Join Early Retirement Today

Heating Oil Prices!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heating Oil Prices!

Dang! I just got the pre-buy price for next winters heating oil. $2.639 per gallon cash.

If I were to consider a wood or wood pellet stove, how do I compare potential costs? Per BTU? After I factor in equipment and installation costs?
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Heating Oil Prices!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #2

That cheap, huh? I'm currently locked in at market price with a $3.19 cap, through October 31. I was pretty lucky this past season though. They topped me off at my old price of $1.74/gal just before my contract ran out. Then they filled me up in January for $2.54 per gallon, and late Feb for $2.64 per gallon. I still have about a half-tank left, and that furnace won't run again until maybe late September. Thank God it was a mild winter!

I thought about having a heat pump put in, which would also give me central a/c. But then electric rates are set to rise 72% on July 1, so they get you coming and going.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #3

heh, our cap price is set at $2.8something. Credit card price is somewhere inbetween.

I think our electricity rates are set to go up 33% or so.

If I didn't have a small baby, I'd set my thermostat at 60F next winter and freeze...

Trouble is, cord wood and wood pellets have shot up in price too. So I don't know where to turn!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #4

I think it is time to look at the Trombone Al archives on scavenging for wood (from storms and wood pallets).
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #5

Sad thing is, I have a ton (figuratively speaking, it's really a lot more than that!) of firewood, just sitting around, but nothing to burn it in! There's a chimney in my livingroom that used to have a woodburning stove hooked up to it, but the stove got taken out and that chimney hasn't been used in about 20 years. Plus, somewhere along the line, someone saw fit to use NEWSPAPER as insulation in the walls around it, so I'd be really leery about using it.

How much does a cord of firewood go for, these days?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is a fuel cost comparison calculator:

http://www.hearth.com/articles/47_0_1_0_M7.html

I've run through these calculations a few times, and always find that wood heat is the most cost effective even when firewood costs are high. This assumes that you have an efficient wood stove.*

You can get a lot of information on this kind of thing at the Wood Heating Forum.

Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #7

Hehe, I was one of 3 boys growing up. My dad used to get 6 ot 7 cords of cut, unsplit wood. My brothers and I would have to split and stack it, as well as haul it.

I was hoping wood pellets were as cost effective. If I never swing a wood splitter and use a sledge hammer/wedge again, I would be happy.

But, I could sure use the exercise...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've turned the pellet stove thing over a few times.

Unless gas/electric get really, really, really expensive over the next few years, you live in a very cold winter weather area, and you're planning to stay in your house for a while, having a pellet stove installed and running it will have a pretty long recovery period.

For me tt was 12 years to recover the cost, presuming gas/electric prices increase at the rate they have. I dont think i'll still be living here in 12 years.

If I lived in minnesota and wasnt planning on ever moving, I'd put one in asap.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote