Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Any Scary Stories to Share For Halloween?
Yes - I Have a Scary Story to Share. Here's My Story and I'm sticking to it. 4 16.67%
Yes - Had a Scary experience. But would rather not talk about. 2 8.33%
Not Sure Had paranormal things happen. But not sure if real or not. 1 4.17%
No - Nothing Halloween scary has happened to me. 9 37.50%
No - Enough of this nonsense. 5 20.83%
Other 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Halloween Poll - Any Scary Stories to Share For Halloween?
Old 10-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Halloween Poll - Any Scary Stories to Share For Halloween?

Since Halloween is tomorrow, thought I'd create a poll to see if folks here have any scary Halloween stories to share .

All stories welcome. Whether something really scary or mysterious. Doesn't have to be something that happened on Halloweeen.

This should be fun... knock on wood.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does the market results this past month count?
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I wish (or not) that I could say I lived in a haunted house. But that isn't so. When I was a kid (around 8 years old) I used to share the same bedroom with a couple of brothers close to my age. To this day, they both swear that in middle of one night they saw an apparition. I was sound asleep so can't say that I've witnessed anything ghostly with my own eyes.

I did go to a ghost hunt before. The building was said to be very active. Some things, even wanting to see something I must say were inconclusive at best. One thing that was a bit creepy was we (the group of folks on the hunt) sitting down and trying to contact a spirit who was a child. As we tried, we did hear an audible laugh that sounded like a child (there wasn't anyone that young at the ghost hunt). This wasn't one of those EPVs where people interpret what a spirit was saying with the sound just hard to tell. This was an obvious laugh.

I selected "Not Sure" on the poll.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's one for you.

I owned an old colonial home(early1800's) in NH. After buying it a few people, told me I had purchased the haunted house in town, but didn't think anything of it. Shortly after buying it I heard the sound of something bouncing down the back stairs. I looked up you could hear an item bouncing down the stairs then hitting the wall where the stairs turned 90 degrees. The next time I was vacuuming downstairs in a room adjacent to the space that the stairs came into I found a marble. The sound and the marble finding went on and off for a couple of years. I inquired to a couple of previous owners going back 50 years or so if they had heard ghosts or strange sounds at all. They had stories of chairs moving, a piano being played. I was told a story about the people I purchased the house from and how the wife had seen a little girl looking out a window in the room next to the back staircase. During 1996 I had a women helping me design some product packaging, she came over to show me the proofs. When I opened the door for her to come in she said you have a presence here. I kind of looked at her and said oh really where? We wandered about the house until we came to one of the large bedrooms as I opened the door she said there's an old women over in the corner crouched on the floor. I couldn't see anything there, but some weeks earlier I had heard footsteps in that room when I was stoking a fire in the fireplace in the parlor below that bedroom. I was certainly freaked out, but I was never approached nor did I see any apparitions during the 20+ years I owned the house. I sold the house in 2006 and have owned two old houses since with no sounds, ghosts or whatever since. I still have the marbles sitting in a pewter dish. During 1997 or 1998, around Halloween I was watching TV, the local station was going to be interviewing the high witch for NH. When segment opened it was the same women that had been designing the packaging for me. I had no idea she was any kind of witch, other than she could sense ghosts.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #5

I'm in my sixties. Enough scary s?!t for a lifetime!

But paranormal? Nope.

Evil? Definitely.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Nice one nativenewenglander. Gave me goosebumps the part of the TV segment being that woman designing the packaging. Yikes!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Nice one nativenewenglander. Gave me goosebumps the part of the TV segment being that woman designing the packaging. Yikes!
I know, right?!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Do stories where one either (a) did a Halloween "trick" on others, or (b) scared the cr*p out of others count?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

We once owned a weekend property that in addition to a nice cabin had a cook house and barn that was part of a plantation built in 1860, the main house had long ago burned down. According to the locals there was a ghost "uncle Tanner" that lived in the barn. We never did see him or notice anything unusual but it sure was fun to mess with the kids. One night we were woken by this blood curdling scream. There was this old goat that came with the place and it would walk along the front porch at night. One of my son's friends was with us for the weekend and since he was "camping" he told us later that he didn't feel like saying his nighttime prayers. Well he woke up and saw this goat face staring at him through the window. Poor kid thought it was the devil coming after him! We still laugh at that story.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Do stories where one either (a) did a Halloween "trick" on others, or (b) scared the cr*p out of others count?
Sure, feel free to post away .

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
... Well he woke up and saw this goat face staring at him through the window. Poor kid thought it was the devil coming after him! We still laugh at that story.
, The poor kid.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:18 AM   #11

back in the 70's when living in Sacramento my future brother in law and I were approached by the East Area Rapist. He came to our girlfriends house just before Christmas. I answered the door and the guy was dressed nice, asked if I would be willing to answer a few questions for a poll. He asked a few strange questions about how many women lived here, what medications they used, etc. My BIL was standing out of sight but heard. He came over to me, put his arm around me and asked what the cute man wanted Honey. I played along and we convinced the man we were a gay couple. He left and we decided he was the rapist and went after him. Not more than 10 seconds after we had closed the door and he was gone. We saw him down the street and started after him. He was on to us and took off. We lost and found him over several blocks but couldn't catch him.

Later I called the sheriff and told him what happened. He too was convinced this was their man. Now 40+ years later, they caught him. Photos of him back in those days showed the same man we saw at the door that night. This was Christmas time 1977.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

Here's another;
I was sleeping and woke up sorta late. The sun was fully up and shining in my bedroom window. Normally I wake up maybe 30 minutes before the sun rises. I have a door from my bedroom to my porch. The door opened and a young woman wearing a red dress with white polka dots on it came in. She looked like she was right out of the 40's or 50's based on her hair style and dress. I looked at her as I sat up in bed and realized it was my mother, who had passed away 5 years prior but she looked no more than 30. Maybe 25. She was so happy to see me and I was happy too. She told me she couldn't stay, was here to help Bill but wanted to say hello and that she loved me.

I fell back to sleep and woke up later, thinking that it wasn't a dream, or was it? I felt so great that I didn't care. I was happy all day long. That evening I got a phone call from my cousin. He told me his father had passed away that morning. My uncle's name is Bill.

At the funeral, I told my cousin what had happened. He walked over to the memorial table and opened up a photo album. In it was a photo of my Uncle Bill and my mom. She was wearing a dress with white polka dots. The photo was black and white, so I can't say if it was red or not.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
Here's one for you.

I owned an old colonial home(early1800's) in NH. After buying it a few people, told me I had purchased the haunted house in town, but didn't think anything of it. Shortly after buying it I heard the sound of something bouncing down the back stairs. I looked up you could hear an item bouncing down the stairs then hitting the wall where the stairs turned 90 degrees. The next time I was vacuuming downstairs in a room adjacent to the space that the stairs came into I found a marble. The sound and the marble finding went on and off for a couple of years. I inquired to a couple of previous owners going back 50 years or so if they had heard ghosts or strange sounds at all. They had stories of chairs moving, a piano being played. I was told a story about the people I purchased the house from and how the wife had seen a little girl looking out a window in the room next to the back staircase. During 1996 I had a women helping me design some product packaging, she came over to show me the proofs. When I opened the door for her to come in she said you have a presence here. I kind of looked at her and said oh really where? We wandered about the house until we came to one of the large bedrooms as I opened the door she said there's an old women over in the corner crouched on the floor. I couldn't see anything there, but some weeks earlier I had heard footsteps in that room when I was stoking a fire in the fireplace in the parlor below that bedroom. I was certainly freaked out, but I was never approached nor did I see any apparitions during the 20+ years I owned the house. I sold the house in 2006 and have owned two old houses since with no sounds, ghosts or whatever since. I still have the marbles sitting in a pewter dish. During 1997 or 1998, around Halloween I was watching TV, the local station was going to be interviewing the high witch for NH. When segment opened it was the same women that had been designing the packaging for me. I had no idea she was any kind of witch, other than she could sense ghosts.

Hold on. You’re saying that you’d hear a marble coming down the stairs and later when you’re cleaning you’d find a marble at the bottom of the stairs but it wasn’t yours? That would freak me out[emoji15]
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 AM   #14

Skipro, both of those stories are truly freaky!
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In college, the tours for prospective students and their families would always stop for a few minutes at a statue of one of the college's famous alumni. One fall rainy night, when the ground was soft, a group of us put a mannequin hand with red painted on it to look like blood at the base of the statue, and tied a long fishing line to it, and buried/covered it in dirt and leaves.

The next day,when the first tour stopped in front of the statue, the tour guide had their back to it while the group looked at the statue. From a distance, we pulled on the fishing line and the hand slowly emerged from the ground in front of it. It took about 5 seconds for someone to notice... and the screams and backing away that followed were priceless.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Here's another;
I was sleeping and woke up sorta late. The sun was fully up and shining in my bedroom window. Normally I wake up maybe 30 minutes before the sun rises. I have a door from my bedroom to my porch. The door opened and a young woman wearing a red dress with white polka dots on it came in. She looked like she was right out of the 40's or 50's based on her hair style and dress. I looked at her as I sat up in bed and realized it was my mother, who had passed away 5 years prior but she looked no more than 30. Maybe 25. She was so happy to see me and I was happy too. She told me she couldn't stay, was here to help Bill but wanted to say hello and that she loved me.

I fell back to sleep and woke up later, thinking that it wasn't a dream, or was it? I felt so great that I didn't care. I was happy all day long. That evening I got a phone call from my cousin. He told me his father had passed away that morning. My uncle's name is Bill.

At the funeral, I told my cousin what had happened. He walked over to the memorial table and opened up a photo album. In it was a photo of my Uncle Bill and my mom. She was wearing a dress with white polka dots. The phoo was black and white, so I can't say if it was red or not.
Cool story
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Can't do a poll but, it was 1975. We lived across the street from a large cemetery, always had fresh flower smells.

One late night we went out for a drive in a very rural area. No other cars were around the area. As we passed through a hillside above a creek there were a bunch of folks in white apparel, chanting around a campfire around the creek bottoms. We stayed to listen and it appeared they were chanting Latin. DW and I looked at each other confirmed we both saw and heard the same thing and got the heck outa there.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Here's another;

At the funeral, I told my cousin what had happened. He walked over to the memorial table and opened up a photo album. In it was a photo of my Uncle Bill and my mom. She was wearing a dress with white polka dots. The photo was black and white, so I can't say if it was red or not.
That's a sweet experience/dream called After Death Communication. I've had similar ones after having lost relatives or dear friends with the "visiting" in a dream and saying they are okay now, happy no longer in pain. But even more happened in your experience with the photograph of her wearing the polka dots dress. The dreams seem more real than regular dreams as they don't fade away from memory like most dreams do are like an actual visit because maybe they are a visit in spirit.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
In college, the tours for prospective students and their families would always stop for a few minutes at a statue of one of the college's famous alumni. One fall rainy night, when the ground was soft, a group of us put a mannequin hand with red painted on it to look like blood at the base of the statue, and tied a long fishing line to it, and buried/covered it in dirt and leaves.

The next day,when the first tour stopped in front of the statue, the tour guide had their back to it while the group looked at the statue. From a distance, we pulled on the fishing line and the hand slowly emerged from the ground in front of it. It took about 5 seconds for someone to notice... and the screams and backing away that followed were priceless.
That's hilarious .
Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw Alice Cooper on October 31, 1981
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote