Here goes nothing....

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok, I am facing a crossroads.

I have lived in East Nowhere for 30 years now. My fave Bostonian has lived here for 27 years. We both married locals and [-]got stuck[/-] stayed here. :nonono:

We are starting to seriously discuss a 1 year (or shorter) plan to get the h*ll out of Dodge. I know there have been a lot of links posted about which states are more beneficial to retirees.

Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean. We are doing the research to put the plan together.

Mr Boston was a Senior Accountant by profession, so I have [-]jettisoned the load[/-] elected him as Business Manager for us. I'll tune up the lawnmowers while he [-]pushes the paper[/-] formulates The Plan. :LOL:

If you know of any good links about things to consider for relocating, please [-]re-[/-]post them here.

I have no definite questions right now, but any experience from the collective would be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Ask ME the tough questions. It will help me focus...:)

Well I would mention TX, but you know about all the goin's on here...:angel:

Ok, I am facing a crossroads.

I have lived in East Nowhere for 30 years now. My fave Bostonian has lived here for 27 years. We both married locals and [-]got stuck[/-] stayed here. :nonono:

We are starting to seriously discuss a 1 year (or shorter) plan to get the h*ll out of Dodge. I know there have been a lot of links posted about which states are more beneficial to retirees.

Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean. We are doing the research to put the plan together.

Mr Boston was a Senior Accountant by profession, so I have [-]jettisoned the load[/-] elected him as Business Manager for us. I'll tune up the lawnmowers while he [-]pushes the paper[/-] formulates The Plan. :LOL:

If you know of any good links about things to consider for relocating, please [-]re-[/-]post them here.

I have no definite questions right now, but any experience from the collective would be greatly appreciated. :flowers:

Ask me the tough questions. It will help me focus...:)

I too have been getting restless and considering a physical move.

Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

East Nowhere to MA or NH. Sounds like you will be moving to Further East Nowhere.
What a neat site! :flowers:

A big factor...his Mom is getting up there in years. We want to be near his family while she is still with us. I have no family I care to associate with, so I gain an extended family in the deal. :D

So as long as I don't cheer for the NY Yankees within a 300 mile radius of Boston, I'll do just fine.
LET'S GO METS! :LOL:

So as long as I don't cheer for the NY Yankees within a 300 mile radius of Boston, I'll do just fine.
LET'S GO METS! :LOL:

I applaud your being an underground Yankee fan in Red Sox country, but don't cheer too loudly for the Mets. Remember 1986.

Go for it!!!

Has East Nowhere has been a little depressingly gray in the winter for you? Is there more sunshine in NH or MA?

From the title of this thread, I thought you were going to finally post those dirty pics... >:D

From the title of this thread, I thought you were going to finally post those dirty pics... >:D

You bad HFWR. But then again, that's what I like about you.

Freebird, making a change can be a very good thing. You always want a sound exit strategy if it doesn't work out though - particularly during these times when it can take forever to move a property. Consider trying a place on for size first. Renting or vacationing before committing might be a good idea.

Go for it!!!

Has East Nowhere has been a little depressingly gray in the winter for you? Is there more sunshine in NH or MA?
Yes, actually there is more sunshine near the coast.
Let us return to Physical Science 100...

Here in East Nowhere, east of Syracuse NY, I live to the southeast of Lake Ontario with revailing NW winds. In plain English, that means maximum lake effect snow and cloud cover from the winds picking up moisture off of the surface of the big lake. Every day of the year unless there is a high pressure system keeping the sky clear.
I am also just due south of one of the highest snowfall rate regions in the state on the Tug Hill Plateau. The Weather Channel comes to this area on a regular basis to report on record (feet!) snowfalls in 24 hour periods.

Now, close to the ocean, the climate is moderated by the warmth of the Gulf Stream "just offshore", relatively speaking.
Except for the occasional Nor'easter :nonono:, there will be less snow where we intend to move. Spring will come and stay much sooner. Traces of hurricanes may affect MA and NH also, but rarely.
You can tell that I have studied the weather :cool: for the area very closely.

I just ran the Climate comparison between Syracuse NY and Nashua NH. WOW!
http://www.bestplaces.net/city/defa...acuse_NY&ccity=Nashua_NH&p=3673000&op=3350260

You bad HFWR. But then again, that's what I like about you.

Freebird, making a change can be a very good thing. You always want a sound exit strategy if it doesn't work out though - particularly during these times when it can take forever to move a property. Consider trying a place on for size first. Renting or vacationing before committing might be a good idea.
Yes of course. We intend to put my house in showroom condition (easily done with cosmetic upgrades inside) this winter, have it appraised, and ONLY put it on the market when we have fully scoped out our destination. We will first look modest size houses to rent in NH. I already have Mr Boston looking on craigslist for the NH area.
He is originally from the area, so it is not new territory for him. And I am an adventurer at heart, so I am really psyched about this potential relocation. I need this badly. :D

Sounds like you've got it all covered. All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them:flowers:

This is worth repeating from my first post here...

Ask ME the tough questions. It will help me focus...:)

Fire away folks. There may be things I have not thought about. :confused:

Quick, visceral response based on personal experience:

1. Forget MA. I hate it.

2. The NH area around Portsmouth is really nice. Going away from the coast (up north) is even nicer, but you lose some of the urban amenities.

3. Please also consider nearby Maine, all the way up to Portland. If you're not really familiar with it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Okey dokey freebird....how about a cost analysis? Not asking for exact $ amounts, just how you've worked though all this:

- Amount cleared, after expenses, from your current place
- Cost of renting, checking out new area
- Cost of eventually buying in new area
- Difficulty in selling current place in today's market

Plus, have you thought about:
- Proximity to those you care about - for example, friends and neighbors
- Has adequte consideration been given to other locations outside of MA or NH? If you're going to make the "big move" why not someplace like Florida or Southern California - may be very affordable in these days with a more gentle climate - plus you can insist on being close to an airport so you can be within a reasonable travel distance to his mom
- Why not move his mom to a new area where you re-locate?

Just some quick thoughts....

Okey dokey freebird....how about a cost analysis? Not asking for exact $ amounts, just how you've worked though all this:

- Amount cleared, after expenses, from your current place
- Cost of renting, checking out new area
- Cost of eventually buying in new area
- Difficulty in selling current place in today's market

Plus, have you thought about:
- Has adequte consideration been given to other locations outside of MA or NH? If you're going to make the "big move" why not someplace like Florida or Southern California - may be very affordable in these days with a more gentle climate - plus you can insist on being close to an airport so you can be within a reasonable travel distance to his mom

Just some quick thoughts....
Excellent stuff. :flowers:

Mr Boston is working the combined budget numbers, after all he was a Senior Accountant by profession. :D I told him I started this thread and he is very excited to see what you all will throw out there for us to think about.

Housing number crunching is TBD.

He has a favorite expression..."Put the s**t on the plate" meaning do not pull punches with him. See why we get along so well? :LOL:

I'll address your fabulous questions (italics) one by one...this helps ME to formulate our approach and my mindset.

This is a tough one, but I will be brutally honest about my situation here. I am a transplant who married a local boy. Before I was widowed, I had a very active social life. Our former couple friends, for the most part, now no longer remember who I am. No pity party, but this is very common for widows. Society treats us differently. So except for about a dozen very dear adopted family (my closest friends), I am on my own here.
Two of my closest adopted family members ("brother" and "sister") have already told me to GO FOR IT. :D My life coach told me to get out of this area way back in January 2010.

I lived in CA for a while. I've been to FL many times in my lifetime. I like the warm climates for visits, but I am a dyed in the wool Yankee. I like my 4 seasons with escape trips during harsh winters. The warmer seasons in New England are fabulous. AND I get the ocean nearby as part of the package. Whale watching. Lobster. Clams. Beaches. Lighthouses. Sailing ship era museum excursions. Nautical history and coastal environment. I will be in heaven. :D

His Mom and several aunts and uncles and cousins and nephews and nieces all live in the MA/NH state border area. The benefit WE will get is this...he will return to his roots, and I will become a MOST WELCOMED part of an extended family, something I have never had in my life. Sad but true. :( His family is rolling out the red carpet to me. I feel like a new bride being brought home. Giggle. :blush:

I can live anywhere. I am a chameleon and a Freebird. :D

Having spent 6 years in a lake effect climate, I cannot imagine lasting 30. You are made of stern stuff, so I am pretty sure you will land on your feet wherever you go.

Poke around the city data forums for some hints, although wth a former local from the area you are headed towards you should have a good idea of where to go.

I don't know how you do health insurance now, but if you buy in the open market I would take a close look at the insurance market in the two states you are considering and make sure you can get coverage and not get killed.

Other than that, have at it.

Having spent 6 years in a lake effect climate, I cannot imagine lasting 30. You are made of stern stuff, so I am pretty sure you will land on your feet wherever you go.

Poke around the city data forums for some hints, although wth a former local from the area you are headed towards you should have a good idea of where to go.

I don't know how you do health insurance now, but if you buy in the open market I would take a close look at the insurance market in the two states you are considering and make sure you can get coverage and not get killed.

Other than that, have at it.
Well thank you. What a high compliment you just gave me. :flowers:

Mr Boston knows the area's changes from repeated trips back home over 27 years. He is still amazed I am willing to go "back home" with him. He has a close high school buddy who is a real estate agent who knows the best house rental areas. We do not intend to buy real estate.

My health insurance is a survivor benefit under the federal CSRS federal retirement system. I currently have a local HMO plan. Open season starts in Nov, and I have a cornucopia of national health plans to pick from. Mr Boston is a 10% disabled veteran, so he is covered under VA benefits. We may have to get some supplemental insurance for him. He is researching that in real time.

Keep those questions coming. No question will be taken as offensive. If anyone sees a hole, POINT IT OUT.

It is really helping me think this through.

I don't know... How about playing vagabond for a while like Alan is doing?

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see...
- Moon River​

We do not intend to buy real estate.

Provided you are happy being a renter, I think this is key. As Uncle Mick says, you will be agile, mobile and hostile as a renter. If it does not work out or you decide you would rather be elsewhere (1, 1000, or 5000 miles elsewhere), you can pick up stakes without a lot of fuss. Since the rest is pretty readily changed if need be (over, say, a year), I think you have a lot of room for error.

Back
Top Bottom