Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I am so impressed by everyone's efforts to help. I even received some help offers via PM.

Yes, I used dial-up on the old machine, right up to 2008! The free dial-up service is still available, but I'm heeding everyone's warnings about modern malware, and won't attempt it. The photo files are almost 2GB and when I tried uploading via dial-up back in 08, the upload just kept crashing.

I did back up the files on zip drives until there got to be too many bytes :-) And then the new PC wouldn't accept the old zip drives, nor would the library computers.

So, as you can see, I did try a lot of things before telling my woeful tale to the forum. I have been a bit afraid of removing the hard drive, but with the detailed instructions on this thread and on Youtube, I will attempt it.

And, I'll report back.

Amethyst
Expect the unexpected. A couple of things I recall from doing these type of recoveries.

After you do get the hard drive out, and place it in the USB external dock or cable--when your system first sees this drive there could be a couple of glitches:

- Your system might have a problem mounting the drive, as it could have disk or directory errors. Those can be dealt with, but expect a very long time for the OS to deal with that. Hopefully the drive is in good health and it will mount very quickly.
- Your Antivirus (Av) might be set to automatically check USB devices that are plugged in. If you plug in, drive mounts, and Av starts going at it, there is another delay as you wait for that to complete.

Everything can be dealt with, in time. Just have to be patient, and let the various tools do their job.

The one thing I'd be extra cautious about is virus and malware. If your Av system protection is up to date, and the features are on, you'll be protected. When you see the folder(s) you want, you can always right-click on those and perform another Av scan for additional safety.

Good luck with the project.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
- Your system might have a problem mounting the drive, as it could have disk or directory errors. Those can be dealt with, but expect a very long time for the OS to deal with that. Hopefully the drive is in good health and it will mount very quickly.
If you're have hard drive problems (e.g. bad sectors, not reading, etc.) then you really should try spinrite by Gibson Research Corp. Works on any drive, regardless of OS/formatting. Can take some time, but is known to recover drives that your average IT department has given up on. It's not free, but well worth the money ($89).
[Note that I have nothing to do with GRC, just have seen spinrite work wonders.]
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A word of advice:

You may wish to try to obtain a second hard drive first (3.5" harddrive with IDE interface) to get the process down before you try your drive with your valuable data. I typically do something like this when I am trying new tools that I am unfamiliar with and valuable data would be at risk otherwise.

You could find a drive like this on EBAY for less than $10.

Better to practice on a drive that you do not care about first....

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file transfer, old computer, windows 98