HELP! Christmas gift for wife

The rule in our house is that we don't need more junk nor stuff, so gifts have to be used / eaten and go out the door in the garbage or eventually down the toilet.

So that 5 lb chocolate bar fits the bill. Is it shaped like a dumbbell and can be used a little bit for exercise, too?

What does she get you? Go from there.

I have given DH concert tickets and he has given me flowers this year, but usually we don't give each other occasion-specific gifts anymore. We like to just point things out to each other at Costco, for example, and say I got that for you. We like to travel so we call those trips our gifts to each other.

We don't do much gifting for each other anymore, whether at Christmas or birthdays or whatever. Neither of us wants stuff that we don't need, or have no desire to have. For example, one year, just as I was about to turn over a new leaf, exercise more and eat right, I received an M&Ms dispenser...like one you put a coin in and turn the handle at an auto repair shop, only this one just had a sensor...put your hand under it and it gives m&ms. So, out of good cheer, I put a bag of M&Ms in it and used it until they were gone, and since then it has been on a shelf in a closet. This wasn't from DW, but you get the picture.

Both DW and I are much happier if, for example, I say, "There's a new running watch I really want" or she says, "I would like to have that new FitBit Blaze," no matter the time of year, and we just get them. So, that's what we do. I need a new iPad, but we'll wait until Spring when a new model is expected. She wants a huge mirror to decorate the second home we bought, probably around $600, but we'll buy it when we find "the one", not because we have to buy something for Christmas.

These days, we just enjoy each other's company, and enjoy doing things for our adult kids and others, rather than forcing ourselves to buy a gift for each other because it is the season to gift. This doesn't work for everyone, but for us, it has been perfect.

Shhh (Got her an indian head nickle from her Mom's birth year. and a bunch of other indian heads that could be buttons or sumpin. Got her another indian head, but heavier and bigger)

This bracelet is on etsy .

Attachments

• indian bracelet.jpg
    indian bracelet.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 25
After such a long marriage, why do you even have to get her anything? We've been married for 30 years. Nowadays I just order stuff I want and pay for it, and Mr. A. appreciates watching me wear it or enjoy it.

We save gift-giving for youngster (they always have something they want, but can't pay for it themselves) and relatives/friends (that's where the "thoughtful little something" comes in).

My wife just turned 60 and we been married 33 years. She is not an outdoor person (hiking or fishing type) but does like to be out in the yard in the summer with her plants etc.

She reads all the time and has a Kindle and that stuff. She has more gardening tools etc. then she know where to use them. Lol

Jewelry and cloths are out I don't go there she would love them but not use them.

Like others, it is a real problem for both of us. Neither want anything. We buy what we want during the year. Clothing is a non issue. Why buy something that she just has to line up to return after Christmas? Jewelry...safe deposit box has had the same jewelry in it for 3 plus years. And how many watches can a person really use....four is enough.

When we were first married, 43 years ago, she warned never to buy her any non personal gifts that were household oriented. Specifically no toasters, irons, etc.

Do they still sell pet rocks?

This morning DH and I resolved this issue. We mutually agreed that neither one of us will put a gift under the tree for the other. There will be gifts to/from the daughters and such, but I don't have to shop for DH and he won't shop for me.

Like others have mentioned already, we have everything we need and almost everything we want. No need to shop just because.

So glad that DW and I have never done gifts for Christmas, Anniversary, Birthdays and the like. Not even when we were dating. Color us unromantic, but makes life easier in this respect!

Ha ha...I make a pilgrimage to our SDB several times a year to put some stuff in and take some stuff out. It's like greeting old friends (many items are from the 1990's). "Oh, I remember when you redeemed that brooch early from lay-a-way and gave it to me, and I burst into tears!"

Jewelry...safe deposit box has had the same jewelry in it for 3 plus years. ?

After 33 years of marriage DW and I are happy to play "gift card roulette" for our presents. We give each other a list of 20 or so places we like to shop, and then just select a subset from that list to git the other. So it is still a surprise to see which specific places we will be each other gift cards from.

Any other gifts we get are just small stocking stuffers... e.g. she'll get me things like fresh made chocolate candy, batteries, golf balls, etc. I'll get her drawing pens, art supplies, kitchen supplies, Legos (even as an adult she loves to build stuff with them), etc.

As with many others, being married 29 years and also trying to get rid of "stuff" that we don't use we stopped buying gifts years ago. If we want something small we just go buy it, if expensive we discuss first. Works for us. She enjoys buying stuff for the grandnephews and grandnieces more than anything else I could buy for her, and occasionally a nice lunch or dinner out.

Sorry I'm still shaking my head. You're asking strangers on the internet to pick out something for someone you live with and ostensibly love/pay attention to:confused:??

This year DW said she was tired of buying and receiving gifts since it was really hard work and from this point on we should just do experiences. Last weekend we had a 3 day stay on The Strip in Las Vegas, with our son, daughter and her partner. It worked fantastic and we all had a great time. (Daughter lives in Santa Monica, son lives here in the same town as us).

Yesterday she said she needs to go Christmas shopping to buy me and our son something to open on Christmas Day as we'll be having dinner at his place. When she saw my reaction she said, "do you want me to buy myself something from you because our son loves the present opening thing on Christmas Day".

On Christmas Day it should be interesting to see what I've bought her :D (we've been married 40 years)

So glad that DW and I have never done gifts for Christmas, Anniversary, Birthdays and the like. Not even when we were dating. Color us unromantic, but makes life easier in this respect!

DW & I met 13 years ago and have been together ever since....we don't gift, (to each other that is, the granddaughters are a whole 'nother story), if we want something we buy it......mostly we don't want anything, or want for anything.

Last edited:
You live in Montana? LL bean wicked good slippers? Fleece lounging pjs? UGGs?realize these are all apparel but different than buying a dress etc

We live in NC and those shearling slippers were a real hit two years ago...seriously good!

Sorry I'm still shaking my head. You're asking strangers on the internet to pick out something for someone you live with and ostensibly love/pay attention to:confused:??

Some of us have a real problem with gift selecting. It's an affliction.

You wouldn't tell a color-blind person "look - the green one, no the GREEN ONE, it's right there, it IS GREEEEN!" would you?

Then don't make us poor gift selectors feel bad about it, we need help, not ridicule.

And I'm ~ 99% serious. I have to analyze to determine if something is right, or the best value, DW just buys stuff. A lot of it goes unused, most of the gifts I get go unused. What a waste. Drives me nuts.

DW wanted me to pick up a grill for DD. I happened to have a copy of her lease - no grills. But I check these things, and DW doesn't. Makes gift buying easy I guess, but then where are you?

-ERD50

DW and I agreed many years ago(1980?) no gifts for holidays. It's worked ok for us. There's been many surprises for each other sometimes on birthdays, anniversaries.... but no expectations.

One thing I learned from my DM is to pay careful attention to when someone says they like something. One of the best memories of her is she always paid attention to when anyone mentioned they liked something. It shortly became a gift.

Last edited:
We try to exchange gifts involving an experience. A weekend away somewhere, a show or concert, flying relatives in for a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom