Join Early Retirement Today

Have you ever slapped or been slapped?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you ever slapped or been slapped?

After watching yet another movie where a woman slaps someone and thinking about one of the final episodes of the season of Grey's Anatomy, I began to wonder if I've lived too sheltered a life. They showed Meredith's father slapping her. This was a first for me (a man slapping a female) but I've seen so many TV shows and films where a woman slaps a man or a woman slaps a woman. I've never slapped or been slapped, even as a kid (name calling sufficed----and I think I remember one hair puller). Does slapping really occur in real life? Is it really a slap-happy world out there?
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never slapped or been slapped. For that matter, I've never witnessed it happening to anyone else either, except in movies and on television.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom slapped me when I was 15 and used the F word.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My Mother was a volatile woman completely capable of kicking the crap out of me, my Dad and my brothers. It would not do her justice to call this slapping.

Once out of her reach I saw to it that I never got into striking distance of anyone else so inclined.

Ha
Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No, haven't seen any slapping. The few fights I have have seen involved punches (one in a pizza parlor of all places).
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
My mom slapped me when I was 15 and used the F word.
mom did the same to my brother and he really was a (looking around for any stalkers) s.o.b. growing up. that was the only time mom hit either of us. being unpracticed in the art of the slap, mom caught the side of my brother's face with her ring and hurt him pretty badly. i think she felt terrible about that for the rest of her life.

i've never been or slapped anyone. oh, wait, we're not talking about sex, right?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been slapped by two women in my life. I remember the incidents like they were yesterday. In each case the woman was responding to a perceived verbal injustice by lashing out physically. Both were a long time ago, before I found my inner strength, and sad to say I continued dating each for some months afterwards.

Today, there is no way I would tolerate that kind of crap from anyone. Life is too short to waste it on people who can't control their anger.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Never slapped or been slapped that I recall.

My mother told me her mother used to slap her on a regular basis.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #9

I've wanted to slap some people. I just can't figure out how to do it to some of the posters on this board through the internet.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
oh, wait, we're not talking about sex, right?
I think that is referred to as a spanking.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

my mother slapped me on the face once when I was a teenager. It shocked the bejeezus out of both of us......and from the vantage of age and experience, I know I REALLY deserved it...

Otherwise, a totally slap-free life, either giving or receiving.....

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #12

I've never been slapped nor have I slapped someone. I have been punched, which turned out to be a BIG mistake on his part, I required an icepak, he needed the emergency room

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
I've wanted to slap some people. I just can't figure out how to do it to some of the posters on this board through the internet.
Hey, next time i'm down in AZ I'll stop by, if ya wanna give it a whirl...

Been playfully slapped by a few women.

Slapped one guy when I came to the determination that he probably wasnt manly enough to take a punch.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I went to Catholic schools and was slapped by teachers 3 times. 2 of them I probably deserved and 1 I didn't.
ron244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope, never a slapper nor a slappee...

It *is* assault, you know?

Slighlty extending the topic, I think it is pretty bad that TV and other cultural cues make it seem that any disagreement ends in a slap or punch, and any police interrogation ends with the 'perp' (actually suspect, BTW) getting whacked around by an incensed out of control cop we are supposed to identify with, since they are shown to have had a personal experience associated with the crime. But that is obviously no excuse, and no action is never taken on the officer's actions...

Hopefully, without coming across as someone who does not understand the impetus behind 'dramatic license', I would say the negative effects of such works are real. I recently sat in a Miami restaurant, doing some work on my laptop, alone. Two youngish guys came in in plain clothes, wearing gold shields and guns clipped on belts, slapping shoulders... they sat down and were not overly obtrusive at first. But then a third and forth guy showed up, no obvious 'police gear' hanging off of these two, and joined their table. As I was the only one in the section besides them, and appeared obviously engrossed in my work, they were not feeling inhibited. The obviously more senior officer of the group began to talk more and more derisively, and more boisterously... soon, even though I was intent on my work, I could not avoid capturing phrases like: "I told him, 'I'll have you crying for your momma in a few minutes, so give it up NOW..."... "Yeah, I had to get a little creative around his punk head..."... and, "When he saw the gun come out, he knew it was 'go time'..." as this guy regaled self-important tales of braggadocio.

It made me sick as a citizen to overhear this guy, and his three rapt listeners, even if much of what he was saying was puffery.

So, I am not much for slapping or for endorsing other forms of physical violence.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Yep. Lots of times.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yep. Lots of times.

I've been a police officer for 24 years. I've seen a lot of people get slapped. I've been hit more times than I can remember. Slapped a few myself.

A couple points:

I've never, I mean never, obtained a confession from a suspect using threats or violence. These people are used to threats and violence so you aren't giving them anything they haven't lived through before. In fact, if the suspect goes far enough with me to get inside a small room, let me tell him his rights (aka: shut up, Dumbass, you don't have to say anything) and he still wants to speak to me, with enough time, I'll usually get a confession without anyone raising their voice, including the suspect.

TV is BS. I have never seen a police show that honestly portrays the police. I don't watch "Cops". (I mean, really, do any of you want to watch shows about your 40-60 hour work weeks? Not me. I want to retire not relive it).

Regarding the cop in the restaurant: We do talk about fights we've been in. By the time they are repeated they've usually been exaggerated mostly with humor. The cop may have been bragging, he may have been joking. He may be a jerk, but we talk about our jobs with each other just like any other employee.

Final point. Police work is not a death-defying terror ride. It's boring a lot of the time. Sometimes it's dangerous and sometimes you're scared, but if you're smart, use good tactics and have a little luck on your side from time to time it's like any other job. You just do it.

I am not sticking up for all police officers. Some of them suck. Most are good people. Having said that, frankly, I'm tired of the job. But it has supported my family and for the most part, it is an honorable profession.

Ron
r2021t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't remember ever being slapped; when I was a kid, I threw a punch that caught a very surprised bully in the nose.
Unfortunately, I do remember seeing my old man slap my mom around ...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Slapped many times by mom and dad but I really was an SOB, some folks think it's wrong but I turned out almost normal.

City kid, many fist fights (1 gang fight), never slapped anyone but wished I had. Broke both hands in seperate incidents punching jerks in the face. Movies are a crock. Heads and faces are hard. I learned to wait for the first punch from the other guy and just dip your head. Mine is like cement. After they break their hand (happened twice also) a lot of the fight is gone out of them.

Heel of your hand packs a wallop and don't break knuckles. Knees and forearms are bruttle if your in the right position. I was a Varsity Wrestler in High School....

My last fight was at 19 or 20 years old. Helps to grow up and realize how stupid it all was..

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron244 View Post
I went to Catholic schools and was slapped by teachers

Oh does THAT count? In that case, yep, been slapped a whole lotta times.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Does slapping really occur in real life? Is it really a slap-happy world out there?
You need to stop by our dojang on a sparring night... I've had the crap kicked out of me several times by my daughter, but I can still throw a harder punch.

Some dojangs don't let kids & parents spar each other, other dojangs leave it up to the family. I leave it up to her to set up the rules (head shots or no head shots, handicap or not) and then I get to try to come up with the surprises.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote