Having Vs. Doing Vs. Being

Oywey,lazygood4nothinbum ,

I recall being fairly good in philosophy class. But, if I could sort all of that out, I'd fire Buddha, God and Yahweh.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I just do what feels comfortable and satisfying to me, which can be as mundane as reading, listening to music, relaxing, being with animals, etc.

Tango,
I am not sure how much use this observation is to you, but it seems to me that doing and being are not separate categories. You even use the word "do" to describe those activities which feel to you like just "being". Maybe a better way to think about your activities is to scale them by energy level, cost, and/or geographical distance from your home. Then it would just be having vs. doing. This dichotomy is, to me, a cleaner and simpler way to look at the subject. Of course, unless one is a monk or comatose, it is necessary to have a certain amount of material things, but I suspect that the great majority of the people on this forum place a higher priority on doing than having, generally. I certainly do. Playing chess or skydiving can both be rewarding. There is another expression besides "cop out" which you may not have heard in a while---"well rounded person".

As far as the "Bucket List" movie goes, I have not seen it but I have seen a trailer (what ever happened to "preview"?) and it seems as if the characters' list does consist of high adrenaline activities. I think my personal list would be less frenetic.

Another, perhaps useful, observation: Meditation is one of the lowest energy activities, but few practitioners use it to escape or retreat from an active life. It is, rather, usually used as a tool which enables them to be involved in life in a wide-awake, energetic and purposeful manner.

BTW, I agree that this thread and its two predecessors have been very enjoyable. Thank you three forum members for starting them.

Here's what I'm doing these days...looking after two foster kittens that required bottle feeding for the first two weeks I had them. Now they are eating on their own. We call newly weaned kittens "weaners" in the rescue biz. BTW, the last four kittens I fostered are all adopted now:)

This week I also repainted some antique metal lawn chairs and our old wheelbarrow. I love doing things where I can observe an improvement - something old made shiny and new again and some abandoned kittens growing and thriving. My working life rarely gave me such satisfaction.

Never been too much into the having thing. But, for me, doing and being are often intertwined.

Attachments

• Coventry.JPG
    Coventry.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Padington.JPG
    Padington.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 2
Here's what I'm doing these days...looking after two foster kittens that required bottle feeding for the first two weeks I had them. Now they are eating on their own. We call newly weaned kittens "weaners" in the rescue biz. BTW, the last four kittens I fostered are all adopted now:)

This week I also repainted some antique metal lawn chairs and our old wheelbarrow. I love doing things where I can observe an improvement - something old made shiny and new again and some abandoned kittens growing and thriving. My working life rarely gave me such satisfaction.

Never been too much into the having thing. But, for me, doing and being are often intertwined.

I do not want kittens.

I do not want kittens.

I do not want kittens.

if I could sort all of that out

such dilemma: to elucidate or distill. out of nothing arises being and from being arises doing and having. sans doing & having, being is nothing. doing and having anchor being within existence. so doing and having require being (the superior) while to remain in existence being requires doing and having (the inferiors). slaves are required for the existence of the master.

nothing births being. being births doing & having. sans being, doing and having do not arise. without doing and having, being dies. doing births having but not having eliminates doing.

so you must be to do to have and you must have to do to be.

so you must be to do to have and you must have to do to be.
The precursors to that conclusion do not seem to have necessary connections, good hypotheticals.

I live where the sound of one hand clapping is thunderous.

Last edited:
I vote for "Doing" - "Doing" is "Being" for me -

I tried just "Being" for awhile, but found I always get bored & eventually start "Doing".

"Being is doing" -- Rene Descartes
"Doing is Being" -- Jean Paul Sartre
"Do-be-do-be-do" -- Frank Sinatra

I just finished the book 'Harmonic Wealth' by James Ray and thought it might be of interest to the conversation. It deals with all five pillars of your life (financial, relational, mental, physical, and spiritual) and shows you how to create true wealth (as in well-being!) in your life. The very practical applications have made a big difference in my life – and could do the same for you.
Here’s the link: harmonicwealth.com/read

a James Ray fan

Thanks, everyone, for your comments (and the adorable photos, Purron---could those kittens be any cuter?!?). Here's what I have learned:

* People may change according to circumstance and time from an emphasis in one of the areas to another---and that's okay.
* People on this board don't emphasize the having, although there are some things that they do have/own/buy that give pleasure.
* There may be an overlap between the areas, such as needing to have some equipment to do some things or needing to do some things to be (I do believe there is some value in contemplating one's navel, but not 24/7).
* A balance is probably a good thing---like much else in life.

I did watch The Bucket List yesterday and did see that it was placing an emphasis on doing, such as high adrenaline physical activities and exotic sightseeing, but ultimately it was about male bonding/friendship/family, etc., so there was the being aspect as well....

Back
Top Bottom