Hiking in CA can be expensive

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I suppose we will see more of this as government money gets spread thinner and thinner. These "adults" should have been more responsible. Don't tell me how they are just kids that made a dumb choice.

The OCFA, for its part, wants the $55,000 it spent to find Nicholas Cendoya, 19, and Kyndall Jack, 18, after the pair disappeared Easter Sunday in Tabuco Canyon.

And Papageorge, who fell off a 110-foot-high cliff during the rescue effort and later required the insertion of several screws into his back, is suing for $350,000 in incurred medical bills, OC Weekly reports.

Both the OCFA and Papageorge are reportedly citing Marsy’s Law, or the California Victims Bill of Rights, in their lawsuits.

Sheriff’s deputies discovered nearly 500 milligrams of methamphetamine in Cendoya’s car, while the teenager was still lost.
Read more: California responders suing teen hikers for recovery costs, medical bills | Fox News

Of course, it wasn't the hiking that was expensive. It was the getting lost that was.

Oregon just retrieved the body of a climber from Mt. Hood. The climber was very experienced, set out alone in bad weather that was predicted to continue for several days and LEFT HIS TRANSPONDER AT HOME! Rescuers expended significant resources in attempts to locate this man, luckily no one was injured.

I think this was a suicide by mountain. As sorry as I feel for his family I think his estate should be charged for the cost of rescue attempts.

In Colorado we have a Colorado Search and Rescue Card (CORSAR) that, if you buy it for $3 per year, pays for the cost of search and rescue teams. Hunting/fishing license also counts, as does registration of your boat, snowmobile, ATV. If you went out in the mountains without one of those things, you will get charged for the search and rescue team cost.

They make it pretty clear at the Grand Canyon that if you need an airlift out, you'll pay. This helps prevent stupidity. There's a lot of it there, since there are many inexperienced walkers walking down into the heat. They underestimate what it takes to walk out.

Regardless of the warnings, the times we've been on the trail there is always someone doing something stupid beyond their means. Fortunately, most don't require airlifts, just some assessment of vitals, hydration and encouraging words.

I don't see any particular reason for going out and saving stupid.

To back up the above: I spent th beter part of 14 years in the Aleutians, and in many parts of it where rescue was highly unlikely if not impossible. Generally it would be to pick up dead bodies. Even that I found a waste of time and money. The terrrain and weather were unforgiving of human mistakes let alone stupidity.

I spent inordinate amounts of time preparing for trips, making sure we had survival gear, food, for extended amounts of time even if it was a two hour scheduled trip. Had many events where all my survival skills were tested. I am here and alive today because of them.

Seen many so called experts do stupid stuff and the consequences.

One of the great examples is the fool who insisted on camping on bear trails. To make friends with Grizzlies. One ate him. So he became one with the bear. Good riddance to such idiots.

Let the Darwin awards rule.

Last edited:
I suspect that in short order he became one with bear poop unless the bear was shot (and I hope not).

Yep he did.

Unfortunately Ursus Horribilis was killed by the powers that be.

For some unfathomable reasons can't have bears develop a taste for Homo Sapiens [-]Sapiens[/-] Estupidus.

Round here we get south of the border hikers in flip flops, coptered out.

Ahh - I was hiking the Cinque Terra and ladies were hiking it in stacked heels!!!!!! And, they wouldn't stop flapping their yap, either...sheesh. Have also heard of people trying Half-dome in flip-flops - I think several take the dreaded flight back to the valley floor....sigh. Here in Tucson, when it is very hot, you need lots of water and sun protection - and start your hike early in the morning - I see so many people in tank tops and no water....skin cancer and dehydration for sure.

Here's what the Mayor of Calgary thinks of Darwin candidates (boating on the river during the recent major flood)...new catchphrase: "don't be a NenshiNoun"!

Nenshi vs. Nature - Canada - Macleans.ca

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what noun he would have used for Simon Fraser...but back then, and in that bit of country, Fraser knew he was on his own.

Now many have an expectation of rescue. I remember hearing that some hikers a few years back pushed the 911 button on their Spot locator because their "water tasted salty".

We are blessed with the beauty of three mountains behind our oceanfront neighbourhoods, and the search and rescue budget is ridiculous. There is actually a trail called the Grouse Grind (Grouse is the mountain not what you do on the trail) that people regularly take in flipflops and tanktops. Every week there is some other idiot defying Darwin's laws at taxpayers expense. And we have medicare too so it is a double threat to our pocketbook.

They lost a couple of hikers in Arizona. At 109 degrees they tried a 3 mile walk out to the Wave. They won the daily walk up permit lottery and went for it. You would think the park service would discontinue the permit lottery in these conditions.

I believe the sun affects folks in Arizona more than anywhere else. From our small town paper.

A group of hikers and a family on horseback had to be rescued in separate incidents after getting lost in mountains in Cochise County, the sheriff’s department said.

In the first incident, a woman used her telephone to report shortly before 8 a.m. Tuesday that she, her fiancée and a friend became lost after hiking in the Dragoon Mountains for a couple of days, said Carol Capas, a Cochise County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman. The woman also said the group had been without water for 24 hours, Capas said. The three made it to a cabin, and a Department of Public Safety helicopter and search-and-rescue personnel found the three, who were severely dehydrated, said Capas. They were treated and taken to Northern Cochise Community Hospital in Willcox, and were released Tuesday night.

In the second incident, a man called authorities Wednesday morning saying that he, his wife and their 8-year-old daughter went for a horseback ride in the Chiricahua Mountains on Tuesday, and that the trails were degraded from past fires and summer rains, said Capas. The family was not able to follow the maps, she said. They spent the night in the mountains, and were low on water for themselves and the horses, Capas said. Rescuers were able to locate the family through GPS, and DPS helicopters also assisted in the rescue, said Capas. The mother and daughter were airlifted out, but did not need medical attention. A crew hiked into the area to help the man and the horses. Water was brought in for the man and the horses before they began the trek out of the mountains, Capas said.

Back
Top Bottom