Join Early Retirement Today

Have you exercised lately?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you exercised lately?

Motivator: Quarterly doctors appointment with the obligatory blood test coming up in three weeks. [FYI: You can choose lie to the doctor but that blood test is the ultimate lie detector]. So I’ve been hitting my stationary bike for a few days now and yesterday I added 15 minutes on our elliptical. Yep we have a Bike, an Elliptical, and Treadmill (all of different vintages) in front of a TV in the basement - so no excuses.

Sweet Moses at the end of that 15 minutes I was a panting mess. Clearly I am out of shape maybe the ‘Dust Bunnies’ on the equipment I am going to clean after I logoff here will explain the situation. For me once I get started - that is after that first day I am fine exercising. I am also fond of long walks when the weather isn’t miserable.

Today I’ll have to hit it pretty hard as last night i discovered what Cioppino is (Italian: Spicey red sauce with clams, mussels, shrimp with pasta). It was sensational and reminded me of Zupa di pesce that I’ve always loved..

Have you had success ‘hittin it’?
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of my exercise these days comes from working on my cars. Climbing over, under and around them, not to mention twisting into some really awkward positions. It can be a good workout, especially when you are getting, "older". Might as well do something you enjoy while getting some exercise. It doesn't get my heart rate up very high, unless things aren't going so well and I begin to exercise my extensive adult vocabulary.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Lost 36 pounds last year when I retired, but gained back 15.
So hit my stationary bike just yesterday to start to lose the 15 pounds again.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

Happy to encourage you to get back at it. Im sure you’ll look and feel wonderful after.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I gained some of the 36 you lost and I didn't stop the gym time. Eating habits will trump gym time. I am back to watching what I eat and target 1 lb per month to be a success over 18 months.

Mo chikin fo dinner!!!
Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought a Total Gym and started using it 2 weeks ago. so far so good. I also walk 2 or 3 times a week for 30-60 Minutes
Livefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I ride my bikes 1-2 hours about four days a week. These are typically high effort rides so quite a few calories. I have just bought a TRX and floor mat to add some core and upper body work.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

I just got back from vacation hiking NZ. 90 miles of mountain hiking with pack. Lost 14 pounds.
I think that was exercise.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks rayinpenn.
After having the initial tons of extra time to exercise, I then started "rewarding" myself with too many snacks. I know makes no sense, but will get it done.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I walk 2-3 miles daily along with other activities. Wet and cool today so will ride my stationary bike this morning. I admit though, I can get lazy(more than normal) during the winter. Got a few lbs to work off. For some reason....comfort food is so much better during the winter.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We do the gym 3x weekly. Use cardio for a nice warm up for the weight machines.

It's been a litlle muddy to walk our road(we normally walk 30 minutes to get the mail), so we go down to a local trail or paved path.

There's miles of paved trails in our development. A few miles away there's a walkway along the river or behind our house is a trail in the national forest.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Hit Planet Fitness at least four times a week and golf weekly.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We walk 4 miles 3-4 times a week. Winter rains are a challenge for consistency, however. The hill we walk up nets a gain of 1200 feet elevation, which is excellent for staying in shape for hiking. I keep saying I should lift weights to gain upper body strength but that never seems to happen.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #14

I do at least half hour on the exercise bike every day but usually do more than that. Did 2.5 hours of cardio on Friday at the gym. Felt great!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #15

Ray, be careful- binge working out may not be good for you. You need to monitor your heart rate. I use a Polar chest strap linked to my phone. Aim for about 80% of max and try to keep it from spiking too fast. It will take a while for your workouts to effect your blood work. Better to adopt a routine that’s sustainable. Slow, steady, frequent. Good luck.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #16

After I retired last year I started hitting the gym routinely (which I was paying for but not using much). I also cleared off the coat rack elliptical in the basement. At first I was much like the OP, panting madly and totally beat after 15 minutes, but with a bit of perseverance I quickly built up stamina. There's 30 pounds less of me now despite the fact that I haven't made much attempt to diet, other than the fact that I tend to eat more reasonably since I'm eating lunch at home and I'm not stressed out all the time.

Hang in there!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm reminded of when DW and I started walking in our MO home. It was very hilly, everything was uphill, down hill, or sideways.

The first mile we walked took 48 minutes, requiring we stopped multiple times to allow my heart rate to slow down. I really thought I was going to die. Six months later I was doing that walk in 15 minutes, trying to do it in 12 minutes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #18

Off to Australia land + cruise in 3 weeks so ramping it up to comfortably fit into a pencil skirt. REFUSE to go up a size. No scale so I gauge whether I gain or lose by how my clothes fit. It's tight. I can do it

Now doing 2.5-3 mIles a day 3 × a week with elevation changes. Adding a day. I look at a gym when I walk past it. No desire to go in but I added weights @ home & tops fit great.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I've become one of those people that gyms count on: my monthly payment has become a non-deductible donation. I was going to restart in January, but then thought better of it, not wanting to be labelled as a "Resolutioner". So now I'm waiting for the perfect time to jump back in. Soon...I'm sure of it.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I walk 10-15mi at 4mph per week, a bit of strength training here and their and some HIIT stair climbing. Still 5lbs overweight. Will start the sugar/carbs/portion control limits next......