. Some sites don't let you use a spam gourmet account, but most do.

I use it for 'legit' sites, like health insurance, doctors, etc and uncheck all the 'send me periodic crap' check boxes. The subject line gets the count added, and tells me if it's the last one, so I can enable more. This way, if their systems get compromised, the scammer has just a single use email...not useful or valuable, and if spam comes on it, those will hit the bit bucket.

Last edited:
Anytime I sign into Netflix they alert me. I signed in 3 times yesterday to try to figure out subtitles on foreign films and the alerted me 3 times. They don't alert me when I use Prime fire stick on TV.

So someone was impersonating you when calling Netflix and trying to access your account?
No... When I received the emails that my account had been compromised, I called the website, and they helped me fix the problem.

So nothing else has happened to any other account.

...so far :blush:

BTW... am troubled by the Chrome "not secure" warning in the URL space. Can't find the thread that explained this...

Help?

Last edited:
I got an email that someone tried to change a CC password and to contact them within the email. I called the CC phone number on my card instead and no one there had sent the email and no attempts had actually been made to change the password (but they still sent me a new card just in cases). I don’t know why someone would pull that scam with Netflix but maybe it’s bogus?

I read the OP as saying three different e-mails were received. In other words, someone had tried to change the Netflix password, and Netflix sent a confirmation e-mail each time. Assuming that was not approved, no hack occurred.

Here is a website that may help a person find out if their email address has been compromised. The site is recommended by Steve Gibson a security expert whose advice I trust. Just enter you email address and it will tell you if it has been compromised .

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I try to determine the maximum number of digits that a specific website will allow for its password.

I make-up random characters, of CAPITALS, small letters, numbers and symbols [!@#$%]

I save each these passwords in a txt file, on a flash drive.

Once I makeup a new password and save it, from that point on I cut&paste it whenever I need to use it again.

Back
Top Bottom