Join Early Retirement Today

Help on camera lens
Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Help on camera lens

This is a question to the photographers out there...

I have a Nikon D90 with a 28-200 zoom... DW wants a wider view since her phone camera takes a wider pick out in the wild than the camera...

I am thinking about buying this... link below...
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens by Nikon - International Version (No Warranty) Bulk Packaging Lens

The question I have is if this is the same lens as they sell as a USA version

A refurb cost $138 and a new one in the $170ish range... they have a newer version that is VRII, but that is over $200...

Also, any recommendation would be appreciated...

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-55mm...e%3A2224371011
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Check out these: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm-ii.htm
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The listing you found is for a "gray market" lens. It is likely the same lens as sold in the US, but as the listing says, no warranty, so if something goes wrong or you get a "bad copy" (happens from time to time) you are stuck.

I know some people have no problem ordering gray market, but I won't do it myself. You may want to look at lenses from well-known third-party manufacturers such as Tamron and Tokina.

I'll also comment that going from 28 to 18 may not be as much wider as DW wants. As an APS-C sensor camera, even 18 is more like 30 full-frame.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Another happy D90 owner here.
I bought mine with the 18-200 lens and it has been wonderful as an all-purpose lens. I have another one for more extreme telephoto shots but seldom use it.

My suggestion would be to sell your 28-200 (which is no longer made) and replace it with the 18-200.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had that lens - at least the US version. Great lens, but I traded it in when I went full frame.
The one in your link looks like the one I had. The Amazon ad in the link says it will fit your D90. You could be ok with it, but what if you need to use the warranty?

Like others are saying - research third party manufacturer lenses. I have a Tamron 150-600 and it is a great lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My suggestion would be to sell your 28-200 (which is no longer made) and replace it with the 18-200.
Another good suggestion. The good thing about the 18-200 is that you wouldn't need to carry another lens with you for most applications.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Thanks for the link... but I am trying not to pay in the $300 to $500 range...
Old 12-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

After having done a lot of traveling with "superzoom" lenses, such as the Tamron 18-270 (two versions), I've found that these tend to be "soft" when zoomed out and that the added reach is deceptive. My most recent vacation I used only a 16-35 (on a full-frame Sony) and was thrilled with the results. I didn't find a need for such a long reach, at least for what I was doing. I've also used the Sony 24-70, but don't like it as much.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
After having done a lot of traveling with "superzoom" lenses, such as the Tamron 18-270 (two versions), I've found that these tend to be "soft" when zoomed out and that the added reach is deceptive. My most recent vacation I used only a 16-35 (on a full-frame Sony) and was thrilled with the results. I didn't find a need for such a long reach, at least for what I was doing. I've also used the Sony 24-70, but don't like it as much.

I use the zoom much more than my DW.... I like to zoom in on some action or even out in nature if something is interesting...

She will use the wide angle for sure... I just want to get something that will fill her needs and not cost me an arm....
Old 12-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, an update...

DW came home and wanted to know what I bought!!! Well, nothing dear...

Did not go over well... so I gave her the options and she wanted the 'newest' lens...

So, we bought a refurb... $139... but, we get a 90 day warranty instead of none...

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-NIKKOR-...tion+Zoom+Lens
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that if you do nature photography that a telephoto/zoom is essential. Sounds as if you worked out a good option.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know anything about Nikon DSLRs but if it is a cropped sensor, I think you may need to take that into account when it comes to the true focal length of the lens.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I prefer a lens that has a better aperture, so f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. That way, one can take pics with lower light and also in normal light with faster shutter speeds and also use the depth-of-field physics to help separate something of interest from something distracting.

My recommendation would be a 17-55 f/2.8 lens. I have a Canon and use this lens quite a lot, but Canon has image stabilization, but I don't think Nikon has this lens with VR (Vibration Reduction).

