Hey look at me! I'm part Neanderthal...but which part?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
People of European descent may be 5% Neanderthal, according to a DNA study that questions whether modern humans left Africa and replaced all other existing hominids.

The same study, published in the latest issue of the journal PloS Genetics, also says West Africans could be related to an archaic human population.

As both groups spread, the findings suggest we all have a bit of archaic DNA in our genes
News in Science - Are you part-Neanderthal? - 23/08/2006

This goes a long way in explaining my low gutteral grunting and regular cravings for a 16 oz Woolly Mammoth steak.

Now I know why I have all this hair on my back.

Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

Not sure how accurate this WSJ piece is, but it appears that we homo-saps may have a mistaken conception about Neanderthal society and people.

BY NAOMI SCHAEFER RILEY
Friday, December 15, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

The December issue of the journal Current Anthropology offers a new hypothesis for how the Neanderthals died out 10,000 years ago. It happens that there was little or no division of labor in Neanderthal society. Unlike in early human communities, where the men hunted and the women gathered (or hunted small animals), male and female Neanderthals were both engaged in going after big game, at least if the evidence from their gravesites is to be believed. When there was no big game, there was no food at all.

OpinionJournal - Taste

Ha

Back
Top Bottom