Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
What my sister in law said in response to "So, where does your new boyfriend work?" (the same SIL with the gambling issue from many years ago for you old timers )...
It was not that many years ago. We have not had any follow-up on this gambling story. As I recall, her husband was about to leave her. Apparently, he did. What happened to their kids? Is she still gambling? Oh man, what a soap opera.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not really a TG story, though I'm sure the following ruined any future family get-togethers (TG included.) I thought of it because of several elements from stories mentioned above.

I know two brothers who married two sisters from the family down the road. It seemed a bit strange at the time, but... In due course, both brothers divorced the two sisters and then married, you guessed it, their brother's ex-wife. I can confirm hard feelings as I attended the brothers' parents' funerals. One brother came to one parent's funeral while the other brother did the other parent's funeral. Don't know if this was by some mutual arrangement, but never again saw any of the "players" in the same room together. At least, no one was murdered from this family tragedy, so there's that. YMMV

I wonder why the ill feelings.... seems like all 4 involved determined that the first marriage was not good and fixed it... everybody should be happy in the end....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It was not that many years ago. We have not had any follow-up on this gambling story. As I recall, her husband was about to leave her. Apparently, he did. What happened to their kids? Is she still gambling? Oh man, what a soap opera.
She divorced. Lost the house. The father has no contact with the kids any more (they hate him for some reason). She moved home with her parents and 2 of her 3 kids still live with her in her parents' house.

She stopped paying her gambling creditors (skipping out on $10-20k of debt probably). They still want their money.

She doesn't have any contact with the old gambling crew as far as we know. I imagine her credit with anyone is gone, and she doesn't have a lot of cash to play anyway.

The family has mostly forgiven her for the gambling, and it's not really an ongoing issue today.

One of her kids managed to escape the crazy house and is bumbling his way through community college (currently in year 3 of a 2 year associates program I think). His aunt and uncle took him in as long as he stays in school. His photography practice is picking up so that might be his career (or something else in the creative realm).

Kid #2 dropped out of high school, can't keep a job, and lives with his mom still (who lives at her parents house - all 3 generations together). He's "planning to get his GED" some day. I think the whole gambling and divorce thing kind of broke him and he just gave up.

Kid #3 is in high school but barely passing. He's kind of given up too, although he seems to be in a better spot lately. During 8th grade he stopped going to school for a while. The mom doesn't really do much (probably depressed).

It's a bit of a tale of two cities over here. DW and I are doing very well financially and her family knows I'm not working and DW is doing part time right now yet we're still doing fine, traveling internationally, etc. The gambling sister is perpetually broke and mopes around a lot. This is the first year she's been to Thanksgiving since the whole gambling drama.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

So, she does not work and hangs around with a biker while packing a loaded gun?

Oh my! Some people have the knack for creating misery for themselves and others around them.

By the way, here's a Gauguin painting titled "Human Misery".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Oh no, the gambler works full time but I guess she blows all the money. She lives with parents at age 44. Maybe chips in for utilities but I get the feeling that's minimal. I think her only expenses are a car payment on a Camry, food, and gas. No health insurance (in spite of the fact that she could get it almost free through ACA subsidies).

It's DW's other sister who has the gun-toting motorcycle riding fiance. That sister is actually doing okay. Same (menial) job for 10 years. No cars repossessed. Owns a modest home with a mortgage. Pays her bills in general. Just likes the excitement of the thug life (or at least did in years past). The gun toting fiance actually seems pretty decent overall. Has a job, takes care of his 3 kids with DWs sister. Also takes care of DW's sister's oldest kid from a different father, and I think the gun toter has another kid with a different woman.

During Thanksgiving, they also asked me to become an internet minister to officiate their wedding. I should ask if I can get an allowance for a kevlar vest rental and some extra money to rent a tux a couple sizes larger to accommodate the bulkiness of the bullet proof vest.

Fun times at chez FUEGO...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

I would have to say the interesting Thanksgiving was when we ( Late husband & I ) showed up at his son's house only to find out his son had eloped . The girl and her family were the picture of trailer trash while the son is educated & conservative . Luckily that marriage was brief .Thanksgiving was interesting as the bride's mother was leaving her husband to run off with someone she met online .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

You all are making my favorite Holiday seem BORING. Fortunately, I savor the drama-free atmosphere. Nothing better than Family, Food, and Football!

OTOH, Xmas will be at the inlaws and it could be a different atmosphere.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #28

I'm convinced every family has some bit of dysfunction... But it doesn't always turn up at holiday meals. We definitely have our share. That said, our family lost some of the drama with my brother and parents deaths... But I still wish they were with us. My late brother's ex-wife had a habit of coming to family gatherings and trying to "dibs" furniture and heirlooms for future inheritance... Given that my parents and grandmother couldn't stand her, that didn't go over well.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My late brother's ex-wife had a habit of coming to family gatherings and trying to "dibs" furniture and heirlooms for future inheritance... Given that my parents and grandmother couldn't stand her, that didn't go over well.

Even if I loved someone, behavior like that would make me rethink my feelings about them. Yikes!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would have to say the interesting Thanksgiving was when we ( Late husband & I ) showed up at his son's house only to find out his son had eloped . The girl and her family were the picture of trailer trash while the son is educated & conservative .
Sort of like this?

(I just love this photo - it encompasses all the stereotypes into one image.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redneck wedding.jpg (146.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
(I just love this photo - it encompasses all the stereotypes into one image.)
What stereotypes?
And how did you get hold of my family album?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My late brother's ex-wife had a habit of coming to family gatherings and trying to "dibs" furniture and heirlooms for future inheritance... Given that my parents and grandmother couldn't stand her, that didn't go over well.
I heard a will and estate lawyer talk about an old lady with no children who was in the hospital and not expected to make it out. She had no will. Surprisingly she recovered to good health and returned home.

Now back at home, she kept finding small post-it notes on the floor with the names of her various relatives. Where they came from was a mystery to her until one day she was retrieving something under a table and saw, fixed to the underside of the table, a post-it note with a relative's name. She snooped around and found many other pieces of furniture with the same thing underneath - a post-note with a relative's name Apparently, some of her family had gone through her house and divided up her possessions while she was still alive. Soon after that she went to a lawyer and had a will drawn up, leaving out the names on the post-it notes. Or, so I am told.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Thanksgiving with the gal's stepbrother and his new wife. At the age of 70 he is converting to Judaism from his Navajo/Seventh Day Adventist upbringing. Not a minor process at all, and not an easy religion to join. New wife and one of her daughters spent all day on their feet cooking; a table with twelve people faced off against two turkeys - 17 and 22# beasts - and all manner of other dishes, followed by seven pies and a cake.
Had a great time, very fun family the new wife brought, had a good time discussing Leviticus, specific versus metaphoric dietary law, and why butter couldn't be used with any meat but a chicken omelet was permissible - unless the eggs were fertilized. Much fun, very sharp group, great Thanksgiving with a lot of warm family feeling.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

calmloki, that group sounds way too cerebral for me.

Walt, nice of them to cut the grass for the wedding.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thanksgiving with the gal's stepbrother and his new wife. At the age of 70 he is converting to Judaism from his Navajo/Seventh Day Adventist upbringing. Not a minor process at all, and not an easy religion to join. New wife and one of her daughters spent all day on their feet cooking; a table with twelve people faced off against two turkeys - 17 and 22# beasts - and all manner of other dishes, followed by seven pies and a cake.
Had a great time, very fun family the new wife brought, had a good time discussing Leviticus, specific versus metaphoric dietary law, and why butter couldn't be used with any meat but a chicken omelet was permissible - unless the eggs were fertilized. Much fun, very sharp group, great Thanksgiving with a lot of warm family feeling.
My sister's family keeps Kosher, so no dairy with dinner. We brought mashed potatoes made without butter or milk, DH used vegetable broth and margarine instead. If my sister's step-daughter is visiting it's a part Kosher part vegetarian Thanksgiving. I've tasted the tofurkey, it was awful. Lately she has loosened up a bit and if we wait 20 minutes for dessert then real whipped cream is ok with the pie.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
.....a table with twelve people faced off against two turkeys - 17 and 22# beasts - and all manner of other dishes, followed by seven pies and a cake.
You guys must know how to eat! 3+ pounds of turkey per person. I bet you were full.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
You guys must know how to eat! 3+ pounds of turkey per person. I bet you were full.
You forgot leftovers.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote