Join Early Retirement Today

Help!!! The Exterminator is Coming!!!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help!!! The Exterminator is Coming!!!

The Exterminator is Coming!!!

We are experiencing a bug problem. Two types of little bugs are showing up in our bathrooms (mainly in the sinks) and in our kitchen (mainly coming from underneath the dishwasher). So, I contacted an exterminator from Angie’s List to hopefully take care of the problem.

As this the first time we’ve ever used an exterminator, we don’t know how to prepare or what to expect. Any advice, suggestions, tips?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check with them about any pets you might have. Our dogs go to a closet for a few hours and when we had fish they were covered. My DW has serious bug phobia so its a 3 times a year treat. They are seldom here for more than 45 minutes, little odor but not a big issue. Obviously YMMV.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Few years back, we had these little bugs (cigar beetles?) in our kitchen. They were coming thru out basement and thru the electrical outlets in our kitchen. We called Terminax a few times and they came out twice but these bugs kept coming back. After the second visit, Terminax suggested we sign on for a yearly treatment and we did. Forget the cost. Well after 6 months and numerous visits, I called Terminax to express our frustrations. Sure enough, one of their managers came out and gave these bugs an extra treatment and low and behold, never saw these bugs again.

While the manger was here, I asked what he did differently and he admitted the previous guys who came did not apply enough treatment.

Lesson learned - don't let them string you along for more dinero.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My exterminator sprays the floor all along the walls or perimeter of the rooms and the same for the garage and perimeter of the outside of the house. I generally schedule the exterminator right after a house cleaning so that I won't be washing away the pesticide by mopping a floor a few days later. If practical, I have them also spray my closets (e.g., pick up anything on the floor). Of course, I pick up the pet food dishes.

To prevent bugs coming up through the drains, I keep my sink and bathtub drains closed when not in use especially at night. I live in the downtown area of a medium sized southwestern city so this is a problem in my neighborhood. You might also call the city and request that they spray the sewers in your area but the last time I did that, it took them 3 months to get around to it. The exterminator also suggested that I might just buy a pound of boric acid and pour it down the closest manhole to my house.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post

...While the manger was here, I asked what he did differently and he admitted the previous guys who came did not apply enough treatment.

Lesson learned - don't let them string you along for more dinero.
They've already suggested I buy a warranty with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

...To prevent bugs coming up through the drains, I keep my sink and bathtub drains closed when not in use especially at night.

You might also call the city and request that they spray the sewers in your area but the last time I did that, it took them 3 months to get around to it.
Unfortunately, Los Angeles has much bigger problems than bugs in the sewers. They would never get around to it.

I do like the idea of closing what drains we can.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Check with them about any pets you might have. Our dogs go to a closet for a few hours and when we had fish they were covered. My DW has serious bug phobia so its a 3 times a year treat. They are seldom here for more than 45 minutes, little odor but not a big issue. Obviously YMMV.
No pets. But, can we stay in the house while the exterminator is spraying working?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
They've already suggested I buy a warranty with them.
We use pest control now and have at previous addresses. Our experience is that bugs are rarely a "one time only" problem, and regular treatment is needed.

Quote:
No pets. But, can we stay in the house while the exterminator is spraying working?
Yes
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Agreed...Pests, just like anybody else, are attracted to warmth, water, food and shelter. You get rid of them by making those things too difficult or dangerous to obtain. Once the difficulty/danger wear off, the pests, or their descendants, will return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We use pest control now and have at previous addresses. Our experience is that bugs are rarely a "one time only" problem, and regular treatment is needed.

Yes
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We do, hasn't seemed to hurt us much.

Yea it's supposed to be safe for people.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The poisons they use now are pretty weak compared to what they used many decades ago....

Fish and birds were the biggest problem back when I did it... pets could take it, but we did ask they not be in the house until the spray dried...

Even though I was an exterminator for a bit, I do not spray my house on any regular basis.... I usually spot treat where the problems are and that takes care of it... I let the cats handle the large roaches... are biggest problem was when the cats brought in fleas and the chemical you put on their back did not work... took a few months to get rid of them....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

All of the chemicals are safe after they dry. They are insecticides, not human-a-cides. Fish and birds are very susceptible.

Watch and ask many questions. Any of the chemicals he/she uses will be available online, readily available and are easy to apply.

A house perimeter solution, likely in a granular form would be a great suggestion. Spraying baseboards and the sides of any foundation would be recommended.

Clean up any clutter, especially around the areas you see bugs.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

Should I expect the exterminator do both the inside and outside of the house?

Is there any reason to do the whole house, or just the rooms where the bugs show up?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Should I expect the exterminator do both the inside and outside of the house?
Yes, both. You want the outside peremiter of the house done because that's where many of the bugs in your house came from and you want to discourage their friends and relatives from paying them a visit.
Quote:
Is there any reason to do the whole house, or just the rooms where the bugs show up?
The entire house - for the same reason you don't expect water to stay in only one end of your bathtub...
Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

For those looking to DIY, we bought Demon WP from ebay a few years ago ($8 or so for a 4 pack of powder packets). 1 packet wreaked nuclear holocaust on those roaches. Only applied once a few years ago and we rarely see our little visitors any more. I sprayed it using my outside 1 gallon pesticide spray bottle. Mostly the kitchen but also behind the toilets in the bathrooms.

The spray dries and leaves a light residue of the powder. Bugs walk through it, track it to their homes and all die quickly. Also did a perimeter spray around the outside of the house a foot or two up from the ground, and doused the crawlspace entrance with this liquid gold.

The package says to reapply once every 3 or 6 months but it seems to have reduced any bug populations to a point where they don't bother us almost 5 years later. My buddy that recommended it says it's the same formulation some pest control companies use.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For those looking to DIY, we bought Demon WP from ebay a few years ago ($8 or so for a 4 pack of powder packets). 1 packet wreaked nuclear holocaust on those roaches. Only applied once a few years ago and we rarely see our little visitors any more. I sprayed it using my outside 1 gallon pesticide spray bottle. Mostly the kitchen but also behind the toilets in the bathrooms.

The spray dries and leaves a light residue of the powder. Bugs walk through it, track it to their homes and all die quickly. Also did a perimeter spray around the outside of the house a foot or two up from the ground, and doused the crawlspace entrance with this liquid gold.

The package says to reapply once every 3 or 6 months but it seems to have reduced any bug populations to a point where they don't bother us almost 5 years later. My buddy that recommended it says it's the same formulation some pest control companies use.
We've always just used borax powder. It's the main ingredient in Roach Prufe, the stuff Paul Harvey was always advertising. Works great for roaches, probably some other insects. Doesn't do anything for ants, though.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #16

My two cents having been on the commercial side of PC.

1. Pesr should be identified. You may want to take some time to try to do it
2. With ID, PCO should be able to identify the lifestyle of the pest. For example, if it is a sewer fly problem, treating baseboards or outdoors is an unnessary treatment.
3. For best results, 'building out' the problem should be a first choice and your PCO should be providing recommendations. Pesticides should always be the second choice
4. Chemicals will likely be required initially. Best results are achieved when PCO has easy open access. In your case, if possible, allowing access behind the dishwasher for example would likely be helpful.
5. If this is the first time calling an exterminator, I would expect a contract based upon getting rid of this pest is all you would need. Not a long term contract

All of this is being suggested with limited information so please appreciate that.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote