Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hello, I’m Heather. We can help you with your student loans.....
Old 09-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello, I’m Heather. We can help you with your student loans.....

Someday I’m going to hang on the line and ask them if they have a clue about their database. Try someone not in their 60’s!

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

60 and retired ??
what better time to expand your education ( but you might also be smart enough to source your education cost effectively .. so might not need that loan )

it should be almost as scary as that old joke ..... i am from the government and here to help ( i believe a Ronald Reagan quip )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Database? Are you kidding? They have a computer that just dials numbers, from xxx-0001 to xxx-9999, for each exchange (the xxx part) and area code. The only thing they keep track of is which numbers have a human answering.

What amazes me it that there are still suckers to be found out there. Have these people been living under a rock?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps I should refer Heather to the perky Mary Lee who calls me about my credit cards. I'm sure they would have lots to talk about over a glass of wine.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #5

Perhaps I shouldn't risk jinxing myself by putting this in writing but I've never received a call about student loans. I do get calls about helping me with credit card debt (we have none) and getting pain medications (when needed I get them from a legit pharmacy, not some bimbo calling on the phone).

And while I do realize the telemarketers change their phone numbers we have found a call blocker helps immensely.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Perhaps I should refer Heather to the perky Mary Lee who calls me about my credit cards. I'm sure they would have lots to talk about over a glass of wine.
Send em to my buddy Bill from Medicare. He's in a call center with a bunch of other guys trying to get your Medicare info.

He's called several times and each time I've told him to do something more outrageous and physically impossible. [emoji23]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

FYI, Heather is the younger sister of Rachael, from Card Services, and the second cousin of Jennifer of the Mortgage Modification Center. A great telemarketing family.

I now pay Verizon about $3 a mo for advanced caller ID on my cellphone line, and amazing how " ROBOCALLER" and "Suspected Spam" come in on caller ID. My spam caller volume has dropped a lot using this. I am generally a cheapskate , but willing to pay the fee.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Two new ones I've gotten a few of: (1) "Do not hang up. This is not a sales call..." and (2) "We've been trying to reach you about your..."

I never stay on the line long enough to hear the rest. If they really want to talk to me, they'll have a live person call, not a recording.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We do not answer unknown numbers. These robo bozos seldom leave a message...
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Two new ones I've gotten a few of: (1) "Do not hang up. This is not a sales call..." and (2) "We've been trying to reach you about your..."
I've been getting those recordings on my cell number. About eight people in the world have been given that number so I've no doubt they're dialing in sequence. Also, 95% of the time it's turned off since I only turn it on when going out.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

She seems to have fixed the problem with her headset lately.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Someday I’m going to hang on the line and ask them if they have a clue about their database. Try someone not in their 60’s!
I understand your point.

And then there is this about the over sixty croud struggling with student loans:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...s-report-finds

The number of people 60 and older with student loan debt has quadrupled in the past decade, and older Americans now represent the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. student loan market, . . .
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I understand your point.

And then there is this about the over sixty croud struggling with student loans:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...s-report-finds

The number of people 60 and older with student loan debt has quadrupled in the past decade, and older Americans now represent the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. student loan market, . . .
possibly backstopping kids & grandkids loans?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #14

Well I'm about to be arrested by the local authorities for some very serious allegations.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Well I'm about to be arrested by the local authorities for some very serious allegations.
Ha! Me too! A guy with a thick Indian accent tells me I owe the government $2400 if I don’t give them my credit card or gift cards that the cops are around the corner and they’re going to come and arrest me and confiscate all my possessions and take my home.

I said, “sir, I work for the IRS”. His response........FU, FU, FU

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes, I go a few days without any junk calls on my cell phone. Then they come flocking in, 3 in 30 minutes back on Thursday. On the cell phone, if I don't recognize the number (and only about 20 people have my cell number), I lift the receiver a half inch and hang up. I don't want to burn any minutes on the pay-per-minute cell phone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I guess student loans are viewed as a big opportunity by even legitimate banks and credit unions. Navy Federal keeps sending me promo emails about student loan refinancing.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
We do not answer unknown numbers. These robo bozos seldom leave a message...

+1.