Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I cook with stainless steel pans. I cook, then clean the pan in dishwasher soap after every meal.

The other day while shopping for groceries at an Aldi, I picked up a Sous Vide cooker (sure like the Aldi non-food stuff). Haven't tried the cooker yet, but reading about sous vide cooking then lead to reading about searing steak or salmon on a cast iron pan then to seasoning the cast iron pan then to seasoning a stainless steel pan.

I have heard about not really cleaning a cast iron pan and just cooking with the added oils keeps the pan seasoned. But as I read now, is the same with stainless steel? Seems each time washing with dish soap is a waste as all I'm doing is removing the oil and needed to add more next time to stop from sticking.

What do you do? To wash off the oil in the pan or leave each time to cook another day?
You season cast iron and carbon steel. Not stainless steel.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For cast iron - wipe grease out with a paper towel, hot water, brush, no soap. Wipe cooking surface with a little oil after drying. Yes, I want to preserve the seasoning.

For everything else including stainless steel, hot water and soap.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
This method has been debunked by a lot of the cast iron community. Flaxseed oil looks nice, but tends to flake off over time.
Yup. Lodge itself lists flaxseed as one of only 3 oils that they do NOT recommend for seasoning. https://www.lodgemfg.com/sites/defau...ad_DIGITAL.pdf

I didn't find the article too "science-based" when the author weny on and on about dangerous free radicals - oh nooooos!

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
You season cast iron and carbon steel. Not stainless steel.
I was a bit surprised too when I did a search and there were how to's for seasoning stainless steel. Which led to my original post.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #25

I handle my stainless steel pans the same way, cleaning them until they shine, but I think there’s truth to seasoning it. My example is my stainless steel grates on my grill. I assume I’m like most people and for grilling, I just heat the grill and scrape off the grates. This leaves them kind of dark (seasoned). I can assure you, I have no problem with sticking on my grill.

I think we like the look of our shiny stainless steel pans so much that the idea of seasoning them and having them be dark isn’t too appealing, but maybe that’s the way to go. Maybe I’ll try it on just the fry pan and see what happens.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #26

I have SS pans and don't season them. Never have a problem with sticking as long as I bring up the heat first, use a little oil and then cook. If anything does stick a little I just put water in them and let them sit for an hour before wiping them with a scrubbie sponge. I pretty much do the same with my 40 year old carbon steel wok except I wipe it off with a little peanut oil before I store it. I have a few CI pots and pans but don't use them on the ceramic top stove. I do use the dutch oven in the oven when making no-knead bread though.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote