Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Had to Jump My Car Battery Today
Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had to Jump My Car Battery Today

Well, the car battery died today on my car. Luckily, I had a battery jumper (the portable battery jumper type with the positive/negative battery clamps). After jumping the car, the battery still wouldn't hold a charge (died as soon as I turned off the engine).

It just so happened there was a Walmart closeby so I jumped the car, drove it to the Walmart auto service and had them install a new battery.

The battery was over 5 years old, so it was about time anyway.

This got me thinking, do you wait the your car battery gives out, or replace it more frequently. Last time I didn't had a jumper, so had to call AAA. Now, the jumper came in real handy (it wasn't even fully charged beforehand).
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wait, I have an auto assistance plan through AARP. So even if someone isn't around to give me a quick jump, I can get a tow truck to come for free to jump my car or take it to a garage within 5 miles. Dead batteries also give off signs when they are close to dying, the cars electric locks will start locking slowly, keyfobs will require a much shorter distance to be used, and the battery will very likely be jumpable a few times in a row before it completely dies. Aside from oil problems, most car problems still allow the car to limp along well enough to reach a station, at least until cars become mostly electric (if something critical grounds out in electronics, there is no way to turn it on until it is fixed).
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I generally replace my car battery about a week to 10 days before it fails.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I used to wait, but on my new car I plan on changing the battery every 4 years. I don't particularly enjoy being stranded (as happened way too often with my old car).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My car's battery was showing signs in that the corrosion was there around the terminals. It actually was the first time I used the portable jumper. Very convenient not having to flag down a stranger or wait for AAA.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It is true that quite often batteries will give off warning signs before they die. Mostly, you will notice that the starter cranks the engine a bit slower than usual. That said, I have had a couple of batteries going kaput on me without any warning whatsoever.

About the portable battery jumper, I have not owned one, but they look like they have a small portable battery inside. It works when new, but if you have had it for a few years, what is the chance of finding it also dead when you really need it?

I'd say you need to keep a portable Honda generator in your trunk ($1000), and remember to run it once a month to keep the carburetor from gumming up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is true that quite often batteries will give off warning signs before they die. Mostly, you will notice that the starter cranks the engine a bit slower than usual. That said, I have had a couple of batteries going kaput on me without any warning whatsoever.

About the portable battery jumper, I have not owned one, but they look like they have a small portable battery inside. It works when new, but if you have had it for a few years, what is the chance of finding it also dead when you really need it?

I'd say you need to keep a portable Honda generator in your trunk ($1000), and remember to run it once a month to keep the carburetor from gumming up.

I had a couple of the portable batteries... you had to charge them on a regular basis.. they recommended every 90 days... it became a pain to haul them out, plug them in to charge and then put them back... and there is not a convenient place to put them in most cars..

However, I did use one of them... twice...

BTW, the one I had said if you used it the life expectancy was cut in half..
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

In my case today, there was no real sign..maybe just a blip, then no energy. Yeah, was worried about the portable jumper not working as it's about five years old, and I haven't charged it up for about 6 months..but it still worked like a charm today.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

It just so happened there was a Walmart closeby so I jumped the car, drove it to the Walmart auto service and had them install a new battery.

Does Wally World do that for the price of the battery or is there an added charge?
I am thinking the wife's battery is going to need to be replaced (and the one in the car too)
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

All wally world charged me for was the battery and battery disposal fee, no extra charge for installing. After tax, total was about $80. My battery was drained at the lot. I think they just installed the battery outside where I was parked.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I replaced the battery in my car yesterday, it was still working fine but
was 8 years old so thought it was a good time to put in a new one before
it died in a inconvenient location.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #12

I used to wait, until all 3 batteries in our cars died within 10 days. Now I replace mine every 5 years regardless. Then I don't worry.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
This got me thinking, do you wait the your car battery gives out, or replace it more frequently.
Every four years, and it's on the tickler list.

It's just too much hassle, especially if one of the drivers in your house happens to leave the interior lights on after parking the car...

Our Prius is coming up on four years in a couple months. Last time I checked PriusChat.com a couple years ago, those aux batteries were $150 and tough to swap. Hopefully the price and process have become a bit easier.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #14

Here in Florida, the heat takes a big toll on batteries. Three years is a good life for a typical battery. The battery I have now is coming up on three years old and may be time to replace it. I was wondering how the 5-year warranty works if you just walk in and want a new one. Would they still prorate it?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

In regular use, I've gotten up to 7-8 years out of a battery. When one starts to fail first thing I do is pry up the caps and see if it's dry. If so top it up with water and you may get another 18mo to 2 years from it.

Dryer sheets..that's nothing
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yeah my last one just gave me a couple of barely slow starts before sudden death at exact battery expected life.

Fortunately we were towing it with the RV and had just disconnected at an RV service place, so a mechanic just wheeled their portable battery bank out the the car and jump it for us. Chrysler Jeep was across the highway - quick run over (just before closing) to buy a new one. Lucky!!!!

It's funny - we don't carry a portable battery jumper or even jumper cables. We do carry a marine charger though that plugs into 110.

Audrey
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We do carry a marine charger though that plugs into 110.
This is just in case you happen upon a marine who needs charging?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is just in case you happen upon a marine who needs charging?
Hey, LOL!, you never know!

Audrey
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

One thing about RVs is that even a standard class C like mine has 3 batteries plus a generator. A toad would add the 4th battery. It is unlikely an RV'er would ever be stranded because of battery problems. Comments?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every four years, and it's on the tickler list.

It's just too much hassle, especially if one of the drivers in your house happens to leave the interior lights on after parking the car...

Our Prius is coming up on four years in a couple months. Last time I checked PriusChat.com a couple years ago, those aux batteries were $150 and tough to swap. Hopefully the price and process have become a bit easier.
How many miles on it, or doesn't that make any difference to the battery life? My Prius is about the same age as yours but pretty low mileage since I bus to work.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote