Here's how young Chinese go into ER: "Let it rot"

+1. I’ve worked closely for years with many young professionals and have been consistently impressed with their drive, work ethic, creative problem solving and sheer knowledge, due to their lifelong marination in the internet. Differences with us 50-somethings and older might be their natural skills with systems of all sorts and their ability to see through and willingness to comment on the BS of more senior people, like me, and organizational dynamics. They don’t see themselves as mechanistic “human resources” but as expressive individuals who will participate in corporate BS only as long as the ROI is there for them. Otherwise, they are outta here. I think it’s a healthy way to approach work life but their brutal honesty can be unsettling and even startling to traditional command-and-control types, for sure. YMMV.

This. They have learned the lessons of their parents generation: the concept of loyalty doesn't exist for corporations, so they take a similar approach. Don’t pay me market rate? Another company offers more? They will be gone.

They have their own backs, and don’t apologize to anyone for this.

Overall, most of the young people I know work.

I do agree that slaving away in the hopes your contribution will be recognized and you will get 'your reward' is foolish. My father taught me that people should always work for themselves. This is true even if a person is employed by others. "You might be employed by MegaCorp, but always work for yourself". Keep you skills current, and don't be afraid to leave if the long term outlook is not good.

The video seems a little to slick for me. All of these very attractive young people leading lonely, sad, pathetic lives with high tech devices in very nicely furnished home. Hmm..... Just a bit to glossy for me to accept.

+1
Anyone whether young or old who has the attitude that they are owed a living doesn't get a gold sticker for their forehead or any sympathy from me. I reserve the help for those with serious physical or mental challenges who can use a helping hand.

Cheers!

From my experiences working with Megacorp partners and clients in China, one factor is that advancement in corporations seemed to be tied very much to (a) fluency in English (which is considered the "business language" in China), and (b) you/your/parent/family connections to the Communist Party. I recall one Megacorp partner on the project who constantly did stupid things, made insane requests of us, and was always escalating when things did not go their way to their executive management - who in turn would quietly apologize to us. The person kept that position (and got promoted though they did more to hurt the project than help) due to English fluency and having parents who were prominent in the Party.

However, for years there has been a big demand in China for English teachers (one of our children spent several years doing that), as that was seen as a unique skill. However, over time, as more people going into jobs are fluent, it becomes less of a unique skill set, and no longer a guarantee for advancement and job security. So that may be a factor as well.

Yep, I worked construction through high school & college because it paid the most for unskilled labor.

Some of the guys there earning the same as me were in their mid-30s, still as unskilled labor.

It was a great incentive to stay in school and not slack off...too much.

One of my best friends works at a roofing company. They do flat roofs on govt buildings, warehouses, schools, etc. He got the job out of high school and ended up staying with them. He was grunt labour for a few years, then did metal work (all the metal trim and edging that you see on buildings), after that he was running a crew. By his mid-30's he had become a job estimator and was making decent money. He only goes on roofs now to measure for a job.

He recently told me that one guy that started a few years after him is still grunt labour. He's 55 and is just reliable enough to keep his job but not reliable enough to advance.

He wasn't big and mean or anything, he was a nice guy, kinda small, but he was about mid fifties in age. And I was his supervisor. The lesson was clear that if I didn't get off my butt and make some plans then someday I could be him.

Maybe he was BaristaFIRE? ;)

I used to work with an elderly Chinese engineer. We were in a meeting once and he told the plant manager “you Americans are lazy” . But he was old school and escaped China during the revolution,

I lived and worked in China for 3 years (2007-2010). I didn't see any passion for work in company type employment. However, entrepreneurs were the opposite.

I saw a lot more of the hard working spirit in the USA when I lived there actually (1985-2007). I worked my butt off in the USA but I was well rewarded so it made sense. Plus I loved my work.

I totally get wanting to opt out of soul destroying work.

In some sense, that would be me - I LOVE lying flat on my couch watching TV - I bought an 85 inch Sony. Then, for 1 hour a day, DW and I walk around our subdivision (that's our exercise), and I go back to lying flat again. I can still be productive lying flat :)

I hate 996 .. that's a killer for China. I've been to Tibet - it's a nomadic life, and I understand if this chinese guy went there. There are no trees there at that altitude, just shrubs, and if you want meat - you eat Yak meat and Yak burger :)

Last edited:
Meanwhile, my relatives in Denmark feel that working late is bad for your family, which is bad for society, so it’s frowned upon as selfish. We should think more like this, especially with people at the top paid so much higher than the people at the bottom

Meanwhile, my relatives in Denmark feel that working late is bad for your family, which is bad for society, so it’s frowned upon as selfish. We should think more like this, especially with people at the top paid so much higher than the people at the bottom

I think the word "should" in relation to cultural differences may be too strong a word. It's fine to embrace the cultural norms of ones relatives but suggesting another culture "should" adopt another culture's norms may be a bridge too far. We all choose our own attitudes toward w*rk and family. YMMV

In some sense, that would be me - I LOVE lying flat on my couch watching TV - I bought an 85 inch Sony. Then, for 1 hour a day, DW and I walk around our subdivision (that's our exercise), and I go back to lying flat again. I can still be productive lying flat :)

I hate 996 .. that's a killer for China. I've been to Tibet - it's a nomadic life, and I understand if this chinese guy went there. There are no trees there at that altitude, just shrubs, and if you want meat - you eat Yak meat and Yak burger :)

If you can hang the TV from the ceiling, can watch it while lying really flat without craning your neck.

If you can hang the TV from the ceiling, can watch it while lying really flat without craning your neck.

Haha … no .. that would be dangerous if the TV fell down if there’s a tremor or an earthquake

Haha … no .. that would be dangerous if the TV fell down if there’s a tremor or an earthquake

Heh, heh, ours is mounted on a poured concrete wall. The wall would need to fall for the TV to fall. The Ro-Tap screws in there are LONG! YMMV

Heh, heh, ours is mounted on a poured concrete wall. The wall would need to fall for the TV to fall. The Ro-Tap screws in there are LONG! YMMV

Haha .. a TV embedded in a concrete ceiling :confused: send me a picture .. I've got to see how that looks like :D lol

All you need is to find the ceiling joists to screw the mount onto.

A retiree wants to "lie flat" with style, not like the Chinese youngsters.

NJ5_Bg_0K.jpg

41FucIUxocL._CR0,437,720,406_SR342,193__BG0,0,0__QL65_.jpg

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for those who choose not to work.

I have for those who cannot work.

And for those employers who suggested I should work longer and harder...

Well I found another job - :)

Back
Top Bottom