Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should I appeal the financial aid decision?
Yes 21 84.00%
No 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Help with Financial Aid Decision
Old 05-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is always the third option...appeal the decision, and if you get more aid, and then use some(or all) of the savings to donate to a cause/organization that you find worthy.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here are the results of my appeal:

Due to my appeal, the scholarship amount was increased from $11,700 to $21,700! That is, an increase of $10,000. The total for tuition and fees comes to $44,000, so the University will be paying about half.

Thanks for all your advice!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What an appeal! You're the man.

So, it took you about 2 hours to get it done, right? $5,000/hr, man oh man
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Wow. That's great.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
When I am at my best, the above would answer the question for me.

I am not always at my best, but I am trying to be at my best more often.

2Cor521
2Cor - For some reason, these words struck me. We are about the same age, and I have been thinking similar thoughts. I have found myself becoming more introspective lately.

Sorry OP, I don't have any thing to add to the Financial Aid discussion. Carry on...

Karen
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Karen,

Thanks!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

What a great thread! It looks like my plan to pay for college for my kids will work: Retire!

Did I write "work"? I meant "I won't work".

Besides me and T-Al, who else is gonna use retirement to get a great financial aid package?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. While we are saving and have good hopes to cover much of the college costs, it is somewhat like trying to predict future health care costs - since the total annual financial burden is influenced by where you go, scholarships, available past savings, loans, and current out of pocket costs.

If my plans go as hoped, I will FIRE during my twins' junior year of HS. From this group I have learned that aid is based on past year's income, with the junior year used as the basis for the freshman year. As a result, if I don't make my FIRE goals and have to keeping w*rking, I will end up having to contribute more -- so will need to keeping w*rking!

So, like LOL!, in some ways I hope to FIRE to help pay for college.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, I can't tell if you are kidding or not. It is perfectly feasible to semi-retire, a la "Work Less - Live More," and reduce your income to the point that the government and universities step up and pay for your kids' college educations. If you were still working 100%, you would have had to pay for the educations. Work Less - Live More - Get Financial Aid.

A flaw feature of the system is need is measured by what you make, not what you could make if you were really trying.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt123
LOL, I can't tell if you are kidding or not.
Let me make myself perfectly clear: I am not a crook kidding.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For the first year we got a 2K scholarship from the university, and 4K in one-year scholarships from outside sources, and we paid the rest. After learning from this forum that one can get just as good of an education from a good state school, I did some significant kicking of myself for what I considered was a major financial blunder.

However, with the current level of financial aid, it's turned out OK.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

TromboneAl,

Congratulations on winning the financial aid appeal!

This is my first post on this board, and I just wanted to point out something that may help you (and others) in the future in regards to financial aid. IF you can manage to qualify to file a 1040A or 1040EZ federal tax form (instead of the 1040 long form), with your low adjusted gross income it appears that you should qualify for an automatic zero EFC in future years! This is known as "Automatic Zero-EFC."

The key is which tax form you file. If the parents have AGI of $20,000 or less (2006 amount) and the parents can file a 1040A or 1040EZ, then the student's EFC will be zero. This is even if the child has substantial income, or you and your child have substantial assets, as assets would not be counted in the financial aid formula.

There is also another rule known as the "Simplified Needs Test." If the parents have AGI below $50,000 (2006 amount) and the parents can file the 1040EZ or 1040A form, then all the family's assets will be excluded from the federal financial aid formula. This can be a substantial benefit if much of your wealth is outside tax-sheltered retirement plans.

These two rules can make the student eligible for a Pell Grant and other benefits. It's my understanding that if you did file a 1040, but were eligible to file a 1040A or 1040EZ, these rules will still apply. If the only reason you have to file a 1040 is because you have taxable capital gains from the sale of securities, for example, you may want to think about delaying sale of stocks in future years while your child is in college so you can file a 1040A or EZ.

There is an excellent financial aid calculator at http://www.finaid.org/calculators/finaidestimate.phtml that includes these two rules in the calculations. It may be fun to play with the numbers there!

Best wishes!