Join Early Retirement Today

Have tattoos peaked?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have tattoos peaked?

I think so. First, I am seeing more and more very middle class looking maybe a little chubby women sporting extensive tattoos; maybe fully covering both calves, or one entire shoulder. Nothing will turn off the hipsters faster than having Old Navy shoppers adopt their form of rebellion.

Tattoo parlors were formerly found only on seedy portions of seedy streets. Now they are in suburban strips malls.

Third, there has been a long evolution from a time (my boyhood) when lower class men, sailors, pool hall habitués, and oilfield roughnecks wore tattoos. I remember seeing a few on women, and they were a strong statement of serious rebellion. (This I could pick up from how other people reacted.)

Now, women are more likely to be tattooed than men. No matter how much of a feminist you are, this is not a prestige enhancing shift.

But my final evidence was hearing a young couple talking in the seat behind me on the bus. The woman had some truly odd ideas, like she claimed to have seen one of the Blue Angels parachute out of his plane over Lake Washington and the plane crashing during the SeaFair airshow last weekend. The guy very reasonably argued that this was impossible without them having seen anything about it on TV. He was respectful, after all she was a pretty young woman, but he was trying to bring her up to speed in more or less reasonable ways of thinking.

Next he announced that they had been invited to a pool party at the bank where he worked. Then they proceeded to fret for miles about how she might avoid baring her tattoos, without looking totally strange. She wasn't even offended that he thought it was not good to show them, more distressed at the embarrassment possibly coming her way.

That's it for me, I’m short tattoos Monday AM!

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Do some people actually believe that tattoos are attractive?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Is there a way to invest in tattoo removal services?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Do some people actually believe that tattoos are attractive?
Yes
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Yes
Why?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Third, there has been a long evolution from a time (my boyhood) when lower class men, sailors, pool hall habitués, and oilfield roughnecks wore tattoos.
My mother (born 1921) had an older brother who was in the navy. Back in the '60s she would ask: "Did anyone ever get a tattoo while sober?"
Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #7

because they're butch (or punk if you're into that). my partner had one of a snake coiled around a knife which was stabbed through a rose and he had the arm to pull it off. i can handle one or two on a hot muscled bod but i'm not into wallpaper.

also i never was into those tribal bands. if it's not interesting enough to pin on a wall, why would you pin it into your skin.

i recently had a tattoo talk with my 18-year old nephew and was surprised that he didn't seem at all interested in inking himself as his older cousins have. so maybe that fashion bubble has popped as well.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Why?
Its art. Some people like art.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Both of my daughters (39 -twins) and their spouses are tattoo free, and I've always been thankful for that. Hopefully the fad will have passed before my 4.5 yr old granddaughter has to deal with the peer pressure. She does have good role models, though....
Old 08-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's third rate art at best and sometimes even traced onto the subject from a catalog.
Barbed wire or a superman logo on someones arm is not art. Are body piercings art too?
Personally I liked it better when it was mostly cons and criminals sporting tattoos.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
It's third rate art at best and sometimes even traced onto the subject from a catalog.
Barbed wire or a superman logo on someones arm is not art. Are body piercings art too?
Personally I liked it better when it was mostly cons and criminals sporting tattoos.
I never really thought to grade what kind of art it was ..lol. Id say body piercings are also art. The skin is canvas like any other medium
Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I never really thought to grade what kind of art it was ..lol. Id say body piercings are also art. The skin is canvas like any other medium
Is paint by numbers art?
Is this art?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Is paint by numbers art?
You tell me. You seem to be the expert on what is art.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is a very pretty Asian barista at my favorite coffee shop who has a nice monochromatic bamboo tatt on her left shoulder. It looks like a very nice silk screen.

I have trouble with a lot of red in a tatt. A few days ago I was walking up Pine Street behind a woman with tatts on both legs with a lot of red, and it was disconcerting. Overall, body art is more pleasing to me if it does not remind me of bleeding.

Ha
Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
There is a very pretty Asian barista at my favorite coffee shop who has a nice monochromatic bamboo tatt on her left shoulder. It looks like a very nice silk screen.

I have trouble with a lot of red in a tatt. A few days ago I was walking up Pine Street behind a woman with tatts on both legs with a lot of red, and it was disconcerting. Overall, body art is more pleasing to me if it does not remind me of bleeding.

Ha
Yeah, you can find some that look terrible. Then again there are some really neat ones Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You tell me. You seem to be the expert on what is art.
I am no expert at all, but I do not understand how tattoos can be considered art. If I took magic markers and drew something on my face would it be art?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
I am no expert at all, but I do not understand how tattoos can be considered art. If I took magic markers and drew something on my face would it be art?

Why dont you do that. Then post a picture for me. Ill let you know
Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why dont you do that. Then post a picture for me. Ill let you know
Here you go.

Art?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #19

But thats not magic marker..
Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Makes me want to play checkers.