Help on iBook Repair

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anybody know where to find the serial number on an iBook G3 laptop? My daughter's iBook has a problem with the screen going blank unless the top is in one particular (hard to view) position. I took it to a CompUSA repair place and for $139 they told me that the cable from the logic board to the display was bad but that they could not find a replacement part just for the cable and that to replace the logic board and cable would be close to $800!! We only paid $650 for it used two years ago so that is not an option. I found a web site which sells reconditioned parts. They have the cables for <$50 but the write up says there are cables from three different companies that only work with the LCD from that company. The web site tech support guy says if I can give him the serial # he may be able to figure out exactly which cable will work. I have looked at the iBook and can't find the f'n serial number. Any help would be appreciated.

Grumpy

ibooks usually have the serial number inside the battery well. Take out the battery and you should see the s#. If that doesnt work the System Profiler will usually tell you the s#

If theres no serial number to be found, chances are the former owner removed it...

Look under "About this Mac", under the Apple symbol, and click on "more info" and the serial # should be there.

That works on some versions of the OS but not on others. Sure is a lot easier than taking out the battery though! ;)

Worse comes to worst, you could buy all 3 cables and return the ones that don't work. Even if you don't return them, you're still out $150 vs. $800..

Are you sure it is only the cable? Appears there were video problems also with some logic boards, but they should be covered under an Apple repair program. You will still need the s/n, though. See http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ I would give them a call directly and see what they say about costs.

If you have anything from the previous owner, like the sales receipt or the original packaging, these may have the s/n so you don't have to open the machine.

() said:
That works on some versions of the OS but not on others. Sure is a lot easier than taking out the battery though! ;)

Taking out the battery could be simpler, if it's anything like the PowerBook. Piece of cake. But I bet the OS on the iBook is new enough to have it under the "about this Mac" -- tho I also suspect they looked there already. I mean, it's there on my 18 year old MacPlus.

Thanks all. I got the SN from the operating system.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom