Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hanging around here may not be bad for you after all...
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Report: Tech use doesn’t add to social isolation.

Pew findings challenge concern about ‘harmful impact of new technology.

Quote:
Despite the fact that more and more of us are spending time glued to screens large and small, in its study, Social Isolation and New Technology, Pew found that the contacts and connections made by using those tools don’t come at the expense of real-life relationships.

It also said that use of social networking sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and MySpace provides an outlet for “discussion networks that are more likely to contain people from different backgrounds,” a plus for diversity.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article,
Quote:
“On average in a typical year, people have in-person contact with their core network ties (close family and friends) on about 210 days,” the report said.
OK, that settles it. I am officially a loner (and happy that way, too!). That sure seems like a lot of time socializing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Also, it can also be an ice breaker. Today, at the cafe, I was totally absorbed in reading, no it wasn't this forum for a change. Stranger came over, profusely apologized for interrupting my reading, and asked me to tell all about the device I was using. Happens a lot. Some people just want to compare my obsolete version to their up-to-the-minute model.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am a social person, so I think social networks are great. I have used Facebook to reconnect with HS friends and other friends I lost track of. I use LinkedIn as a business growth tool.

At one point in my life, I was a loner. I think it was what I needed at that time because I had a lot of issues in my life. However, in looking back, I prefer human contact. More than anything, THIS forum is a social network, not unlike Facebook or MySpace.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
...THIS forum is a social network, not unlike Facebook or MySpace.....
I'd agree, at least in part. It certainly meets this criteria:

Quote:
“...discussion networks ... are more likely to contain people from different backgrounds,” a plus for diversity.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wonder - Monday Night football when the Dirty Birds got that fumble near the fourth quarter I did get out my Wally World BP meter - 156/93.

I wonder - given the snits people get into on forums?? .

And is that as good as cardo exercise?

hmmm?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just my two cents, but I always test out as a total extrovert; however, I'm in the house eldercaring the past 5 years, and the couple of good forums I'm on are definitely a positive outlet for me and a way to meet like-minded folks to discuss with. I've made a few "friendships" on forums, too, so boards like this one have kept me from being socially isolated. God bless!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I wonder - given the snits people get into on forums?? .

And is that as good as cardo exercise?

hmmm?

heh heh heh -
You are so right, may not be as good as poker what with all the smoke, snacks and chance to win a pot. Raise you two red chips.

heh heh heh © Unclemick
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
You are so right, may not be as good as poker what with all the smoke, snacks and chance to win a pot.
At first I read this as a "chance to win pot."

Maybe I *do* need to get out more.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #10

Orchid: When did you change your avatar? I´ve noticed it now for the first time... So cute...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...that's a shame. I usually like things that are supposed to be bad for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
.....I have used Facebook to reconnect with HS friends and other friends I lost track of.......
Same here! I've found quite a few 'long lost' friends using Facebook. In fact I just very recently accidentally caught up with an old flame from back in my early teen years. I found this name that I thought looked like it might be her, on the "friends" list of a person who was on one of my friend's "friends list"....kind of like a friend of a friend of a friend!

She was from a little town several miles away from my home, and since neither of us were old enough to drive at that time, we only saw each other in church or at church functions. Eventually our paths parted, and now 35+ years later, out of the clear blue, we've reconnected! What's really amazing is that neither of us had forgotten the other over all these years. So the paths that had parted years ago, appear to be joining back together.

I find the major difference between forums like this one, and other 'social networks' like Facebook, is that on here we have to show some semblance of being nice to each other, and on FB we can throw french fries and squirt ketchup at each other!

Both offer social interaction, but on here we really don't know each other (for the most part). Everyone just has to assume, for instance, that I'm excessively rich, exceedingly handsome, amazingly intelligent, abundantly brilliant, and one of the most honest and loyal guys alive! But on networks like Facebook.....those people "know" me...they really know me....they know the real truth....that I may be all of those things that I stated, or I might be slightly full of BS! They don't have to assume anything, they know what's what!

I prefer "face to face" interaction, but when that's not possible...such as the case with my old flame and many other friends and family scattered around the globe....online social networks can suffice!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm Goonie...old flame...wedding bells?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #14

Vincente: A couple days ago. Thanks...I like it, too. Plus, I've noticed in various photos that I hold my head the same way the duck does. Wonder what that means?

I'm happy for Goonie, but I contacted my old beau from when I was 15. He wrote back, but he wrote so little and so coldly you could read F.U. between the lines. I asked my mother if I was really that mean to him, unfortunately she said yes and reminded me that he was crazy about me then, so....guess he paid me back a couple years ago. This was 50 years ago....damn those guys with genius i.q.'s! He remembers too well, and I admit I was really a horrid flirt in high school and got away with probably waaaaay too much come here-go away behavior with boys. I had a good time, tho (despite being the total virgin then).
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm Goonie...old flame...wedding bells?
Doubt there'll be any bells for a very looooong time...if ever.....but stranger things have happened I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm happy for Goonie, but I contacted my old beau from when I was 15. He wrote back, but he wrote so little and so coldly you could read F.U. between the lines.......
Quite the opposite here....she's been filling me in about all that's transpired through all the years, and of course I've reciprocated. She brought up the idea of getting together sometime, with her traveling back here for the visit....even though she has no family in IL anymore, and very few old friends....everyone's moved away, mostly out of state. She's lived on the east coast since she moved there when she was 17, and has only been back to IL a couple of times many years ago.

So we'll just have to wait and see.....
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Whew! That's a relief. I've been thinking of ways to keep social contacts after I retire because I won't have the enforced interaction work provides.

Facebook has found some old highschool friends and some I don't really recall at all. Mostly it's been nice to interact with a passel of nieces and get to know them a bit better. Discussion groups are good for more focused discussions that are hard to have with the people I physically see. At least there's more variability in life experience to bring to the table.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #17

Goonie: Sounds like a winner!