Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"He works at Infidelity Investments"
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"He works at Infidelity Investments"

What my sister in law said in response to "So, where does your new boyfriend work?" (the same SIL with the gambling issue from many years ago for you old timers ).

We've been chuckling off and on throughout the day about that one.

I was also asked for legal advice on carrying a gun - is it legal to have the clip in your hand gun, and if so can you have a round in the chamber? Not being a gun person, a flood of thoughts came to mind like why does chambering a round make a difference ("it saves time") and why do you need a handgun anyway ("crazy sh1t happens when you're riding a motorcycle").

Fun times!

Anyone else got any interesting family tidbits from their Thanksgiving gathering?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone else got any interesting family tidbits from their Thanksgiving gathering?
Blended family Thanksgiving gathering today:

My stepson (DW's son) showed up at our house with the woman he said he divorced this past summer. She is the same woman that had him arrested and put in jail for domestic abuse, although he said he never harmed her (got 5 years probation and weekly rehabilitation classes for a year).

They acted like nothing ever happened. I asked him privately how the single life is going. He said its never been better. I left it there.

DW is still in a bit of shock.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Blended family Thanksgiving gathering today:

My stepson (DW's son) showed up at our house with the woman he said he divorced this past summer. She is the same woman that had him arrested and put in jail for domestic abuse, although he said he never harmed her (got 5 years probation and weekly rehabilitation classes for a year).

They acted like nothing ever happened. I asked him privately how the single life is going. He said its never been better. I left it there.

DW is still in a bit of shock.

Even if I did have anything good to post, it wouldn't top that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Even if I did have anything good to post, it wouldn't top that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming this.

You should have seen the family dynamics when my DW's three grown children all got divorced from their first spouses a few years ago, all within a one year of each other. (her son was with wife No. 1 at that time)

I could write a book, but nobody would believe this stuff.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not Thanksgiving, but interesting...

I was in a wedding once. We were all standing in front of the church, waiting for the doors to open. The Groom, the best man who was the grooms brother, and myself and others. The two brothers did not always get along, but we were all hoping for an hour of peace on the wedding day.

One brother said something to the other, and a fight broke out. Two guys, both over 6' and 200 lbs, swinging fists as fast as they could fly.

We got the fight broke up, and delayed the wedding by about 20 minutes or so to get things calmed down. No bad bruises or torn tuxes. The one brother was kicked out of the wedding, then back again. The wife, who was also in the wedding, didn't know if she was supposed to come out to meet her other half or not until it was actually the time.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A pickle from the relish tray had fallen on the floor.

"Don't back up, there's a pickle behind you"

"......I've heard that a few times before...."
Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

thanksgiving could not have been better! DW and I cooked for 5, DD who visited inlaws .....big family, shared dinner with 54. We enjoyed food, conversation, talked about "old days" when grandparents lived differently.....talked about saving money, after the depression in envelopes.....coming to America from the "old country' , DW baked great pies,it was just a nice, nice evening. Wish everyone else had as nice a Thanksgiving as we had yesterday........today, great leftovers....home for dinner tonight as well.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I could write a book, but nobody would believe this stuff.
I would, I've seen and heard too many true stories like that.

When DW and I first started dating she wanted to invite me to her family Christmas dinner but she said she was afraid to because she thought her family was weird. My response was "You think your family is weird? Come to my family's Christmas dinner."

That was the year my ex-half-sister-in-law showed up with her out of wedlock son (by then in his 20's) that no one else had a clue even existed. She's the one who shot and killed my half-brother in a family fight when he was drunk and trying to choke her. (Probably true - he did have a temper and drinking problem.) She was charged with Manslaughter but acquitted at trial. One of those cases where only two people really knew what happened and one of them was dead.

Needless to say this did cause some family friction for a long time but eventually everyone came to terms with it.

So on the way home I asked then DW-to-be "So do you think you're family is weirder than that?"

"No. Not even close."

The next year I went with her to her family's Christmas dinner. No major issues that I could see.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I would, I've seen and heard too many true stories like that.

When DW and I first started dating she wanted to invite me to her family Christmas dinner but she said she was afraid to because she thought her family was weird. My response was "You think your family is weird? Come to my family's Christmas dinner."

That was the year my ex-half-sister-in-law showed up with her out of wedlock son (by then in his 20's) that no one else had a clue even existed. She's the one who shot and killed my half-brother in a family fight when he was drunk and trying to choke her. (Probably true - he did have a temper and drinking problem.) She was charged with Manslaughter but acquitted at trial. One of those cases where only two people really knew what happened and one of them was dead.

Needless to say this did cause some family friction for a long time but eventually everyone came to terms with it.

So on the way home I asked then DW-to-be "So do you think you're family is weirder than that?"

"No. Not even close."

The next year I went with her to her family's Christmas dinner. No major issues that I could see.
Ding Ding Ding. ... I think we have a winner.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #10

Close but no cigar, a few years ago my BIL said he was writing an auto biography and started out the Thanksgiving meal with this little tid bit: "The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it."

The dinner was a little stressful to say the least.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am not blessed with any interesting personal stories during any family get-together. I think it's because it's mostly in-town extended family, and not some long-lost relatives whose life we have not crossed in while and not kept up-to-date on.

I am enthralled with above interesting stories. Please keep them coming.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Frayne, I love it! I hope he pulled off the accent!!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

That was the year my ex-half-sister-in-law showed up with her out of wedlock son (by then in his 20's) that no one else had a clue even existed.

Cougar?
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #14

A couple of months back my 2 children had a ferocious argument where they stopped talking to each other. Similar fight took place several years ago and it took some doing to get them to a rapprochement.
I didn't think it would work this time, but a few weeks back I sent them and their spouses an email suggesting they just bury the hatchet. It worked; my daughter invited my son for Thanksgiving and they came over.
For me, it was great seeing them together, and my grandchildren playing with each other. It was a great Thanksgiving.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have now eaten 6 turkey meals (including sandwiches) in a row. Yes breakfast counts. Looking forward to #7 when I heat up turkey and dressing for lunch soon. Still not tired of it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Not Thanksgiving, but Easter. A reliable source told me about a family dinner where the 17-year-old son informed the family that his girlfriend was pregnant, but that he couldn't marry her because he is gay. Pass the scalloped potatoes, please.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Cougar?
No, I think she was 18 or 20 when that happened, long before we knew her.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Not really a TG story, though I'm sure the following ruined any future family get-togethers (TG included.) I thought of it because of several elements from stories mentioned above.

I know two brothers who married two sisters from the family down the road. It seemed a bit strange at the time, but... In due course, both brothers divorced the two sisters and then married, you guessed it, their brother's ex-wife. I can confirm hard feelings as I attended the brothers' parents' funerals. One brother came to one parent's funeral while the other brother did the other parent's funeral. Don't know if this was by some mutual arrangement, but never again saw any of the "players" in the same room together. At least, no one was murdered from this family tragedy, so there's that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
.......... In due course, both brothers divorced the two sisters and then married, you guessed it, their brother's ex-wife.........
Wow.......
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow.......
I guess you could call that a "family affair" for sure.