Join Early Retirement Today

Have a snow thrower? Why not?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #1

Have a snow thrower? Why not?

In the thread about snow I noticed a lot of people have long driveways, yet wrote of having to shovel 2+ feet of snow from driveways 100 ft. and longer. One of the best $900 I ever spent was for an Ariens snow throwing machine. It was hard to write the check for something I don't need but two to five times a year, but when we get a heavy snow I'm always glad I bought it.

If you need one, why didn't you get it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow03cleared.jpg (57.7 KB, 2 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

got me a 90 foot driveway, dbl width with turnaround and a big honking 14 HP Ariens snowblower to match. <tim allen tool time sounds in the background>

i just rebuilt the carburetor guts on it. it runs very well now.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mines too small

I was too cheap and bought the 5 h.p. model. It's a two stage but just isn't capable of launching the snow far enough if the wind is blowing from the wrong direction (when the wind blows here, it really blows!) After the first substantial snow storm this winter, I was unable to get the stupid thing to start I went in the house and called a local guy with a big diesel pickup and a hydraulic plow. He came out and moved more snow in 5 minutes than I could have moved all day! It was $25 well spent. Think I'll sell the snowblower and put the money in my "Hire the snowplow guy fund"

Hank (gettin' lazier every day)
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm getting one.

Until now I've paid for a plow at $20 each time. This year we had 20+ snowfalls and he got a little aggressive.

I'm figuring that around July I should be able to find some deals on Craigslist.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold my house and gave a good neighbor a pretty good deal on a never used arien also. It was an insurance policy. As soon as I bought it , we didn't get any more snow.
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
It will melt.

As I can do it on my own schedule, snow shoveling is a physical and mental discipline/exercise.

The Tao of snow: becoming one with the snow and the sunlight and the squirrels.

I really don't like gasoline engines.

I also rake leaves.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thought about getting one. So far, I'm using a shovel.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #8

Good exercise to use a shovel. Or pump up the economy by paying the neighborhood kid 50 cents
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #9

Snow?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Good exercise to use a shovel.
Depends on your physical condition.
Let's be careful out there.

"After a heavy, wet snowfall, we'll get five to six times the number of heart attack cases that we would on any other typical winter day," says Dr. Hargarten, associate professor of emergency medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.
At least 75,000 heart attacks occur each year during or shortly following strenuous physical exertion. About 1 in every 3 of those heart attacks are deadly, says Murray Mittleman, M.D., a researcher at the Institute for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center West in Boston. Many of these heart attacks and deaths occur among people over age 60 who have been shoveling snow.
"A lot of people think, 'Oh, it's just snow. I can take care of this.' They think of it as just another domestic chore like mowing the lawn," Dr. Hargarten says. "But snow shoveling is a lot more strenuous an activity than power mowing. Shoveling causes changes in blood circulation that are a lot more stressful on the heart."
Those changes in blood flow can be particularly risky for people over age 60 who are sedentary or who are unaware that they have heart disease.
"As you move along in years, you tend to get less exercise, and activities like snow shoveling become more dangerous," Dr. Hargarten says.
A study of 10 sedentary men in Michigan, for instance, found that just 2 minutes of shoveling snow raised heart rates above the limit commonly recommended for safe exercise. And if you are out of shape, the chances that you will have a heart attack in the hour following a physically draining task like snow shoveling are 53 times greater than that for a person who is physically active, Dr. Mittleman says.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
"But snow shoveling is a lot more strenuous an activity than power mowing."
OK, that was definitely persuasive so I've made up my mind. When we move north, I'm not shoveling snow at all!!

I stopped power mowing a couple of years ago, because it was becoming more and more strenuous the older I get. I'd rather pay someone to mow and then pay to go to the gym, where I can exercise regularly without over-doing.

If snow shoveling is more strenuous than that, I will hire someone to do it or else just wait for it to melt. I don't think snow usually lasts very long in southern Missouri.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #12

65 HP diesel tractor with an eight foot blade. Handled four foot drifts the morning. Would be better with a front loader. Also have a cousin with a plow on the front of his truck.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Electric snow blower

Back about a year or so, we bought a Toro Snow Blower. It only cuts about 18" wide, so I do one cut on the way out and another on the way back, with a looonnng extension cord. Works well and uses no gasoline.
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #14

I bought a Toro about 30 years ago while living in NY. Never had a problem with it and last year I dropped it off at my DS's house and moved to Florida. Glad that's overwith.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'm the snow thrower...........for a couple more years, and then my sons take over..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I dont have one. But it was 75ish out there today so I think I'm okay.

We did get some snow about 10 years ago. Couple of inches. Went away in a couple of days.

I'm laughing it up now. In four months all y'all can give it back to me about it being 110 degrees here.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #17

Neighbor kid has a snowblower warm clothing time and a desire to make $20. All I have is the warm clothing.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

re y'all can give it back to me about it being 110 degrees here.

count on it!
i often wonder why i stay in the snow belt. the usual reasons were job, house, inertia. it will be interesting as the FIRE act settles in on me long term, how i feel about the cold white stuff. DH2B still works here, so there's my new reason.
i have lived in AZ, CA and FL. they just short term visits (a few months) with my mom, many moons ago as she enjoyed her retirement. AZ was too dry, CA was too close to tourist areas (Anaheim), and FL was just for a summer. i enjoyed FL but wasn't there for hurricane season.

home is where the heart is.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My heart hated the frickin snow.

It likes sitting out on the lawn in february and march reading the paper in shorts and a tee shirt and thinking 15 minutes into it that I oughta move into the shade.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Good exercise to use a shovel. Or pump up the economy by paying the neighborhood kid 50 cents
50 Cents? That's not LBYM, thats child abuse.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote