Join Early Retirement Today

Here goes nothing....
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here goes nothing....

Ok, I am facing a crossroads.

I have lived in East Nowhere for 30 years now. My fave Bostonian has lived here for 27 years. We both married locals and got stuck stayed here.

We are starting to seriously discuss a 1 year (or shorter) plan to get the h*ll out of Dodge. I know there have been a lot of links posted about which states are more beneficial to retirees.

Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean. We are doing the research to put the plan together.

Mr Boston was a Senior Accountant by profession, so I have jettisoned the load elected him as Business Manager for us. I'll tune up the lawnmowers while he pushes the paper formulates The Plan.

If you know of any good links about things to consider for relocating, please re-post them here.

I have no definite questions right now, but any experience from the collective would be greatly appreciated.

Ask ME the tough questions. It will help me focus...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Doesn't sound like a crossroads to me - more like the start of a new adventure.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

East Nowhere to MA or NH. Sounds like you will be moving to Further East Nowhere.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well I would mention TX, but you know about all the goin's on here...
Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

I have lived in East Nowhere for 30 years now. My fave Bostonian has lived here for 27 years. We both married locals and got stuck stayed here.

We are starting to seriously discuss a 1 year (or shorter) plan to get the h*ll out of Dodge. I know there have been a lot of links posted about which states are more beneficial to retirees.

Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean. We are doing the research to put the plan together.

Mr Boston was a Senior Accountant by profession, so I have jettisoned the load elected him as Business Manager for us. I'll tune up the lawnmowers while he pushes the paper formulates The Plan.

If you know of any good links about things to consider for relocating, please re-post them here.

I have no definite questions right now, but any experience from the collective would be greatly appreciated.

Ask me the tough questions. It will help me focus...
I too have been getting restless and considering a physical move.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

East Nowhere to MA or NH. Sounds like you will be moving to Further East Nowhere.
What a neat site!

A big factor...his Mom is getting up there in years. We want to be near his family while she is still with us. I have no family I care to associate with, so I gain an extended family in the deal.

So as long as I don't cheer for the NY Yankees within a 300 mile radius of Boston, I'll do just fine.
LET'S GO METS!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Doesn't sound like a crossroads to me - more like the start of a new adventure.
And so it shall be.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well I would mention TX, but you know about all the goin's on here...
Just a plane ride away, lady....
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So as long as I don't cheer for the NY Yankees within a 300 mile radius of Boston, I'll do just fine.
LET'S GO METS!
I applaud your being an underground Yankee fan in Red Sox country, but don't cheer too loudly for the Mets. Remember 1986.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Go for it!!!

Has East Nowhere has been a little depressingly gray in the winter for you? Is there more sunshine in NH or MA?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Have a great adventure !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

From the title of this thread, I thought you were going to finally post those dirty pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
From the title of this thread, I thought you were going to finally post those dirty pics...
You bad HFWR. But then again, that's what I like about you.

Freebird, making a change can be a very good thing. You always want a sound exit strategy if it doesn't work out though - particularly during these times when it can take forever to move a property. Consider trying a place on for size first. Renting or vacationing before committing might be a good idea.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've shown my legs several times...so there!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Go for it!!!

Has East Nowhere has been a little depressingly gray in the winter for you? Is there more sunshine in NH or MA?
Yes, actually there is more sunshine near the coast.
Let us return to Physical Science 100...

Here in East Nowhere, east of Syracuse NY, I live to the southeast of Lake Ontario with revailing NW winds. In plain English, that means maximum lake effect snow and cloud cover from the winds picking up moisture off of the surface of the big lake. Every day of the year unless there is a high pressure system keeping the sky clear.
I am also just due south of one of the highest snowfall rate regions in the state on the Tug Hill Plateau. The Weather Channel comes to this area on a regular basis to report on record (feet!) snowfalls in 24 hour periods.

Now, close to the ocean, the climate is moderated by the warmth of the Gulf Stream "just offshore", relatively speaking.
Except for the occasional Nor'easter , there will be less snow where we intend to move. Spring will come and stay much sooner. Traces of hurricanes may affect MA and NH also, but rarely.
You can tell that I have studied the weather for the area very closely.

I just ran the Climate comparison between Syracuse NY and Nashua NH. WOW!
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/defau...000&op=3350260
Old 10-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You bad HFWR. But then again, that's what I like about you.

Freebird, making a change can be a very good thing. You always want a sound exit strategy if it doesn't work out though - particularly during these times when it can take forever to move a property. Consider trying a place on for size first. Renting or vacationing before committing might be a good idea.
Yes of course. We intend to put my house in showroom condition (easily done with cosmetic upgrades inside) this winter, have it appraised, and ONLY put it on the market when we have fully scoped out our destination. We will first look modest size houses to rent in NH. I already have Mr Boston looking on craigslist for the NH area.
He is originally from the area, so it is not new territory for him. And I am an adventurer at heart, so I am really psyched about this potential relocation. I need this badly.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like you've got it all covered. All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is worth repeating from my first post here...

Ask ME the tough questions. It will help me focus...

Fire away folks. There may be things I have not thought about.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #19

Quick, visceral response based on personal experience:

1. Forget MA. I hate it.

2. The NH area around Portsmouth is really nice. Going away from the coast (up north) is even nicer, but you lose some of the urban amenities.

3. Please also consider nearby Maine, all the way up to Portland. If you're not really familiar with it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Okey dokey freebird....how about a cost analysis? Not asking for exact $ amounts, just how you've worked though all this:

- Amount cleared, after expenses, from your current place
- Cost of renting, checking out new area
- Cost of eventually buying in new area
- Difficulty in selling current place in today's market

Plus, have you thought about:
- Proximity to those you care about - for example, friends and neighbors
- Has adequte consideration been given to other locations outside of MA or NH? If you're going to make the "big move" why not someplace like Florida or Southern California - may be very affordable in these days with a more gentle climate - plus you can insist on being close to an airport so you can be within a reasonable travel distance to his mom
- Why not move his mom to a new area where you re-locate?

Just some quick thoughts....