Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Healthy People Use Up More Health Care Dollars
Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Healthy People Use Up More Health Care Dollars

I guess it's time to stop congratulating myself over being healthy (never smoked, eat well, exercise regularly, reasonable weight) and face the music that I'm undesirable to insurers not just because of my age but because of the good health:

Lifetime Health Care Costs Highest For Thin

It turns out that unhealthy people like smokers may cost more initially in health care at a younger age, but then someone who lives a long time, even healthfully for most of the time, will cost more over their longer lifetime.....

So does this mean I shouldn't go exercise this afternoon and that I can have a pint of high-fat ice cream tonight---all with the intent of limiting my health care spending?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if the study takes into account the time value of money.

It's like saying brushing your teeth costs you more in the long run instead of letting your teeth rot out and going to dentures ASAP. No teeth? No more 6 month checkups, no cost of floss, etc. Doesn't make sense.

-CC
Nonsense
Old 02-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nonsense

I'm realize your post was tongue in cheek, but I have to call BS on the "article" written by someone with an agenda and lots of bad data. There are so many ways to pick this one apart, but just one: Their numbers work out to $4,964 per year for thin and healthy, $4,638/yr for obese and $4,234/yr for smokers. That would have to mean that the incidence of more costly treatments associated with cancer (WRT smoker esp), heart disease, joint/back issues (WRT obesity) and the many corollary conditions that contribute to them would be higher for those who are thin and healthy. Or the end of life healthcare costs for the thin and healthy would have to be higher. Anyone believe any of that? We could go on but why bother...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay well - to state the obvious.

Money is not everything in life.
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd suggest that to even things out monetarily, that once the "thin and healthy" have consumed as many health care dollars as the more short-lived obese and smoking crowd, that they simply be painlessly and humanely euthanized.