Join Early Retirement Today

Help! I can't figure out how to limit the synch on my IPOD Touch 32GB
Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Help! I can't figure out how to limit the synch on my IPOD Touch 32GB

Oh man, I am getting to the outer limits of my ability to deal with technology. Too many birthdays I guess! I bought an IPOD touch 32 GB.

Amazon.com: Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) NEWEST MODEL: Electronics

I have far too much music and videos to synch all ITunes content to this device. But I cannot figure out how to which choose music, video and apps I want to have copied onto the Touch, and to leave the rest alone on my computer.

Every time I start synching tons of music starts transferring that I will not have room for, and I really don't want to deal with anyway.

Anyone know how I should proceed?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go to Itunes "help". Scroll down to "Manage content manually" click, then scroll to bottom to see instructions.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Connect your iPod to iTunes.

When your iPod shows up in the left column under "devices" in iTunes, click on it.

Under the "music" tab at the top of your screen, check "sync music" and select "selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres". It will give you the option to manually select the music you want to add to your iPod. Check the individual playlists, artist, albums and genres you want to add to your iPod and click "apply" at the bottom of your screen.

Then go to the "apps" tab, check "sync Apps". Uncheck the individual apps you do not want on your iPod and click "apply".

Under the "Movies" tab, check "sync movies". Uncheck the individual movies you do not want on your iPod and click "apply".
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

It's also a good idea to set iTunes to convert higher bitrate music down to a lower bitrate before syncing the music to your iPod. You won't even notice the difference on the iPod earphones, and it may help you get quite a bit more of your music on it.

Click on your iPod in the left column of iTunes.
In the Summary tab (which is where you should be when you first connect the iPod), you'll see some checkboxes under Options. Check the one that says "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC."
Old 04-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the help. I just came in and I am starving, but I will foolow the directions given here later this evening.

Ha
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Agree with the manually manage music--that is a big help. That way you can pick individual songs that you like and change them anytime you want.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, it all worked and I am happily sitting here listening to Otis Redding. Muchas gracias!

I have a few other questions.

1) How to delete songs I want off the Ipod? I put them there by dragging and dropping, but how to undo that when I want to?
2) Can I just hot unplug from the USB port, or do I have to somehow sign off or eject the device?
3)When I-tunes does not recognize the title or singer, can I add them somehow?
4)How to import soundfiles like language lessons into Itunes, and then organize them in order?

I have some nice soft Sony earpieces that I can leave in all night if I want. I think I bought them back in the Walk-Man days. I had a neoprene caddy for it, that I would put on my belt for exercise sessions. Really fun.

Poor Otis Can't Get No Satisfaction right now! Oh oh, now he's been loving her too long...but I think it's gonna be ok, he's about to Try a little tenderness-no way can that fail!

Ha
Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Well, it all worked and I am happily sitting here listening to Otis Redding. Muchas gracias!

I have a few other questions.

1) How to delete songs I want off the Ipod? I put them there by dragging and dropping, but how to undo that when I want to?
2) Can I just hot unplug from the USB port, or do I have to somehow sign off or eject the device?
3)When I-tunes does not recognize the title or singer, can I add them somehow?
4)How to import soundfiles like language lessons into Itunes, and then organize them in order?

I have some nice soft Sony earpieces that I can leave in all night if I want. I think I bought them back in the Walk-Man days. I had a neoprene caddy for it, that I would put on my belt for exercise sessions. Really fun.

Poor Otis Can't Get No Satisfaction right now! Oh oh, now he's been loving her too long...but I think it's gonna be ok, he's about to Try a little tenderness-no way can that fail!

Ha
Glad it worked.

1) if you didn't put these songs on your iPod via Itunes, but rather used some drag/drop, you will have to remove those songs manually. Connect your iPod to your computer, Go to "my computer" and find your Ipod drive. Find the song files and delete.
2) I believe it is recommended to eject the device before unplugging it from the USB port. I don't always do it and I have never had a problem, but do it at your own risk (whatever that risk may be).
3) I assume you mean when you import a CD, for example, iTunes does not recognize the artist? Once the song has been imported to your library, right click on the title of the song and select "get info". Under the "info" tab, you will be able to enter the name of the song, artist, album, genre, etc...
4)To add a sound file to your iTunes library, open iTunes, click on "file" in the upper left corner, and select "add file to library". Select the sound file you want to add to your library. Beware, the file has to be compatible with iTunes. If it's not compatible the file won't be added to the library. There won't be a message warning you of a compatibility issue, the file just won't show up in your library. You can then create playlists to organize your sound files.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Good taste in music Ha! My wedding song: These arms of mine
Hiredgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
When you say "drag and drop", I assume you mean that this dragging and dropping was done inside the iTunes windows with iTunes up and running? I don't know about every iPod, but I'm pretty sure you can't drag/drop within the file system directly like you would with moving files from your hard drive to a thumb drive (w/o some special software).

I'm adding this as I don't think that the process that FD described will work for you (it will work with most other players) - if you added the songs in iTunes, I'm pretty sure you need to connect to iTunes and delete them within iTunes. I don't have iTunes up in front of me, and I don't have the Windows version, but the basic process would be to connect the iPad, select its icon so its songs appear in the window, select the songs to delete and hit the delete key or mouse/select a delete option. The help menu should give the specifics for your version of iTunes.

As FD says, best to always eject the device before removing. The real danger is if you were writing at the time (and it would probably warn you), and I've never heard of a problem, but to be safe, (unlike other things) always eject before withdrawing.

And go Otis!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

All management of the iPod is done while it is plugged into the computer. So deleting a song, organizing music, adding titles, etc, should be done while you have it hooked up.

You should use the eject button next to the name of the iPod on the left rail of the iTunes (below your playlist). Think in terms of music that "lives" on your computer and music that "lives" on your iPod. Songs can move down the street to the iPod, but once they move there, you can't move them back from the iPod to the computer (unless you have a workaround, but don't worry about that right now).

The right-click add info is good for adding information about songs that aren't recognized. Whenever I add stuff I've recorded from albums to MP3, I have to add the info.

Glad you are enjoying it along with your old school headphones!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #12
gone traveling

What's an iPod?...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
What's an iPod?...
That's why your wife leaves you at home when she goes on vacation!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I have an iPod touch 32. You can delete items off the iPod without going through the computer. Instead of tapping the item to start to play it, lightly drag your finger across the item. A delete button will appear and you can click on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have an iPod touch 32. You can delete items off the iPod without going through the computer. Instead of tapping the item to start to play it, lightly drag your finger across the item. A delete button will appear and you can click on it.
Yep, that's definitely the way to go!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About adding info to the file.....

If you need to add the same info to multiple files, highlight all of them (click to highlight first one, scroll to the last one, hold SHIFT and click the last one) right click and select "Get Info" and you'll get a dialogue box asking if you want to edit the info for all the items, click yes and then you can add whatever info you want for all of them. Very handy for adding the artist or album info to a list of tracks.

I thought I was very familiar with all my Apple devices and iTunes. I saw a book at the library, "iPods, The Missing Manual" and I learned all kinds of things that I didn't know about my iPod Nano and iPod Touch.

iPods - iPod: The Missing Manual, Ninth Edition - O'Reilly Media

Also check out the "For Dummies" series.

I tend to learn by doing and I figure it out when I have a need to do something new. What I've learned is that a good reference book shows me all the things I didn't know I needed to learn!

I got my iPod Touch free through a bank promotion. I absolutely love it! It's so handy to have a handheld internet device and not have to pay a monthly fee like for a smartphone.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
When you say "drag and drop", I assume you mean that this dragging and dropping was done inside the iTunes windows with iTunes up and running? I don't know about every iPod, but I'm pretty sure you can't drag/drop within the file system directly like you would with moving files from your hard drive to a thumb drive (w/o some special software).
Yes, this is what I did, from within Itunes.

Quote:
I'm adding this as I don't think that the process that FD described will work for you (it will work with most other players) - if you added the songs in iTunes, I'm pretty sure you need to connect to iTunes and delete them within iTunes. I don't have iTunes up in front of me, and I don't have the Windows version, but the basic process would be to connect the iPad, select its icon so its songs appear in the window, select the songs to delete and hit the delete key or mouse/select a delete option. The help menu should give the specifics for your version of iTunes.

As FD says, best to always eject the device before removing. The real danger is if you were writing at the time (and it would probably warn you), and I've never heard of a problem, but to be safe, (unlike other things) always eject before withdrawing.
And go Otis!
-ERD50
One, other Q- I can't find where to eject the Ipod. It doesn't seem to be listed as an external drive would be.

I agree with everyone--Otis Redding sings the most romantic, love and desire infused songs that have ever been sung. Hired Gun-perfect wedding song!

Ha
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

In iTunes, left hand column, there will be a heading for your iPod. IIRC there will be an arrow you can click to eject it. Mine is syncing right now and the eject option is not yet available.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One, other Q- I can't find where to eject the Ipod. It doesn't seem to be listed as an external drive would be.

Ha
I'm going from memory, and the Windows version might be slightly different, but I would expect that you would see one of those "EJECT" down-pointing arrow/icons next to where your iPod shows up, usually in the left-hand panel. Click that, or maybe right-click on your iPod name in that panel, and eject or remove should be an option.

I think you can also eject it from the desktop, and that ejection will be seen by iTunes also.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

In the windows version of iTunes, you should see an arrow pointing up on the right of your iPod's name (left column, under "devices"). Click on it to eject your iPod.