Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Have You Fallen Near Or Far From The Family Fruit Tree?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Zipper patriarchal line and surname dates back to 1840 when my grandfather's grandfather was born on a boat from Germany.

They settled in the Niagara region of Ontario. My Grandfather and father worked on Railways running through St. Thomas.

The matiarchal line has a Scottish surname and has been in ON for 200+ years.

Up until about 1900 the border was not a factor and Canadian and American citizens pretty well crossed at will.

In 1900 Detroit had a population of ~ 400 000 and we know what has happened since then!

Mrs. Zipper on the other hand has had a more recent NA history.

She emigrated as a child from England with her parents and sister in 1952. Her Aunts however took a different track and married Americans ending up in Napa and Albuquerque.

We see them every few years in Vegas.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

So Gengis Khan could be looking down on us saying, "Who's your Daddy?!"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Have You Fallen Near Or Far From The Family Tree?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My maternal grandparents came to the US. Midwest from Eastern Europe, first to Ohio, then to Indiana. ... most of the children stayed in Indiana, tho a couple headed to Michigan. The next couple of generations are a bit more spread out. As for me, I'm still in Indiana.

DH's grandparents came from E. Europe and settled on the East Coast. Most of his family is there ... he must be the outsider since he went to school in the Midwest, then lived in the the SW and the South for a while before landing in Indiana.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

About 8,000 miles away, or 10 time zones. No plan to go back.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Military brat here. Moved around alot while young. Went to college "far away, as far away as I could get." After college went to Europe. Siblings spread out over 7 states, but all settled in for the duration. I've been in the same job and house for the last 12 years. Nearest relatives are at least 3 states away.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #26
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I lived in just 2 homes from the time I started school until I was out on my own, but since then, moved so many times that the rest of the family joked that we needed a separate address book just to keep up.

I lived in ~30 different places in the 38 years since moving away from home (at 18), counting living on the boat as just one place. (Although we moved pretty much all the time while on the boat, we didn'thave to pack or unpack anything, so it doesn't count.) About 10 of those places were while working for Uncle Sam.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Pop once said that there were two kinds of people in the world...
(stop me if you have heard this one! ):
those who stay home and those who don't.

We didn't/don't.

In each generation of a family, most folks like where they are/grew up/went to school and stay there. But there are always a few who move on, in our cases for work or for a better life or religious freedom. Of course, some of their children stay put, but one or two in each generation pick up and go. My wife and I come from the latter background. Her family on one side were actually pioneers. Our siblings stayed put, but we didn't. I count over 20 major moves in my life.

I don't agree with CFB's comment about moving being a recent thing. Discretionary moving or holidays in Hawaii, maybe. Don't forget that the New World has been populated by immigration for about 500 years (more, if we remember that the aboriginal peoples were immigrants themselves).

Daneboy's handle suggested a few comments:

The Danes have a saying, "People have feet, not roots", to explain travel.

And then there is this: When I worked for Danes, I found that they would fearlessly relocate around the world for their work, sometimes for many years, but the same people would agonize about moving their permanent homestead across town when back home in Denmark.

And a friend observed that Denmark's greatest export was people.

Ed

"...listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go "
e e cummings
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Since being married 36 years ago both DW and myself live in the same small town in which we were born and raised.

Gonzo
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm living in the same house that my Grandmother's uncle built back in 1916. So that shows you how far I've fallen. She lives across the street, in the same house that she and my Granddad bought in 1950. And her cousin lives next door to me, in her mother's old house, which she inherited in 1971.

I figure I'll stick around at least until I retire. My job is only about 3 1/2 miles away. I'd almost be tempted to stay even after I retire, but this area (Maryland, DC suburbs) is just getting too crowded and too expensive.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My parents grew up on Long Island and Queens, where their parents lived for their whole lives. My parents retired and moved to NH, and my grandparents have all passed away. My parents' siblings are all in New England as well, so we have no ties to Long Island or Queens anymore.

My sister lives in MA, so I am the apple farthest from my parents' "replanted" tree, as I am in Washington, DC.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
When I worked for Danes, I found that they would fearlessly relocate around the world for their work, sometimes for many years, but the same people would agonize about moving their permanent homestead across town when back home in Denmark.
I can see that. I have a townhouse on the East Coast that I consider "home", but every so many months my work takes me to some place in other parts of the country, where I may stay for many weeks or months depending on the client's requirements. I have worked out of 13 states so far and it looks like #14 is looming on the horizon.

For a single person, I find it to be a pretty good balance between the stability and financial advantages of owning your own place and the variety that comes with travel. Unfortunately, it also tends to help you stay single*
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Scrooge,

It is tough if you are married, too. Travel on business has broken up many marriages of good people that I know.

Good luck.

Gypsy
Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been a bit of a nomad. Born in CA. My Dad was Army, and we lived in MD for several years, then 3 years in Munich Germany, MD again for 3 years, back to CA, Dreux France (college in Munich) for 2 years, then finished college in CA.

After going to work for a couple of multinationals, I had 8 years in CA, then 2 years in PR, 5 years in CA, 3 years in Dublin, Ireland, then a long spell - 17 years in CA. After that 1 year in Thailand, 1 year in the Phillipines, and now 5 years back in CA, about 2 hours from my birthplace.

Even after all of that, DW and I travel out of the country for a month or so most years. This year was Italy. Started in Venice, then to Florence, Siena, Perugia and finished up in Rome. Great time!
foxhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote