Join Early Retirement Today

Have you seen this shrub/tree?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen this shrub/tree?

Martha's, Cut-Throat's, and LG4NB's garden photos remind me that I've been trying to improve my knowledge of a mystery plant.

I've e-mailed photos to UH's Tropical Agriculture College, a horticulture society, and the highway dept but no one has bothered to respond.* I was griping about this to spouse when she asked "What do the ERs think?"* Well, (*headsmack*) duh.* I should've thought of asking you guys months ago.

To prevent slow down the weeds from invading our back yard, we've been planting bougainvillea and this tree below (outside of) our property line. The tree has leaves like a podocarpis but I've never seen the flowers & fruits/seeds before. Both plants grow on neglected highway medians all over the state so I know they don't need water or care. I've never seen one looking sickly or dead. The tree's fruit/seeds drop & roll downhill to propagate without any help from us, and they don't come uphill to further invade our yard. They grow as tall as 15 feet, almost perpetually in bloom & fruit, but I usually see them about 8-10 feet. The tree in this picture is about seven feet tall and four years old.

If things go according to my plan then in the next decade this tree will shade out the haole koa & the jungle grass that have been invading the rest of our property.

So, can anyone tell me what it is?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Have you seen this shrub/tree?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
So, can anyone tell me what it is?
OMG!!!! POD PEOPLE!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

nm
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #4

Does it flower? Does the fruit ripen to another color?
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

sorry, not familiar. i like how the flower hangs simlar to the hallucinogenic datura plant. i'd suggest sending your pics to our local agrcultural extension service but i'm aware so much on hawaii is native only to there. you should bring a sample in person to a master gardener at your local office.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

3rd from the left resembles a brugmancia, though can't make out enough detail. Do the flowers hang down and have a trumpet-like shape?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
Does it flower? Does the fruit ripen to another color?
Um, yeah.* Here's the link if you missed the text's color change:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ystery%20tree/

The fruit starts out as dark green, lightens up as it grows to about 2" diameter, falls off, and turns black as the seed germinates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
3rd from the left resembles a brugmancia, though can't make out enough detail. Do the flowers hang down and have a trumpet-like shape?
Yes, the trumpet-shaped flowers do hang like a brugmancia.* They're only 2-3" long and maybe 1-2" across the mouth.* But the bees think they're yummy.

From what I can see on Google images the brugmancia doesn't have leaves like a podocarpis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
sorry, not familiar. i like how the flower hangs simlar to the hallucinogenic datura plant. i'd suggest sending your pics to our local agrcultural extension service but i'm aware so much on hawaii is native only to there. you should bring a sample in person to a master gardener at your local office.
Well, the ag extension is UH. That didn't work out the first time.

But, yeah, I'm afraid that all the remaining options involve hauling my butt out of the recliner and hitting the road...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Could it be:

the cascabela thevetia, or the "be still tree?"

Another image:

[img width=750 height=562]http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/hires/starr_010818_0043_cascabela_thevetia.jpg[/img]

See the UH botany site: http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/Faculty/Carr/apocyn.htm

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Could it be: the cascabela thevetia, or the "be still tree?"
Damn you're good. Thank you!!

Yes, there's plenty of white sap. I didn't realize it's poisonous. It's either "be still or thevetia nereifolia, which all look like different names for the same thing.

I'm planting oleander?!? Make sense, given how it thrives on neglect.

How did you do that so fast? I've unsuccessfully tried search terms like podocarpis, orange flower, green pod, and so on. I found thousands of UH images from their botany curriculum, but I never realized the professors had similar pages.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I found the university botany site by searching for hawaiian flowering shrubs identification guides.* Once I found a guide I could find the family by the simple whorled leaves and type of flower.* I like plant identification.*

Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been able to identify trees using google, you just have to trial-and-error your way through various combinations of characteristics like leaves, fruit, sexuality, bark, etc. After narrowing down possibilities, you can check a few out with image searches, then go back and re-refine if you realize you're on a wrong track. Or, if you're more knowledgable and used to printed plant guides, you can try to identify things by looking through various appropriate sites/books.

Martha beat me to this one, but I was at work!
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #12

P.S. Martha, what kind of flower was that one in your old avatar?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I am at work too. I just finished my comments on a salt production contract and now am going to do an assignment and control agreement.

All because of you Dood I changed my Avatar. For now.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #14

Are you sure it's not Pakalolo?

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB

I wouldn't smoke it!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Well, I'm better at some kinds of plant identification than others, and extensive testing had already ruled out that possibility!

In 1985 the Navy actually sent me to a one-week marijuana identification school. Back then we were required to be credibly expert in our opinion that we observed someone smoking dope, so we had to be trained. Of course that logic didn't extend to cocaine or a host of other substances, but luckily I wasn't selected for urinalysis training.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Damn you're good. Thank you!!
Kudos, Martha.

If it's in the oleander family, the flowers are like none other I have seen either in Fla or Az - always have these small, upright or lateral beautiful flowers. But the leaves are clearly like my oleanders.

I'd reinforce the warning about being poisonous. It's a neurotoxin and present in all parts of the plant. My friend's dog got into chewing the leaves on his oleander one time. Came back completely goofy - foaming, eyes flicking back and forth (nystagmus), vomiting and almost died. I'd take that warning seriously.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #18

Quote:
I'd reinforce the warning about being poisonous. It's a neurotoxin and present in all parts of the plant. My friend's dog got into chewing the leaves on his oleander one time. Came back completely goofy - foaming, eyes flicking back and forth (nystagmus), vomiting and almost died. I'd take that warning seriously.
It could also have been one hell of a high
Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I guess that is why the family Apocynaceae is also called Dogbane.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #20

Cool looking tree. I wonder if it would survive in the Washington DC area? It would be interesting to plant it in the same area where I have a Japanese Knotweed problem, and see which one wins out!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote