Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am hard at work perfecting my 2 minute toothbrush routine. Dentists are calling me from all over the country asking for my secret. I'm now going to preview some of this for you guys.

I get a lot of tartar. One of those genetically unlucky mouth types. So I have one of those Oral B brushes with the timer that gives 4 beeps in 2 minutes of brushing. That means I can micromanage how much to do where. I could go into immense detail but I've probably lost most of the readers already.

Maybe I should start a toothbrushing methodology thread?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I am hard at work perfecting my 2 minute toothbrush routine. Dentists are calling me from all over the country asking for my secret. I'm now going to preview some of this for you guys.

I get a lot of tartar. One of those genetically unlucky mouth types. So I have one of those Oral B brushes with the timer that gives 4 beeps in 2 minutes of brushing. That means I can micromanage how much to do where. I could go into immense detail but I've probably lost most of the readers already.

Maybe I should start a toothbrushing methodology thread?
I don't brush long enough and feel guilty about it when I see my dentist every 6 months. I need the same type of brush you are using.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I don't brush long enough and feel guilty about it when I see my dentist every 6 months. I need the same type of brush you are using.
There are several models on Amazon. I recently got this one for our son:
Amazon.com: Oral-B Professional Healthy Clean + Gum Care Precision 3000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush 1 Count: Health & Personal Care

Happy brushing!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always made it my goal to be efficient, so I minimized steps needed to do a task. So if I had to take laundry upstairs I would try and take it all at once, etc. Given my daily commute and work and life, I had to make the most of everyday and thus worked out a system to be a efficient as possible.

However now that I am moving into retirement I have found that I need/want to be more IN-efficient. I am not as active as I was when I was working and commuting, so I am trying to find little tweaks in my daily routine that will help me burn a few more calories, and one way to do that is by inefficiency. So instead of using the downstairs toilet, I will walk up the stairs and use the upstairs toilet. I take the laundry up in 2 or 3 loads, etc. It doesn't sound like much but over the course of a day, it adds up to a lot of steps.

I also now take my time to do the best job I can do, instead of just getting it done and moving on. I find that I am also taking care of myself more, and that makes me happy. My dentist will be thrilled when I see him next month as I have brushed, flossed and used the waterpik every day since I last saw him. So I guess my routine is to slow down and enjoy the process more and take care of myself more. I like it.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

After getting my Vivofit band (see my thread on this) I too am starting to relax about "inefficiency". Yes, sometimes: inefficient = better workout.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
After getting my Vivofit band (see my thread on this) I too am starting to relax about "inefficiency". Yes, sometimes: inefficient = better workout.
I just got a Shine which is similar to the Vivofit band (but more discreet aesthetic wise) but I am having fun with it as well. I find that by monitoring it, it forces me to get up and be active. I am not competitive with other people but I am a mutha about it within myself! So I keep trying to push that number up each day. My dog loves it as she gets an extra walk in now that she didn't use to get.
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #27

Ditto on squeegeeing the shower.

Mail: I stand by the trash can and throw out obvious junk. Open bills, sit down, write the checks, they go out the next day, and update Quicken and spreadsheet. Yeah they get paid early, but so what? I want it done so I don't have to remember to do it. The checking account pays near-zero interest anyway.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I do the same, except I use electronic checking, so I can specify the date of payment. The discipline lies in immediately updating my electronic checkbook with "Scheduled" in the subject line. I project our checkbook out 2 months at a time so I can see if there's likely to be extra or a shortfall.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Open bills, sit down, write the checks, they go out the next day, and update Quicken and spreadsheet. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #29

All our bill paying except for the credit cards has been automated.

I use google calendar to set up email reminders for periodic tasks like checking bank balance at the end of the month, getting a free credit reports every 4 months, changing furnace filters, putting out the garbage, watering the plants etc. I try to do these tasks on the day that I get the email.

Dinners - I cook our dinners and I like to have a plan of what I'm going to make for the week. Makes shopping easy. I don't always stick to the plan though.

We are one of the "keep the sink clean" families. We clean up after dinner & never go to bed with a dirty kitchen. However, I don't wear shoes during the day
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
....DH is the one I blame for that, though, because everything he uses (tools, electronics, drinking glasses) is set down right where he was last using it. I didn't really realize how much that contributed to the mess until he went out of town a few weeks ago! The house is MUCH cleaner without him.
Is that you, SIL? My DW does the exact same thing. Makes it hard for me to work with her because the chaos drives me crazy.

One of my habits years ago was when a bill came in the mail I would write out the check to pay it, put it in the envelope and seal it and put a date a few days before the due date where the stamp would normally go and then file it in date order, The when the selected date came I would put a stamp over the date on the envelope and put it in the mail.

I do autopay as much as possible now and electronic bill payment where I can't do auto-pay.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Dental floss is your friend.

Every night after dinner, plus one spot after every meal.

That is definitely in my top 4. Along with morning newspaper, coffee, exercising , and never making my bed each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I didn't really realize how much that contributed to the mess until he went out of town a few weeks ago! The house is MUCH cleaner without him.
I've been out of town a lot recently, and every time I come home the house looks great. DW spends a lot of time cleaning when I'm not around. She is actually the bigger clutter depositor, but it's always easier to pick up after yourself than someone else.

On the other hand, when she goes away the house deteriorates until the day before she gets home. The results are the same (clean house for returning spouse), but the routines are very different.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #33

I love threads like this !

1. Make bed every morning (really all I do is fluff the pillows and pull up the sheets / blankets)
2. Think about days "must do's" during my 2 min Oral B toothbrush brushing
3. Say a quick prayer of thanks every morning and ask for courage and strength where needed
4. Always put my handbag in the same place, and have my keys in the same place inside it (misplacing items used to be a HUGE time waste - so now I have "a place for everything and everything in its place" mentality)
5. All recurring bills on automatic electronic debit (I dont have any company pull dollars - I always push the funds). Non recurring bills that show up in the mail get paid within 48 hrs (usually via credit card - I hate writing checks).
6. Never go to bed with dishes in the sink - try and have an empty sink and counter immediately after dinner
7. Set out tomorrow's clothes before going to bed. I have less emotional connection with tomorrow's clothes than I do when I select something for the same day - saves me time. I never allow myself to pick something different (unless for things like unknown damage in what I selected).
8. Say my prayers and give thanks for the day during my 2 min evening tooth brushing

I 'sometimes' set up emails and electronic calendar reminders - but I'm not consistent yet. I'm going to do more of that.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because we have wood floors, the main source of dog water is kept in the laundry room. In order to remember to refill it, I retrieve it, clean and refill it while my coffee brews. That way all the beverages are done at the same time. No reading in the morning until the pedals are moving on the exercise bike. Then the dry dishes from the night before get put away and the dishwasher is emptied if needed. After that the day is unstructured because I am retired!

+1 on the squeegee
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #35

My morning routine is first to take my "30 minutes before eating" meds, pull on my walking clothes, pick up my iPhone and headset, and head out the door for a 2-mile walk (listening to NPR) before I'm even awake. I started this in 2001 (just before 9/11, which is how I remember) and still find that if I don't do it when I first get up, it doesn't get done. (Of course, now it's around 8am, not 5:45am as it was back in the w*rkday times.)

I was not a bedmaker in the w*rking years, not wanting to take time in the morning and not seeing the point in the evening, but started doing it a couple of years ago and really do like having a tidy bed each evening (nothing fancy, but tidy).

I was a Flylady follower for a few years when the house seemed to always be getting away from me, and although the sink isn't always clean when I go to bed, it is more often than not.

One thing I want to get better at is scheduling reminders for certain recurring tasks as mentioned by some of the other posters. I was good at that for w*rk tasks but haven't translated that over to daily life yet.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to read FlyLady too

In keeping up with the routines, I have developed a bit of OCD in the process! The bed is made every day after waking up, the kitchen is cleaned at night, the hardwood floors are vacuumed 2-3 times a week depending on cat hair, The bathroom is cleaned almost every day, the shower is squeegeed every day and deep cleaned once a week, fresh towels every other day, clean sheets 2-3 times a week.... I love cleaning!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I used to read FlyLady too

In keeping up with the routines, I have developed a bit of OCD in the process! The bed is made every day after waking up, the kitchen is cleaned at night, the hardwood floors are vacuumed 2-3 times a week depending on cat hair, The bathroom is cleaned almost every day, the shower is squeegeed every day and deep cleaned once a week, fresh towels every other day, clean sheets 2-3 times a week.... I love cleaning!
Citrine, you can come over to my place anytime!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+1 !!!!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I love threads like this !

1. Make bed every morning (really all I do is fluff the pillows and pull up the sheets / blankets)
2. Think about days "must do's" during my 2 min Oral B toothbrush brushing
3. Say a quick prayer of thanks every morning and ask for courage and strength where needed
4. Always put my handbag in the same place, and have my keys in the same place inside it (misplacing items used to be a HUGE time waste - so now I have "a place for everything and everything in its place" mentality)
5. All recurring bills on automatic electronic debit (I dont have any company pull dollars - I always push the funds). Non recurring bills that show up in the mail get paid within 48 hrs (usually via credit card - I hate writing checks).
6. Never go to bed with dishes in the sink - try and have an empty sink and counter immediately after dinner
7. Set out tomorrow's clothes before going to bed. I have less emotional connection with tomorrow's clothes than I do when I select something for the same day - saves me time. I never allow myself to pick something different (unless for things like unknown damage in what I selected).
8. Say my prayers and give thanks for the day during my 2 min evening tooth brushing

I 'sometimes' set up emails and electronic calendar reminders - but I'm not consistent yet. I'm going to do more of that.
Impressive list!

In our house DW does 1, and 6.
I do 2, 4 (in pockets not handbag), 5.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
... The bed is made every day after waking up, the kitchen is cleaned at night, the hardwood floors are vacuumed 2-3 times a week depending on cat hair, The bathroom is cleaned almost every day, the shower is squeegeed every day and deep cleaned once a week, fresh towels every other day, clean sheets 2-3 times a week.... I love cleaning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Meadbh, I also really, really love cleaning AND I can pronounce your name correctly.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
habits, life hack, routines