Help with picking winter coat!

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I never thought this day would come (again).

I am not that cold blooded that I need a parka like I had when we lived in the frozen north of Connecticut. I had a goose down coat that I bought from Land's End and two similar down vests. But they have disappeared after three moves and many downsizing's. Livng here in south Texas I get by with a light jacket and sweatshirts in the winter months.

But these days, I am finding myself ending up in places like Indiana, Canada and Illinois when frigid temps are the norm (0 - 20 F).

So I need to shop for a jacket/coat that is good for 0 to 40 F. I have a few jackets that work well from 40 + F. I also have a fire retardant parka that I wore in North Dakota when it was -25 F, but it is huge and heavy. And it's also a pain to pack for a trip.

So I am looking for recommendations and don't want to spend more than $150 on a winter coat. Preferably a jacket style and lined with down (or the imitation of the day). I did look at this one, but reviewers are saying these are "not as good as the original, BC (before China)":

Mountain Ops Jacket | Eddie Bauer

Any recommendations? Quality is important, but that may be a distant memory these days.

Thanks in advance!;)

Find a Sears with an in-house Lands End store. Their down coats should be on clearance now. Last year I picked up a commuter coat for about 60 percent off the original list price. I have bought all my winter clothes on clearance there for the last few years.

Now is a good time to practice LBYM, since winter coats are on sale! A bit longer to cover/partially cover your butt and keep wind from getting in around your torso makes a big difference. Also a collar that you can snug up helps in the wind. I like pockets that I can put my hands in, even with gloves on. Windproof fabric helps as well.

That Squall parka looks like a good choice.

I have a friend who absolutely swears by anything Patagonia. My sister loves her long Patagonia coat. I think they are very pricey, but you can't beat the durability, and of course the fabled backstory of the founder.

I swear by LL Bean, for both boots and winter coats. I think this is the one I have:

Men's Rugged Ridge Parka | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Tough to find availability this time of year, though. They typically sell out much of their best winter gear by now.

Thanks, I've had L.L. Bean stuff when I lived back east. Looks like a lot of sites are short on inventory at this time of year the more I poke around.

aja8888- I would recommend an insulated Carhartt jacket with a hood like the one in the previous post by Animorph. I have one and have worn it down to -20.

This is what I bought for a trip to Fairbanks, AK this March:

Carhartt J133 - Carhartt Extremes Arctic Active Jacket - Quilt Lined at Dungarees

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Kind of stiff right now, but lighter than I thought it would be. It's supposed to be their warmest insulation.

aja8888- I would recommend an insulated Carhartt jacket with a hood like the one in the previous post by Animorph. I have one and have worn it down to -20.

Thanks, that looks like the one I will order seeing they have my size and the price is right. ;) Plus the hood...:)

Filson wool vest is good for layering under your jacket to make it warmer, can shed the jacket if you are active while keeping the core warm, long life product too.

Back
Top Bottom