The lens of the OP when used at 55 mm would have only an aperture of f/5.6 which is kind of useless. One might as well use their cellphone camera.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Don't know anything about Nikon DSLRs but if it is a cropped sensor, I think you may need to take that into account when it comes to the true focal length of the lens.
Correct, add 50%.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I prefer a lens that has a better aperture, so f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. That way, one can take pics with lower light and also in normal light with faster shutter speeds and also use the depth-of-field physics to help separate something of interest from something distracting.
But there's a significant size, weight and price penalty for a f2.8 lens over f4 (or f4-5.6). My experience with an f4 lens is that it does very well on a camera that is good in low light (such as my Sony A7m2). You can see some low-light examples in my Prague album at https://flic.kr/s/aHskKqVMER

For travel, I'd rather have a smaller, lighter lens that works well in most situations, and let the camera help me when things get difficult. Of course, there are times where a wider aperture makes the difference between usable and discard, but I haven't found this to be an issue in my travels.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

My recommendation would be a 17-55 f/2.8 lens. I have a Canon and use this lens quite a lot, but Canon has image stabilization, but I don't think Nikon has this lens with VR (Vibration Reduction).

The lens of the OP when used at 55 mm would have only an aperture of f/5.6 which is kind of useless. One might as well use their cellphone camera.

Well, the one you recommend it priced at just under $1500.... I am getting mine at less than 10% of that price... and the one I am getting has VR...

I am not a professional and do not want to get anywhere close....

This will be much better than a phone camera...

IIRC, most photos are in the F8 range, so I am not worried about the speed... we also have flash...
Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Just ordered a 20 mm f1.8 for $747, which represents a $50 discount by Nikon until the end of the year.

I shoot mostly on the wide end, for landscapes and architecture and other travel-related photos.

I hate changing lens out in the field so I tend to use the 24-120 f4 that I got with my D750. I have a 70-200 but I rarely carry it.

There are utilities which will determine the percentage of your library shot at different focal lengths.

Will be nice to have a fast prime. Want to see how long exposures and low-light shots come out.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Smaller apertures such as f/8 and f/5.6 have too much depth of field for me. I don't want everything in focus even in bright sunlight. I regularly want to separate the subject from the background.

Yes, I realize I suggested a high-end lens. But I also suggested sticking with a camera phone.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Just ordered a 20 mm f1.8 for $747, which represents a $50 discount by Nikon until the end of the year.

I shoot mostly on the wide end, for landscapes and architecture and other travel-related photos.

I hate changing lens out in the field so I tend to use the 24-120 f4 that I got with my D750. I have a 70-200 but I rarely carry it.

There are utilities which will determine the percentage of your library shot at different focal lengths.

Will be nice to have a fast prime. Want to see how long exposures and low-light shots come out.

My old camera setup (back with film) had a 35-70 and a 70-200... yes, it was a pain to change lenses... and that 70-200 was HEAVY!!! Lent the whole thing (camera, lenses, filters and bag) to a friend who lost it!!!

Then went to Nikon film... got the 28-200 and loved it since it was not that heavy and collapsed down pretty small... but, going to the digital cost a bit on the lens... I did not care, but DW wants something wider...

BTW, I used to have a 50mm 1.2... nice lens... I think I currently have a 50 at 1.8, but it could be faster... I just do not like a fixed length....
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yeah one criteria for me is that my camera bag can only be big enough for the personal item that airlines allow you which is 17x10x9.

So that makes it tough to carry more than one zoom with a full-frame DSLR. I put the longer zoom in the carryon roller but when I go out and about, that means I still can't easily carry the second zoom in that camera bag.

So I end up taking a second bag (which I put in my checked luggage but it's a flat messenger bag). The messenger bag works for my travel tripod and snacks and other stuff when I'm away from the hotel all day.

The fast aperture would work better inside those cavernous cathedrals in Europe, not to mention being wider. Or so I hope.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of recent examples with an f4 lens: