Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

We just had a similar experience with buying another Honda Odyssey. Our old 2007 Odyssey had 200K miles and although we still loved it, due to the miles, we decided to get a 2015-2017 used Odyssey. We drove about 5 at the dealership and we were surprised that only one drove as nice at our 2007. So even though you think you found THE ONE online, you may change your mind based on the test drive. You could be wasting your time on the couch.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Midpack, thanks for the listings. The second listing is the one I am interested in at the Raleigh Lexus dealer. I am not familiar with the Vroom dealership on the other listings, never heard of them, I will look into them. I do think I want a certified preowned and to get that I guess I will have to deal with a Lexus dealer (you get some benefits from the CPO Lexus--2 years free maintenance etc).

Actually I do want to get the best deal I can sitting on my coach. I plan to do all my negotiation by email and only go into the dealership with a check once I have the deal nailed down. I hate visiting dealerships so I want to do that as little as possible.

The next thing I need to do is to take my old car to Carmax and get a price on the old car.
Not possible, but best of luck.

I have been using email and online car buying services for over 20 years for every car I've bought, and I've gotten great discounts in hand that way. But I have gotten substantial further discounts every time by going into 1-3 dealers after taking email and phone as far as possible.

It takes two to tango, and you're not the only buyer. You can do a lot by email and phone, but not the best deal possible - no way.

It'll be interesting to see what CarMax offers. My experience has been they do pay top dollar for late model trade ins, but they low ball older or high mileage cars - but maybe they've changed since the last time I took a car to CarMax. Not sure what you're going to do with the CarMax number, but you realize the sales tax implications of selling your car to CarMax and then buying another car at a dealer - often thousands in additional sales tax. Dealers know the sales tax angle, so they don't have to come anywhere close to the CarMax number to net you lower out the door after taxes - and I am sure they'll make you aware they have you over the sales tax barrel.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OP here, oh well, back to the drawing board. I contacted the dealer this morning and the car I was interested in is already sold, only on the lot a couple of days, it sold really fast because of the low mileage. So I will continue looking. I think I will go ahead and get the Carmax price on my old car.

Midpack raised a tax question about trade ins. In North Carolina the sales tax on cars is 3%. If you trade in a car you pay the tax on the sales price net of trade in so if I sell the old car myself I do pay a little bit more but on a $5000 car the extra sales tax is only $150.

Midpack, I am sure I could get a better deal by going in person to the dealers (there are 5 Lexus dealers within a couple hours drive) and haggling but I am at the "life's too short stage"--I would rather pay a little more and avoid car salesmen. I hate going to car dealers and talking to used car salesmen.

There has to be a better way to buy a car--maybe I should look at the Carmax Lexus inventory since they do not haggle.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Midpack, I am sure I could get a better deal by going in person to the dealers (there are 5 Lexus dealers within a couple hours drive) and haggling but I am at the "life's too short stage"--I would rather pay a little more and avoid car salesmen. I hate going to car dealers and talking to used car salesmen.

There has to be a better way to buy a car--maybe I should look at the Carmax Lexus inventory since they do not haggle.
Maybe you can find a third party to do the looking and test drive for you? Say maybe your spouse or a close relative? Maybe there is a "service" to do this kind of stuff?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

I’ve posted this article from Consumer Reports before and I think it has good advice on negotiating. https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...ow-to-beat-it/
Fairfax2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #26

Not the OP's question, but I just bought a new car using Costco's Autobuy program. Easiest and probably the best deal on a new car in my life.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Not the OP's question, but I just bought a new car using Costco's Autobuy program. Easiest and probably the best deal on a new car in my life.
I wish Costco did used cars. Wonder if there are any used car buying programs around?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I can't imagine bargaining for a used car before taking a look at it. You could always look at it on the lot and take it for a drive, leave ("just looking") and call or email back later.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax2018 View Post
I’ve posted this article from Consumer Reports before and I think it has good advice on negotiating. https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...ow-to-beat-it/
No wonder I hate going into a car dealership so much!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I can't imagine bargaining for a used car before taking a look at it. You could always look at it on the lot and take it for a drive, leave ("just looking") and call or email back later.
I will definitely test drive the car before I finalize the deal. i have seen many 2015 RXs inside and out and even drove a friends so I know that I want this model and year, it is just a matter of finding the right one. When I have gone into dealers before just looking around and took a test drive, afterwards I get harassed by the salesman by phone and mail even after I tell them I am not interested. You cannot test drive unless you give them your drivers license and phone number and then they keep contacting you for months.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #31

Quote:
I wish Costco did used cars. Wonder if there are any used car buying programs around?
They do used as well.

https://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipc...px?gotourl=%2f
Old 11-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #32

We just bought a 2018 CPO Subaru for our son and daughter in law who recently had twins. It was a loaner for the dealership previously and only had 6600 miles on it. It was listed at $24,995 and we got it for $20,600. Ask for at least $5k off from asking price. With new models coming in they’ll be getting a lot of trade ins for their CPO fleet and need to make room. Face to face negotiations will get you a better deal than email. Once you’re in the dealership they want you to leave with a car.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #33

Quick take on Costco. You fill out an online form with what you want. They connect you with a dealer that has or can get that car. You show up at the dealer, show your Costco card. They show you the wholesale price on the car and then take off a preset Costco discount off of that number. In my case they took $900 off invoice which was about $5000 off the MSRP sticker price. No negotiating. No fuss. Left with the car and they even threw in a $50 Amazon card for test driving it on Black Friday.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #34

OP here, maybe I need to join Costco. There is not a Costco in my town so I have never had a membership.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #35

Quote:
OP here, maybe I need to join Costco. There is not a Costco in my town so I have never had a membership.
$60 for the base membership. They run some screaming travel deals too.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I used the Costco price as a bargaining chip - i.e., beat this price or I'll just go with Costco. Get this bouncing between a half dozen dealers and you have a bidding war unless the model you want is in high demand and low supply.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to use the Costco program to buy a new pickup truck last December. Three dealers gave me the "Costco" price which is NOT wholesale, but "Supplier". Offers were about $3000.00 off MSRP at the time when a walk in customer got $6000 - $8000 off the same truck.

Be careful.