Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help! Owl in chimney..?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help! Owl in chimney..?

Yesterday and today I heard a hooting noise and realized it's coming from our chimney. I think there's an owl in there.

Tonight we will turn off the heat in the living room and leave doors and windows to the outside open (also the damper open in the FP) and hope he (or she) comes out.

I don't hear any struggling or other movement, and we have only heard two calls, one last night and one this evening, but very close and the second time definitely from the chimney.

Hoo-HOOo---HOO!

Maybe it is just nesting up above and isn't currently in difficulty? I hope that's the case. I put out a dish of water and a bit of raw meat below in the fireplace. Maybe that will draw it out?

I asked my husband if there was an organization like the SPCA in Italy, and he said, "No, probabilmente ci verrà qualcuno a darci una multa!" [No, probably someone will come and give us a fine!] Ever the optimist (realist)...

Anyone else dealt with an owl?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help! Owl in chimney..?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #2

If it's really in your chimney, it'll eventually land in your fireplace. Birds can't fly too well in chimneys.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you considered building a fire?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make sure you whip up a nice barbecue sauce before making the fire.

[homer] Mmmmm...owl! [/homer]
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #5

I would try burning a few pieces of newspaper.* Just something that will drop a serious hint to Mr Owl without creating a 3 piece Xtra Crispy meal.
Yah want fries with that?*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very likely the owl is perching on your chimney, not in it. Can you look up there with a flashlight? Or get on the roof and look down? I have had starlings and grackles in my chimney, but never an owl.

Go out there at night when you hear her and have a look.

Ha
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 PM   #7

You can get chimney rainhats/caps at the home improvement stores. Just make sure the critter isnt in there when you install it.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:21 AM   #8

All clear this am on the owl front. Now that it's daylight I can see all the way up and there aren't any owls or any other obstructions like a nest. It could indeed have been perching, but the call was very loud inside the house! If it had been in the chimney, one way or the other it got out.

Owls are so cool. I read they live to be 20-25 years old!

Time to call the spazzacamino or somebody to put a wire mesh up there, if there isn't already.

Whew! I really didn't want a roasted owl.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:15 AM   #9

You were fortunate not to get Racoons, so get that chimney capped.

Racoons create a hell of a mess and they frequently will build a nest in a chimney.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #10

No raccoons in Italy, and not many squirrels, either. We have 50 oak trees on our property and I have seen one (1) small black squirrel in a year and a half. It's weird not to have "wildlife" around much. In exchange there are chickens, geese, donkeys, horses, and oxen all within earshot. In less populated areas there are wild boar and giant porcupines (weighing up to 40-45 pounds!) with quills about a foot long.

P.S. you are right about the raccoons, though. I think squirrels can be even worse, though. People I knew had some grey squirrels that had gotten into the house and in the space of a few of hours trashed the place..

Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #11

We had a bird fall down into our chimney once ... ended up just above the flue, on sort of a shelf above the damper. This was not a chimney where you could just look up and see sky.

He couldn't get back up the chimney, and apparently couldn't get down to the hearth, past the flue. To save him, I reached up and over the flue, "chased" him around with my hand until I caught a wing, and carefully brought him up and over the flue, down and out ... then to the front door, where he was oh so glad to take flight again.

We put a screen over the chimney to prevent further accidents.

Can you imagine how a bird feels to be sitting on a chimney chirping one minute, and then falling down into that hole the next?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles

Can you imagine how a bird feels to be sitting on a chimney chirping one minute, and then falling down into that hole the next?
Smoke will do that. Its common for birds to warm themselves perched on the chimney. Overcome with smoke, they fall inside

Ladlefina, as one bird to another...could the "Hoooo Hoo Hooooo" have been a mourning dove?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #13

I watch the crackles flock around my dads chimney on cold days, I don't know how they don't fall in but he's never had a problem.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle
Just make sure the critter isnt in there when you install it.*
Oh, the result would be the same, it'd just take longer & be a bit messier...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #15

It definitely wasn't a dove, we have those also.. the doves' call is softer and more 'warbly' for lack of a better term. What we heard was VERY LOUD and piercing.

I think it was an "allocco" or a tawny owl, which are common in this area. It sounded pretty much like this:
http://www.bto.org/gbw/Tawny_Owl_Sur...Tawny_Owls.htm

I have also heard the second "ke-week" sound many times at night outside.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I'm so sorry to have to perpetuate an internet fad....

You have an Owl in your chimney

Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #17

My cat fell down the neighbors chimney once.* He was the neighborhood Tom and could hear some females cats in the neighbor's house.* He made quite a ruckus which scared the neighbors half to death (at 1am).* They opened the damper and he shot out.* The next morning I had a real puzzle trying to figure out how "Goldy" became a black cat.