Join Early Retirement Today

Halloween 2019
Old 10-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Halloween 2019

Ya'll doing anything special? Are you turning out the lights and closing the doors? (It's OK, we've done that.)

The guy on the street behind us has a HUGE display of about 100 different items. Last Saturday he had a huge party and invited all kids. It is nice, but this is not really my holiday as there is no real faith element to it. But I won't poo poo those having fun. We try a bit too!

I'm doing my part by vigorously sampling all candy we give out. This is an important quality control step. Other than giving out candy, DW and I may wear an old costume. TBD.

What are ya'll doing? Anything? Do kids even come by in your CRCC? (We get an average of 40 to 60 kids per year in our 30 year old single family neighborhood.)

Let us know.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a raging snowstorm here in central Il. High winds and at least 3 inches of snow so far today. Now I have to eat all that candy, DH will help. Kids won't be able to see the sidewalks.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We probably only got around 25 peeps last year. Not sure why not more as there are many kids in the neighborhood and we put out some decorations and are welcome. The gates are left open for a few hours.
Perhaps they maximize their candy profits at the nearby mall.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We have a raging snowstorm here in central Il. High winds and at least 3 inches of snow so far today. Now I have to eat all that candy, DH will help. Kids won't be able to see the sidewalks.
Oh man. Growing up in Chicago, I remember (dimly) a snow storm on Halloween. I was crushed and I think I cried.

Halloween 2019
Old 10-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Halloween 2019

I’ll be handing out the goods (which I enjoy). Porch lights on and there’s usually a good turnout. I might drop by neighbors for a while but the weather is predicted to be a bit threatening.

I might watch “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” (Disney version in which Bing sings) that inspired my personal all-time favorite costume: The Headless Horseman. [emoji4]

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our 55+ community has a Halloween Dance every year which is always lots of fun. Live music, food and treats, wine and beer, etc. Every year there is a theme, and this year's theme is "Hoe Down".

I'm going as a dead hooker.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think we will have fewer kids this year..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halloween_Chicago_2019.jpg (257.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Hershey bars and Milk Bones

We have lights on and some mild decorations up. But not many kids live on our cul-de-sac, and it's a long, steep hill which discourages a lot of participants. I think we had all of 8 trick-or-treaters last year.

We give full-size candy bars. Some of our neighbors transit as entire families, including their pooches, so we also hand out dog biscuits for Fido... or even for the children if they really want them. (Most prefer chocolate.)

I will stay inside watching "The Great Pumpkin" until the doorbell rings.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think we will have fewer kids this year..
Wow! I'm hearing temps in the teens in the Rockies.

We're sweating it out in the Southeast with upper 70s and humidity.

But, as Steelyman mentioned, storms are a-comin'. It might limit the tricks and treats.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I live in a condo, so no lights to turn on by the front door and I did not put up any decoration. There are few kids in the building and Halloween is not a big holiday around here anyway. I still bought a bag of candy, just in case. But so far no visitors. It is nearly 9:00pm here so it looks like the candy is all mine!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

No need to turn out the lights. We haven’t had any trick or treaters in the 25 years that we’ve lived here. Our driveway is +800’ in a rural area of 5 acre parcels. But I had a snickers to celebrate
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

In Saudi, 30 plus years ago, for a Halloween party my late wife made Bee Costumes, complete with inflatable pool tires for the midriffs.

The next day was actual Halloween and the kids came around.....I wore my outfit and handed out candies. One little girl stared and stared and backed up down the pathway staring the whole time.

Couple days later I was out back and she and her dad stopped by......he said to her "You know this guy"...she looked at me...no recognition.....until he said "The Bee".....she looked again, and I thought "Now she knows who I am".

Not quite - she asked me where the Bee was.....I replied that he was upstairs sleeping, which was apparently quite acceptable.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Our 55+ community has a Halloween Dance every year which is always lots of fun. Live music, food and treats, wine and beer, etc. Every year there is a theme, and this year's theme is "Hoe Down".

I'm going as a dead hooker.
Is there a discount for your services?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #14

We have candy, we'll have the lights on. But our neighborhood as aged in place - so not a ton of kids... we'll get around 20 kids. And I have the giant costco back of chocolates. More for MEEEEEE
Old 10-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Is there a discount for your services?
No...I'm better dead.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #16

In the five years we've lived here there have never been any trick or treaters, so this year I decided not to buy any candy in hopes of keeping my own calorie count down.

Small street on top of a long hill with no resident children.

The one thing I find remarkable is that people in this town go all out with Halloween decorations. They start going up in mid-September and some are incredibly elaborate. I've never seen anything like it, anywhere else I've lived.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #17

The forecast for here is rain and even a tornado watch, although at the moment (4:20 PM EDT) the weather is no rain, but cloudy, and warm. Even so I'm not expecting a lot of kids. Normally we get maybe 40-50, and since DW always overbuys on the candy we had lots left over. Right now I'm (munch, munch) performing "quality assurance check" on the candy.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Halloween 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I will stay inside watching "The Great Pumpkin" until the doorbell rings.

I forgot about that! I’d recorded it off OTA last year but haven’t yet watched it for the zillionth time. I might be wrong but I think that was the first of many CBS Peanuts productions.

Popcorn and toons while listening for the doorbell to ring tonight. That works for me!

[ADDED] I see I was mistaken about it being the first Peanuts special, but it’s a good one. It doesn’t motivate me to hand out rocks though.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #19

We have a rare tornado watch tonight and a high (straight line) wind advisory. Used to be that leftover candy would go to the office break room where it would disappear like a carcass in the Amazon in a piranha feeding frenzy. Last year the folks at the library appreciated it so that’s what we’ll probably do this year. Well, after a little sampling by me first.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually greet 30-40 kids on Halloween. No snow, but temp will drop to 30F by 7pm, so I'm guessing we'll be on the low side.

We're handing out our traditional microwave popcorn packets. Across-the-street neighbor has an elaborate set-up in his driveway, including a fake steaming cauldron hung with a tripod over a fake fire. Not sure if he's hosting an actual party or what!
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote