Hank Bauer died

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
I have to admit I was only vaugely familiar with the name:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17071288/

but I can see why commentators lament the change in athletes character if we've gone from guys like this to Barry Bonds.

Wounded twice as a Marine in WWII, still managed to set World Series records, wow. RIP!

Hank Bauer. Right fielder to Mickey Mantle's center, and left field was any of... Elston Howard, Enos Slaughter, Cletis Boyer... a couple more. Bill Skowron at 1st, Bobby Richardson at 2nd, Tony Kubek at shortstop, and Andy Carey at 3rd, Yogi catching either Whitey Ford, Don Larsen, Bob Turley (side-hander). May not all be correct, but most.

Can you help, Jarhead? GOD I'm getting old ;).

How can you guys think of anyone other than Anna Nicole at a time like this:confused: ;)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Hank Bauer. Right fielder to Mickey Mantle's center, and left field was any of... Elston Howard, Enos Slaughter, Cletis Boyer... a couple more. Bill Skowron at 1st, Bobby Richardson at 2nd, Tony Kubek at shortstop, and Andy Carey at 3rd, Yogi catching either Whitey Ford, Don Larsen, Bob Turley (side-hander). May not all be correct, but most.

Can you help, Jarhead? GOD I'm getting old ;).

You done good Doc. ;)

Here's some more: Pitchers, Eddie Lopat, Lew Burdette, Allie Reynolds, Vic Rashi.

Postion players: Joe Dimaggio, Jackie Jensen, Billy Martin, Jackie Jensen, Johnny Lindell, Gil McDougald.

Jackie Jensen and Johnny Lindell are a little obscure, but they had interesting side stories, so I remember them.

Jensen was an All-American half-back at Univ. of Calif. He chose to play baseball. He refused to fly. He drove to every away game. The West Coast hadn't opened up to Major League baseball during that time period, so he was able to pull it off.

Lindell was a left fielder, and a pretty fair one. After his career was going downhill, he developed a knuckle-ball, and spent 4 or 5 years as a pitcher.

He's the only guy I'm aware of that pulled that one off.

During the time frame of Bauer, there were hundreds of ball-players that were also military, but most of them spent time in "Special Services". Bauer
was like Ted Williams.

Teddy Ballgame spent 3 years as a Marine Fighter Pilot, in WW2. He was recalled for active duty for 2 more years during the Korean War. He lost 5 years of the short life-span of a ballplayer, and never compained about it.

Ted was the "real" John Wayne. The other guy sat out the War in Laguna Beach. :)

Regards, Jarhead

Yep, I remember them all (well most of them). I was a huge Yankee fan in the 50s. BTW: My knowing them was through the newspaper and the radio; We had no tv don't ya know. Then George bought them, I got stationed in New England and noticed the Red Sox, and well, outside of Fenway Park they hawk T-Shirts with the logo "Yankees Suck."

Today's athletes are bigger, stronger and faster. They make more money and have more independence. But, they don't compare with yesteryear's players when it comes to supporting the military. Alas, we are growing older.

Back
Top Bottom