He can get the acid in my stomach going like no one else...

I look at that curriculum your kid signed up for and think about the distractions of being off at college and away from home. Colleges have never been setting their students up for success with so many difficult courses on the front end of their college career.

I went to business school in a big city urban university that required more semester hours to graduate than most other universities. We had to maintain a very heavy load of classes and most students took 4/1/2 to 5 years to graduate. The Student Advisors touted to be our friends were actually there to fill up every class with 25 students. They didn't give a rat's a$$ if we were in class at 8:00 am until 9:00 pm.

I am still of the belief that taking a maximum 4 course load with one of them being a fluff course makes for a happier, more enjoyable college career. The slack can be picked up in mini semesters in May or in Summer School.

you know my advisor for my first term don't you. After the first term the guys in my Fraternity were more helpful in being strategic about class loads. Especially Spring Term. Get out early! No Friday classes!

College is where young men go to play video games from 2 pm to 4 am.

Not in my day (graduated 87), my version of the quote would be:
"College is where young men go to drink beer and meet girls". Being in a fraternity was beneficial to both of these :cool: :LOL:

"College is where young men go to drink beer and meet girls". Being in a fraternity was beneficial to both of these :cool: :LOL:

Sadly, neither one describes my college experience. U.S. Naval Academy 1981

College is where young men go to play video games from 2 pm to 4 am.

Not in my day (graduated 69), my version of the quote would be:
"College is where young men go to spend four years hoping that d@mn war ends before I get drafted." It didn't. :(

" He can get the acid in my stomach going like no one else... "

Any idea what you may be doing to your kid's stomach?

DS graduated a year ago with a Comp Sci degree. In many of his courses, he did not buy the book. Often, the professors told them that they book was needed. That they were required to have one but it wasn't necessary. There were some exceptions.

DS graduated with a B average (lower level of B), most of which was dragged down by his grades early on before he decided on his major. His major GPA was actually pretty good. Despite all of this, he did get into grad school. His GRE score and recommendations were enough. (That said, he ended up quitting grad school because he didn't like it).

DS would probably say that during his college years I tried to micromanage him too much. And, I pretty much did. That said -- even though I know he was intellectually capable of making A's in everything -- I did not feel it was for me to try to convince him to get an A instead of a B (or a B instead of a C). He had one bad semester early on (in CC long before he became a CS major). We did tell him that if thereafter made any grade below a C or dropped a course that he would have to pay for the retake of the course. Beyond that, I felt that it was really up to him whether he wanted to do the work to make an A or a B. That is, if he was in good standing and passing his courses then the consequences of graduating with a B average rather than an A average were his.

DS was never much motivated by grades. He is really smart and capable (hence the fact he did well on the GRE), but he didn't really care about making an A versus a B except in rare instances. That will undoubtedly have some consequences for him in terms of his future life. But, those are the consequences that are his.

From our standpoint, we wanted him to get a good education in a field where he could earn a living. He did that. Beyond that -- it will be up to him.

The only Company I interviewed with that wanted a transcript (classes and grades) was Ford.

To this day I rejoice that my GPA was too low for Ford Motor Co to hire me - :)

Robbie makes a good point. Perhaps your son is best suited for a different career path or will find his own way. I'd also point out that GPA expectations/requirements of employers vary greatly. DH worked for a Fortune 100 and a 500 company. Their cut-off was generally a 3.0 for new college grads - however - neither megacorp requested the GPA of job applicants who had work experience in their field. So, it was common for new grads with lower GPAs to get a first job with a different employer, gain experience, then get hired at the megacorp.

Just general advice, as only you know your student and you are paying the education bill.

Usually attending the local PSU results in taking the electives and fluff courses first, then transferring to main campus to get the specialized classes in desired field.

This is accurate for Penn State. DS is an Associate professor there and deals with kids coming in from branch campus with schedules loaded with core major required classes. Generally speaking, they account for her worst performing students.

My epiphany was a manual labor job over the summer between my freshman and sophomore years. It was a hot, difficult job and I realized that while for me it was just a summer gig that for the guys working beside me who were just a couple years older than me, it was their life and they only earned a bit more than the minimum wage that I was earning and that it would be best for me to try harder to succeed in college so I didn't end up in their shoes for the next 30-40 years. I regularly made Dean's list after that.

This ^^^^^^

When I was 16 my dad had a bunch of demolition debris concrete curbs and sidewalks dumped on a side fork on our farm road. My main job all Texas summer was to break it into small pieces with a 8# sledgehammer and get the steel out so it wouldn't cause flats. I still remember the drudgery of those humid summer days.

I actually looked forward to hauling hay and help with roofing houses which seemed like better ways to make the day. I was glad when the school year resumed, I liked school.

My goal in college was to join the military then get a job and think for a living.

We made our kids get jobs. The oldest drug her feet. So I arranged for her to work for a family member's estate law firm based in a former residence near the courthouse.
She working sorting file records in an un- air conditioned garage in the Texas summer. She also routinely had to locate hard to find people doing Internet searches and multiple cold phone calls to unpleasant people.

She made straight A in college. With no desire for law school.

Last edited:
Our daughter did well in college in a very hard course with no outside encouragement. Our son, who has a high IQ, was kicked out by the college for a semester, after his first year. He ended up working in fast food for awhile, before going back and getting 4.0 for the rest of his years. He has a very high paying job as a software architect at a huge firm. It just took him longer to mature.

A few years later, I went to an educational training for work and they talked about brain development. They said most women's brains are fully matured by 20-21. Most men's brains are fully matured at 26-28. The part that lags behind is the part that controls impulsive behavior, risk taking and attention to detail. Since I heard this, I've noticed that some young men close to us have had trouble settling into a path until their mid-20's. It may help to think that maybe they are one of those young men who may take awhile to mature.

Most men's brains are fully matured at 26-28. The part that lags behind is the part that controls impulsive behavior, risk taking and attention to detail.

So, you're saying that there is still hope for some of us?

Whenever I get asked about what to major in college, I always give this advice.

Figure the lifestyle you want to live.
Find out how much money that lifestyle costs.
Find what jobs that make that kind of money.
Prepare and get one of those jobs.
Do the stuff you enjoy in life in your off time, not while you are working.
Agree with tmm99 - very well said.

What I usually tell people is that you get certain opportunities in life. A college degree gives you access to opportunities that would not be available to you without the degree. But, at the end of the day, it's what you do with those opportunities that counts.

I had a friend in college that graduated with a business management degree ... and then did nothing. After bouncing around for a year, he took a minor clerical job that did not even require a high school diploma.

On the other hand, one of my best friends dropped out of high school and went to work for a construction company. 40 years later he's an executive with the company and is about to FIRE.

One had plenty of opportunities and chose not to pursue them. The other had limited opportunities, but made the most of the one he chose.

He complained about the Comp Sci’s professor speaking with an accent and going to fast.
Just an aside: If he wants to work in the IT industry and the accent that bugs him is Indian or Eastern European, he better get used to it or find another line of work. :)

Back
Top Bottom