Here's When the Government Now Thinks You'll Die

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Well, it seems that when I decided to delay taking SS until FRA age that was the right choice.:dance:

Last edited:
It's still past my breakeven point so delaying SS was the right move. :D

Hmm... about 25 years left... I was hoping/planning for 30-40. I think I need to start spending more now!

Mine is 1.8 years past my break-even age of 80 so I'm glad I filed 2.5 years before FRA and quit working. Even if I live longer there's a history of dementia on one side of the family so there's a 50-50 chance I won't know I've run out of money. :)

Ray

24.5 yrs for me

Perhaps I too need to spend more.

of course, going by gender based family longevity, I will be fortunate to have 10 yrs left.

Blow that dough, or enjoy living as I am now, and let the ebb and flow of circumstances (ie the known unknowns of home repair and improvement ideas and travel urges, pet care, charitable giving ideas, etc etc) provide the dough blowing opportunities as i go along

Y'all may live a lot longer than that life expectancy that you see. :)

Or a lot less. >:D

I found the data on Table B (page 6) of the document interesting. For the total population (all races, both sexes), the odds are as follows.

1) Out of 100,000 persons, 77,751 make it to the age of 70. That's a chance of 77.8%. Almost 1 in 4 never make it to 70. That's a lot of unlucky people. If you make it, so far so good.

2) Out of 100,000 persons, 57,781 make it to 80. So, almost 20 thousands die off from the 77,751 earlier. The chance of you lingering another 10 years to go from 70 to 80 is 74.3%. Another 25% will be culled off.

3) Out of 100,000 persons, 24,735 make it to 90. That's only 1/3 of the people who made it to 70. It's tougher and tougher.

Yet, if we look at 24,735 nonagenarians out of 100,000, the chance is almost 1 in 4. I did not know it was that high.

But then, only 2,102 make it to 100. Even if one makes it to 90, the odds of making it to 100 are slim.

Can we just opt out and live forever? I'm having too much fun to go any time soon... :LOL: Just joking because I know we don't get a choice about it, but gee. I thought the years past 65 were supposed to be sad and miserable, and instead I am having the time of my life.

Woo-hoo!

30+ years for me!

Another 3 years for my 95-year-old great aunt (who just moved to assisted living from a condo)

Last edited:
I wonder how many noticed that white males are trending down! Hope that turns around soon!

Can we just opt out and live forever? I'm having too much fun to go any time soon... :LOL: Just joking because I know we don't get a choice about it, but gee. I thought the years past 65 were supposed to be sad and miserable, and instead I am having the time of my life.

Don't worry you have Firecalc at 116.:cool:

Don't worry you have Firecalc at 116.:cool:

:LOL: But the link MickeyD provided gave me only 15 years, to age 85. Ah, little do they know! I have my ambitions, and living to at least 90 is one of them. 116 would be better.

I wonder how many noticed that white males are trending down! Hope that turns around soon!

This phenomenon has been studied, and there was a thread here last year about it (darn, my memory is still good!).

What happens is that the death rate of middle-aged white Americans has been increasing, and the cause of deaths is mostly self-inflicted such as suicide, alcoholism, accidents, drug abuse, etc... Sociologists believe that these deaths of despair are caused by economic disadvantages suffered by these men.

Hence, this causes a decline in overall longevity of white males, but has nothing to do with retirees, particularly well-funded ones.

Life is never fair, and that's all I can say about that.

Last edited:
Mine says 85 and I have always thought that’s about right. My husband is 5 years younger so will probably outlive me. Most people past 85 don’t have a great quality of life.

Mine says 29.9, which would put me at 82.9. If I can still dive then, that would be all right! Actually, I'd be happier with 20 more years of good health!

Is it just me, or do other people hate this type of slideshow-based storytelling mode for information? Just show me the chart please!!!

1) Out of 100,000 persons, 77,751 make it to the age of 70. That's a chance of 77.8%. Almost 1 in 4 never make it to 70. That's a lot of unlucky people. If you make it, so far so good.

Hmm, so if I go to Vegas and put our entire net worth on black, with a 48% chance of winning, then I have a 37% chance of making it to age 70 AND able to throw a big ass party?

36 years left for me. But I live in France now and they give me 1 extra year over here. However, life expectancy "in good health" (a measure published in the EU) is only 18 years for me! IOW, 18 more years before my quality of life starts to decline (statistically of course).
But that's OK, at age 45, I've already enjoyed more good years of retirement than most people ever will.

My husband visited his PCP last week and is in good health. He is 81 and was told he had an excellent chance to live into his 90s. Husband claims he said, "Shall I tell my wife?" ;)

At 70yrs I will be glad to reach 85 with a clear mind and able to get around by myself. Anything after that will be "gravy". I just need my wife to stay clear minded and healthy to take care of me. She has grown children but I don't so I need to go first. Don't want to wind up in a nursing home all alone waiting to die.

Cheers!

Is it just me, or do other people hate this type of slideshow-based storytelling mode for information? Just show me the chart please!!!

There is a link below the slideshow giving the chart.

36 years left for me. But I live in France now and they give me 1 extra year over here. However, life expectancy "in good health" (a measure published in the EU) is only 18 years for me! IOW, 18 more years before my quality of life starts to decline (statistically of course).
But that's OK, at age 45, I've already enjoyed more good years of retirement than most people ever will.

45+18 = 63, and one goes downhill already?

Darn! Perhaps there's some truth in that, even though I live in the US.

The recent flight from Paris to LA was terribly long and miserable for me. I still recall when we had non-stop flights from Phoenix to Frankfurt and it was nowhere that bad. But that was more than 15 years ago. I told my wife the way it went, it might not be long before I stopped travel altogether.

Back
Top Bottom