Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

High School Graduation gifts
Old 05-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

High School Graduation gifts

Greg's neice is graduating from highschool and her party is this weekend. I know cash is an appropriate gift. But how much? We haven't been around high school graduations for a while. There are 4 younger brothers behind her so we have to keep that in mind when deciding on the size of the gift. . . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We gave all three of our friend's kids $50. You could always get them a gift certificate.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We gave those we were not close with $25 and those we were closer to $50.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I determine the size of the cash gift based on the college the kid got into, and how much scholarship (not grants) he/she got from that college. 6 years ago, my niece got a full tuition scholarship to Tuft University. I gave her $500. 4 years ago my twin nephews got half tuition scholarship to Boston University, I gave each $300. Another nephew graduated but decided not to go to college. He didn't get anything from me.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much is a keg these days?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #6

Savings bonds
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When our neice and nephew graduated from highschool a few years ago, we gave them $500 each. I still consider that a little high, but since we have no children, we were able to give this amount.

If there were more neices and nephews involved, it would have been less. Honestly, I think $100 is very generous.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Usually $50 cash, although savings bonds are a good idea.

I don't agree with denying a HS graduation gift if the student does not go to college. Many people get training/certification in other areas and lead financially successful lives. And many people lead happy lives without lots of money or a college degree.

I know we all want what is best for our loved ones, but should we be the judge of what is best for them?
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We've given all our nieces/nephews $50.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #10

I have given all my nieces and nephews $150 for high school graduation and 200 for college. Last year My nieces(twins) graduated HS and we gave each $150. Next weekend the last niece will graduate HS......
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAT View Post
......I don't agree with denying a HS graduation gift if the student does not go to college. Many people get training/certification in other areas and lead financially successful lives. And many people lead happy lives without lots of money or a college degree......
That fits me to a "T". I went into the w*rk force right out of HS, and was able to FIRE @ 50, with no college degree. I have taken a few...very few....college classes over the years, though none were j*b related in any way. During my 31+ years at w*rk, I did get some tech training...again not much.

My sister, who has a degree, plans on w*rking until she's 69, because in her estimation she can't afford not to. My brother, who also has a degree, figures he'll have to work to about 67 or 68. Both are quite the penny pincher type, also. (I wasn't!)

As for grad gifts, I'll give $25 to friends kids, and $100 to $300 to nieces/nephews. For other relatives kids, it's decided on an individual basis. Some get $25 to $50....some get the bum's rush!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote