Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Relatively early in my c*reer at Megacorp, I got on the wrong side of a pHD scientist - I inadvertently showed that he was an idiot. Oh, and documented same in a memo (I thought it was innocent and factual, but he thought it made him look bad - it did.)

FF a few years and he became my manager. From day one, he looked for ways to denigrate me, and get me fired. Fortunately, my boss and his boss liked me and protected me. Eventually said pHD moved on to bigger and better things. But, he was still and idiot. After an all night tryst with his new lady friend (another company empl*yee), the guy (married at the time) fell asleep at the wheel and rolled his new Beemer into the Interstate median on his way to his office. Megacorp strongly urged him to FIRE himself - which he did. There were NO parties in his honor. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #62

I've never been fired per se. I was laid off once (first job out of graduate school, it was a start-up and we ran out of funding).

When I was a student, I used to work at a summer camp during the months of July and August. I had worked there for 5 summers in a row and I was one of the most senior staff. Then, when I applied for the job on the 6th year, I was turned down. I was very surprised. So I called the camp director and he told me that he had felt betrayed when I merely suggested making a few changes during the previous season. He had not dared confront me about it and he just waited an entire year to get his revenge. I ended up finding a summer job in a bank, making about 3x what I usually made at camp.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy reading about how people were 'made redundant' (term I learned in the UK) instead of fired... the result is the same, you are no longer working...

My only time I was fired was when I was working for Woolco in high school.. I worked many depts, one being the garden center where I loaded up manure into the cars... well, they fired me because I got complaints from customers that I smelled... funny but they never did warn me... my revenge was they had to hire two people to do the job that I did...

Next was after college... working for a big accounting firm... they let me know that I did not 'fit' into their plans... gave me 3 months to find a job or I would be out... I found one...

Next was working for a bank... bank was closed by FDIC... was there for almost a year and then lost my job... but got hired back a week later in a different dept of the acquiring bank...

Fifteen years later after a few job changes and mergers they put some young lady in charge of the dept that had no experience... at first I was doing good as I explained a bunch of stuff to her... but eventually she decided to get rid of all of the 'old' group as we were not a believer in the changes she wanted to make (had already tried them and they failed miserably)... so it took her 2 years to get to my group... my 'revenge' was hearing that when different things that came up that needed to be done and she asked 'who did this?' she was told TP!! She never knew all the stuff that I did and did not plan for it..

Last was my job at a small tech firm... when I joined there were 3 people and a receptionist that handled the work... I converted things, made things easier etc. etc. and in the end there was me who worked about half the time, one other and a half time receptionist... got let go as the company was going through financial problems and I was basically sitting half the day and being paid a bunch...

SOOO, many unplanned job changes but most of them led to something better.. the only one that did not was to the tech firm... had to take a big salary cut but it was ok with me as the workload was very low...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my first jobs was at a movie theater. I was often on closing duty and one weekend evening, according to management, I had miscounted the drink cups which got locked in a cabinet at closing and for this infraction received demerits. I was a but puzzled but anyone can make a mistake especially 16 year old me, right? So my next closing, I was doubly careful to count them correctly. But once again, according to management, I failed, leaving some stacks which should have had 10 cups with only six, a very sloppy mistake.

When confronted, I assured management that it was simply not possible that I had miscounted the cups so badly. Since I was obviously a lazy and also smart-alecky punk 16 year old, they must know better so they "terminated my employment".

About a week later the assistant manager was closing on a weekend in my slot and had developed the same inability to count that I had. Come to find out the weekend janitorial crew had learned that by pulling the drawer out above the carefully locked cup cabinet they could help themselves to cups with which to use to capture free drinks from our unlocked soda fountain.

So I was vindicated but alas was not invited back.

Even though in my career I became part of management, I worked very hard to make sure and not make snap or arbitrary personnel decisions based on limited facts.

This was the only time I was ever fired for cause.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was 20 I was fired from a hearing aid company for punching in late twice within 30 days. I punched in at 7:01am one day and a couple weeks later I punched in at 7:02.

Yes, they had a zero tolerance late punch in policy.

Nevermind that every day at 3:20 pm people would form a line about 50 feet long in front of the time clock waiting to punch out for the day. They'd grab their timecard, get in line, chat with their coworkers and when 3:30 rolls around there was a rapid punching of time cards and quick evacuation of workers. I was never one of these people in line waiting to peel out of the workplace.

The person that fired me went on to become the president of this hearing aid company, the largest of its kind in the United States. A couple of years ago this guy was convicted of defrauding the company's ESOP of over $15M. He is currently serving a 7 year prison sentence.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
When I was 20 I was fired from a hearing aid company for punching in late twice within 30 days. I punched in at 7:01am one day and a couple weeks later I punched in at 7:02.

Yes, they had a zero tolerance late punch in policy.
That certainly brought back a memory. As a teenager I had a summer job where the manager would stand next to the time clock to make sure nobody punched in a minute early or punched out a minute late. They would have had to pay overtime if that happened, and he wasn't about to let anyone earn an extra cent.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That certainly brought back a memory. As a teenager I had a summer job where the manager would stand next to the time clock to make sure nobody punched in a minute early or punched out a minute late. They would have had to pay overtime if that happened, and he wasn't about to let anyone earn an extra cent.

Yesterday was talking with a sister and we were talking about a living wage etc as one of our sisters is big into the $15 per hour...

She said that her son worked for Walmart and his schedule was 19 hours a week... no more... period... was told even if you are working with a customer you better clock out as they did not allow 20 hours... you got fired if you went there....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Yep. Got hired to work for someone who was pretty laid-back. When I started a month later, I had a new boss. She was a micro manager and I couldn't deal with it. Company announced a new location and asked for volunteers to move. I volunteered. They asked me why and I told them the truth. I think I told them that she was crazy and I couldn't work for her. Lesson learned for the rest of my working career. Telling the truth may not be in your best interests with your employer! Keep yo mouth shut!
So true.
Had a new manager, she was unskilled at the job she was supervising, and decided she should have her new group answer an "anonymous" survey about her.
This survey had a lot of questions, and one I answered was about work attire. I said she should wear longer skirts so we don't see her underwear as it was inappropriate for the mostly male staff.
Needless to say work got harder, and I quickly got PIPed. My time looked short.

Another Manager saw her unreasonableness and took me into his group
Old 03-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got what was on the surface a very good job with lots of financial upside and skill building for a recent high school graduate. After about two months I decided that it was not what I wanted to do the rest of my life and it kind of sucked anyways. I started to intentionally slack off and do the bare minimum. Nothing happened for the next couple weeks until I started showing up late and backtalking supervisors and questioning any little thing that I didn't agree with. I drug this out a few weeks and was finally fired and given a two week severance and told they would not contest an unemployment claim. I milked that for months while living out of my truck and climbing and backpacking the west. Great times.
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was 23 I was fired after returning to work 2 weeks after an emergency gallbladder surgery. This was the cutting kind- no laparoscopic then. The jerks who ran the company had told me if I didn't return to work I'd be fired. So, I did return (I was single) and worked as best I could on half doses of codeine. I was very unwell still and they fired me in no time at all. My doctor was POd & said he'd write a letter if I was gonna sue them- wish I'd had the funds for that.

They were vile people. It took me 3 weeks to find another job through a very good friend. Once they heard I was working they had their lawyer write me a letter stating I was in violation of my non-compete contract! Geez! I called the owner (who'd fired me) and told him to go @#$% himself and the horse he road in on. I told him I couldn't wait to tell a judge how and why I got fired. Unbelievable how awful some folks are.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #71

When I was very young in my career (lawyer) I was working for a solo lawyer. I hated the job. So I started looking for another job. One day I get called in and asked directly if I was looking for another job. He said the secretary had told him I had gone for an interview the prior day. That was all true and I admitted it. He said things were obviously not working out and paid me 2 weeks severance and I was gone that day.

What I learned from this:

1. Don't tell other employees your plans (telling the secretary who also didn't like the boss was a mistake).

2. In my next job I had a lot of success and found a colleague I worked with for the rest of my career. Being fired was the best thing that ever happened to me.

3. I should have saved money. I was scared to death when I was fired because I had no savings. My mother said I would move back home (200+ miles away) but I didn't want to do that. I knew that the severance would allow me to cover my next rent but I had to find a job fast. Thankfully, I was able to quickly find a job and it all worked out. But it was a scary couple of weeks.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:04 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I got hired to replace a guy who was supposedly a legend who left for what he thought was greener pastures. I was never able to figure out my boss or what it was that he wanted me to do, except that it wasn't what I was doing. After about a year of this the legend decided he wanted to come back and I was unceremoniously sent packing to make room for him. Bad part was it was in the middle of the 1991 recession and it took me about 8 months to find another job. Good part is that the new job was the last job I ever had (25 years). Definitely took a major hit to my confidence, but I felt better about it when I learned the backstory.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup. I was dating the chairman's granddaughter, which was fine until I proposed to her. Bang! I was on the street, with no notice. Long story, we just celebrated our 53rd anniversary, so no regrets.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
...In my next job I had a lot of success and found a colleague I worked with for the rest of my career. Being fired was the best thing that ever happened to me...
you got that right! i was fired from a job on the next-to-last-day of my 1yr probationary period and was bitter and angry about that. but had that not happened i likely would not have tried for the job i subsequently found and had vastly more success with. i spent the next nearly 28-yrs there retiring at 55 as deputy administrator. being fired from a job can be a character builder if one is honest with themselves.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

The company my DW worked for was looking to replace the receptionist. They ran a blind ad (no company name and PO Box to respond to). The receptionist saw the ad and the required qualifications and decided to reply to the ad. She kept the job for years after that.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #76
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was laid off 4 times but was able to find subsequent jobs relatively soon.
However, each one still hurts me, though I must admit that they were justified (mismatch of job requirements vs. my skills)
CuriousJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by catii View Post
Yup. I was dating the chairman's granddaughter, which was fine until I proposed to her. Bang! I was on the street, with no notice. Long story, we just celebrated our 53rd anniversary, so no regrets.
Considering the happy ending, could it be that this was not a conventional firing, but just granddad's wisdom to avoid any potential for later nepotism complaints?
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Laid off
Old 03-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Laid off

Four years ago I was called into a meeting with HR and informed they were moving my job to another state. I got a generous severance package and found a new job right away - so it worked out well for me and I was able to add to my FIRE stash.

It wasn't fun at the time but it worked out really well in the end.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #79

If you haven’t seen the film, Up in the Air, I highly recommend it. George Clooney plays a guy whose job it is to fire people around the US for companies which outsourced such unpleasant things. Here is the trailer: http://https://youtu.be/En0DYdjMVoY
Old 03-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #80

Well not yet but I still sort of expect it. In terms of a layoff at least.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote