Join Early Retirement Today

Have you eaten cat food? Seriously.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, so my cat is quite eager to get to the wet cat food which I serve him for lunch.(The rest of the time he eats dry food.) He sits and waits around about 30 minutes before the wet food feeding time. I can see his anticipation, I can see his excitement, over just 3 TBS of the wet cat food. Once I start scooping it out, he starts meowing (I'm sure he is trying to say something.)

I have been wondering how it tastes.... It smells good and it looks like liver pate.

Anybody ever tried just a little bit of cat food? Would it make one sick? Is it supposed to be food grade for humans? It is canned so I'm sure it's pasteurized... Would it hurt to have a tiny little 1/2 teaspoon bite and spit it out?

I am asking this sincerely...(in other words, this is not a joke. But I'm sure I will hear plenty...)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Seriously, no.

There are reasons why canned cat food is labeled "not for human consumption". Or at least it was 50 years ago, the last time I had a cat.

I don't know what those reasons are but I'm not planning to be a test case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting thread. My cat loves wet cat food; Fancy Feast is kitty crack. I've had cats my entire adult life so that means opening, feeding, and discarding multitudes of wet cat food over time. And never once have I been tempted to take a bite. No matter what they are called they all smell like stinky fish (not in a good way). Love it when my cats wake me up in the morning by putting their little faces on mine and breathing stinky fish breath.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

FDA regs require that canned pet foods be free of pathogens; if not, there is a chance of accidental infection of humans who get the food on their hands and get infected directly or indirectly through cross contamination of other foods
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
FDA regs require that canned pet foods be free of pathogens; if not, there is a chance of accidental infection of humans who get the food on their hands and get infected directly or indirectly through cross contamination of other foods
Plus it would pretty much defeat the purpose of canning it in the first place if it had live bacteria in it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #6

I doubt you would get sick. However, I am sure the pet food is not made from the prime cuts, it is all the leftovers and organs. Not so appetizing to me.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No. But by accident, once I left the spoon out which I used for cat food, then mistakenly used that spoon to stir tea .

Of my two cats, one is very picky and the other is not at all. The not picky one when I open a can of wet food, he starts heading for the food dish or jumps on the dresser to sneak a taste. The picky one, I have to give her a whiff of the scent and she decides if he wants to head for the food dish or not.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Administrator

I have eaten the same ingredients as those found in cat food, so mine would be a qualified "yes". It wouldn't surprise me to find that the cat food has more nutritional value than some canned or frozen food for humans.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You could try it and report back.

I don't think it will make you sick, but it may not taste as good to you as it does to the kitty.

Years ago I wrote to the folks who made Greenies (dog chew treats) asking if people could consume them as a joke. The owner/developer wrote back a lengthy explanation on how they couldn't be labeled for human consumption even though they were food grade and manufactured in a food grade facility. He went on to tell about chewing them during development, his dentist remarking on how his gums were improving.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

While we joke about possibly having to eat cat food in retirement, from what I've seen in stores, it tends to higher in price than similar quantities of some human food.

Nope, I've never eaten it, and never been tempted to. Even in my starving student days (lots of ramen noodles, dinner made from whatever was cheap. I'm lucky to be alive). Closest I got to animal food: As a young kid I and a friend ate most of a box of dog treats. They were some kind of little "drops" that smelled like chocolate. Which is strange, because it's a big no-no to feed dogs chocolate. I wonder what they were.

And then there's the Purina diet.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #11

Please try it, and let us know. The ad on cat food seems like it's food also fit for humans and just as delicious. I haven't because I never had a cat. But it's probably true that some retired old cat lady who loves cats and has more than 5 cats share the cat food with her cats. Maybe CatWoman also eats catfood ? And she's a super-hero
Old 12-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
While we joke about possibly having to eat cat food in retirement, from what I've seen in stores, it tends to higher in price than similar quantities of some human food.
I buy canned tuna fish when it is on sale for 50cents/can. It's cheaper than the canned cat food.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'd never eat cat food.

But I've nibbled on dog Milk Bones several times before giving them to our dogs, to tease them and irritate DW. Not surprisingly, they don't have much taste...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tried the dried stuff when I was a child. It needs salt.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
......... He went on to tell about chewing them during development, his dentist remarking on how his gums were improving.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Too smelly!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I tried the dried stuff when I was a child. It needs salt.

But no, I've never been tempted. Never.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My family got our first cat when I was six. I sampled my new "sibling's" food, the tuna flavor (the liver and beef flavors smelled too nasty). Cat tunafish smelled and tasted like cheap, chunk dark tuna, which the family ate sometimes when money was tight. But the cat version was very gritty (probably from ground bone meal). I didn't care for it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
However, I am sure the pet food is not made from the prime cuts, it is all the leftovers.
I thought that's what they used to make hot dogs.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But I've nibbled on dog Milk Bones several times before giving them to our dogs, to tease them and irritate DW. Not surprisingly, they don't have much taste...
When I was a kid, my brother fed his friends dog biscuits as a snack as a joke. They ate them up. After they found out they were mad at him for a while...

If I ever need to eat cat food (snowed in at a cabin for a while say) I would't have any problem doing so. It's not poison, just parts of the critters that we don't usually eat.

But then I've eat a far amount of odd things at sushi and other restaurants. I'll try almost anything once as along as it doesn't smell awful (bad smells often indicate bacteria).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote