Join Early Retirement Today

Happy Super Bowl
Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happy Super Bowl

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Super Bowl - it is a holiday to some people, especially given the fact that this day is only second to Thanksgiving in terms of food consumption :P.

I hope for a good game. My only link to Seattle is that I saw Shaun Alexander play in high school - he is orginially from Boone Co., KY and his team regularly made the trip to Lexington. First time I saw him I was like "yeah right, this guy isn't that good"...first play, gone 60-65 yards untouched. If not for him I would probably root for the Steelers.

I say Seattle 23, Pittsburgh 17

So, drink, eat, party and be safe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Happy Super Bowl
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're loaded for bear with a metric ton of guacamole, a small mountain of peel and eat shrimp, and 18lbs of prime rib that'll be heading to the oven in a couple of hours...

Oh yeah, and we have a little bit of beer and tequila too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
We're loaded for bear...
Are you going hunting or did you mean beer?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Whoops...theres a bear drinking my beer.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Here we go, Steelers! Here we go!

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Here we go, I Dont Care, here we go!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
So, drink, eat, party and be safe.*
Spouse is at the Reserve drill weekend for the fourth year in a row. *Apparently these guys continue to be surprised by the Super Bowl popping up at the same time each year. *

Or maybe they're not so dumb after all-- the out-of-towners will be partying their butts off at the base club around the pool with its large-screen media systems, imitation-tiki bar, and attractively- & minimally-clad occupants. *(Others will bring their spouses & families.) *Kickoff is 1 PM Hawaii time so business will work through "lunch" and the afternoon muster will probably be held poolside.

And if I'm reading the local preps correctly, isn't next week the Pro Bowl? *Some of those out-of-town Reservists might be staying here for a while.

On the home front, I've just been informed that we're hosting the street's teen Super Bowl gathering.

Apparently a dozen or so kids would rather squeeze into our familyroom around our 27" CRT (and its two 3" speakers) than their parent's large-screen HDTVs with surround sound. *Or maybe the kids don't want to have to watch the game with their parents? *

Said parents will be sending down pot-lucks full of chips, dips, baked goods, spicy hors d'oeuvre, & frosty beverages. *Of course some responsible adult has to make sure the food is safe for its consumers. *Works for me!

I'll be hiding in monitoring the action from the livingroom with a good book (and taping the game for its commercials). *

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #8

I like to live dangerously. I put all my money on the Patriots.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Who could have known they'd be done in by the referrees?

I still give them an outside chance...
Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Super Bowl - it is a holiday to some people, especially given the fact that this day is only second to Thanksgiving in terms of food consumption* :P.
I'm gritting my teeth.... there is NO audio on the HDTV channel carrying the game.... all of the other HD channels sound great. Games/events like this are THE reason why I have HD service at all. Anyways, I called the cable company and asked what was going on.... this channel is only being carried for the game (which is fine), and they promised it will be working by game time. If it's not.... I think DirecTV might be getting a call from me. :P
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
I'm gritting my teeth.... there is NO audio on the HDTV channel carrying the game.... all of the other HD channels sound great. Games/events like this are THE reason why I have HD service at all. Anyways, I called the cable company and asked what was going on.... this channel is only being carried for the game (which is fine), and they promised it will be working by game time. If it's not.... I think DirecTV might be getting a call from me.* :P
Got another TV with rabbit ears or a radio just for the sound?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
I'm gritting my teeth.... there is NO audio on the HDTV channel carrying the game.... all of the other HD channels sound great. Games/events like this are THE reason why I have HD service at all. Anyways, I called the cable company and asked what was going on.... this channel is only being carried for the game (which is fine), and they promised it will be working by game time. If it's not.... I think DirecTV might be getting a call from me.* :P
Do you have an HD OTA tuner? KOMO is broadcasting the game in HD. Free. (Well, you need a $20 antenna.)
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #13

Well, I had no horse in this race, but I have seen better officiating. Seattle was robbed on a couple of calls. One cost them a touchdown. The league needs to fix this. It almost looks like they are in cahoots with Vegas. Probably not; they're just poor officials.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

And Seattle could use some stickem... :P

Lotta dropped passes...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We still have to play back the tape (for the commercials). I'm glad the Steelers didn't build up a 20-point lead in the first quarter and spend the rest of the game blowing it.

We "only" had eight teens in the familyroom. Two of them spent the entire game timeslicing between the TV and MySpace.com. (They probably wish they had a PC with a TV graphics card.) Three more brought along some kind of personal video games (PSP?), networked them together and plugged them into the receptacle, and timesliced between the TV & playing multi-player shooters. Judging by the sound & graphics I'm not sure the photovoltaic array could keep up with that power consumption.

One girl, who I worry about a little, spent the entire time on her cell phone. I'm not talking about a phone call every few minutes, I'm talking about three solid hours of connectivity on a single battery charge without even a bathroom break. She even kept up a conversation with the rest of the room and switched flawlessly among the threads. She's an entire consumer-research project for the telcom industry.

My kid and another grrrrrrl actually watched the game argued about the officiating without trying to multi-task.

None, not a single one, of the 13-year-olds recognized Fidelity's commercial. I said "Hey, who recognizes that guy in the commercial? Anyone? Yes, those pictures are all of the same guy. He's one of the greatest pop & rock musicians of the Boomer generation! Anybody? His first name is Paul and he used to play in a group called "Wings"? Hey, is this thing on? You're killing me here!!"

Next time our kid breaks the rules, we're not invoking the usual electronics suspension. We're gonna make her sit in a chair and watch classic rock videos until she begs to behave. But first we're going to make her watch last week's Saturday Night Live (hosted by Steve Martin, music by Prince).

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
Mick was more active than Jerome, and in better shape.* Best part of the whole boring mess was Rough Justice, though it seemed like the real crowd (as opposed to the rent-a-audience) would have probably prefered eminem.
I enjoyed a couple of the commercials, "Start me up!"
and Al and John are always good. Otherwise, the
whole thing makes me want to puke. I switched
over to HBO (yep, got cable down at the condo)
and watched a Sopranos episode I'd seen 3 times.
They could just skip the Super Bowl and it would suit
me fine.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote