Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2020, 05:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We have them all over where we live. Wear higher ankle hiking boots. Stay out of tall grass. Watch where you put your hands on rock faces. We see them more in the daylight sunning themselves.
With as many as we have though, I only know of one incident, a dog was bit.
They show up in our Deep South Texas yards! We’ve had two men in our neighborhood bit on the hand while gardening. We’ve removed two tiny ones from our yard. And our immediate neighbor had two large ones removed. At least one dog bit and died. There seems to be a Spring movement of rattlers here - at least that’s when you’re most likely to see one. Snakes don’t hibernate where we live - too warm.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great! Wait til the media gets a hold on this. Now they're going to ban hiking in the Great Outdoors due to 10 deaths/year to rattlesnake bites!

GMA is now airing a segment on mental health because people are hunkered down in their bunkers with no social interaction. Shut the damn TV off!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
GMA is now airing a segment on mental health because people are hunkered down in their bunkers with no social interaction. Shut the damn TV off!
Amen.

I watched about 1 min of a two different news channels (one right, one left) and both left me nauseous. The anger, fear and grandstanding has to stop.

I was away from TV for the last 5 days before today and it was kind of blissful.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in rattlesnake country all my life and there are things you just learn to do daily if out and about. I hike all the time and where I hike there is no trails so you need to have your ears on I wear snake gators and always a walking stick. I have had a few close calls but for the most part it is more fear of them then anything else.
When at the ranch it fencing or working I will always use snake gators. I wouldn't stop hiking because you seen one just need to be aware and use precautions and the tools you have to be as safe as you can be.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #25

I could see using the gaiters for hiking but would imagine those chaps would be way too uncomfortable for any type of long hikes, especially in warmer weather when the snakes are usually out.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #26

For god's sakes people - VENOMOUS..........
Old 03-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I could see using the gaiters for hiking but would imagine those chaps would be way too uncomfortable for any type of long hikes, especially in warmer weather when the snakes are usually out.
DH wears the TurtleSkin gaiters in our 100+ summer weather.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
For god's sakes people - VENOMOUS..........
What, even the 'poisonous' ones?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post

I see one big big problem with those chaps. Ankles protected? check Shins protected? check Knees & thighs protected? check Man bits protected? Nope!!!!
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #30

I don't like snakes. I know they are an important part of the ecosystem, but I don't want to see them. Doesn't matter if they are venomous or harmless little garter snakes. I'm not squeamish about bugs or worms, but for some reason when I see a snake slither I get the chills. Ewww!

With my summer guiding gigs on the river and bike trails, I've had to learn to tamp down my reaction and pretend to be a brave guide. We often encounter timber rattlers, occasionally copperheads, and big fat black rat snakes can be seen almost daily. When I'm alone I can allow myself a shiver but with guests I fake nonchalance and help them avoid the "wiggling sticks". (I also like to refer to snakes as "danger noodles").

At least our timber rattlers are usually shy. For some reason I think that desert rattlers are more aggressive. Maybe I watched too many westerns as a kid?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
At least our timber rattlers are usually shy. For some reason I think that desert rattlers are more aggressive. Maybe I watched too many westerns as a kid?
From what I read, I think you are correct. There is a difference in aggression.

I'm realizing now that I've probably seen a timber rattler or two near the NC coast and thought it was something harmless. Whoops! I got a little educated on this thread. Turns out timber rattlers like to swim in the bays and sounds near the NC coast, sometimes even the ocean. "timber" is just a name. Yikes!

Here's a "Caution: Snake Habitat" sign from on of NC's ferry terminals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake.JPG (193.8 KB, 21 views)

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
If you combine a snake with a shark you get a politician
Old 03-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #32

If you combine a snake with a shark you get a politician

I'll offer the same uncomfortable perspective regarding snakes as I would regarding sharks: if you enter nature regularly you have probably been around lots of them without knowing it.

It should be reassuring to hear that, although I can understand that it may feel exactly the opposite. Swelling up and dying in agony on the trail, just like being eaten alive in the surf, is a pretty horrifying thought.

However, if you consider that you've never been bitten despite a hundred or more encounters, that would indicate it's a low-probability event. You probably don't need to do anything different than you ever have.

...unless you have been deliberately poking them! In which case I do have some excellent advice. "Don't."

Good luck, and keep enjoying the great outdoors.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I have gotten into hiking since moving to the desert. There are some great trails here with beautiful views and lots of wildlife. However, I was shocked today to come upon this guy - a Western Diamondback rattlesnake. I couldn’t get around it because the trail was too narrow, so I just backed off and aborted my hike.

Now I’m kind of scared to go hiking. Getting bitten due to surprising a snake on a remote hiking trail would be a big bummer!

Any advice on how to avoid getting bitten?
Attachment 34144
GREAT photo by the way.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #34

In the John Wayne movies, they just pull out their six shooter and shoot them.

On a bit more serious note, would arming yourself be on option? I'm thinking a pistol with snake shot in it. Not sure how effective but I think I'd like something in case things go bad.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
In the John Wayne movies, they just pull out their six shooter and shoot them.

On a bit more serious note, would arming yourself be on option? I'm thinking a pistol with snake shot in it. Not sure how effective but I think I'd like something in case things go bad.
In the early days of oilfield work in my career, someone always had a firearm when we were working in snake country. In recent years, Big Oil disallowed us carrying firearms. We just carried shovels instead and beat them into submission. (not really! Just banged it on the ground).
Old 03-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

While we were surveying pipelines in Texas in the 1980’s, we encountered a lot of snakes.

We kept a snakebite kit in the truck, and our crew never walked single file. The locals told us that the snakes would be spooked by someone stepping on or near them, and then strike the next person if single file. So we walked across ranch lands several feet apart laterally.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #37

Yet another reason to live in Minnesota folks! St. Patrick drove the big ugly snakes out of these frozen parts a long time ago
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

If you stay on wide, well worn trails and keep a look out you will usually see them ahead of time and can steer clear. We run into them from time to time out hiking. The only time I came close to getting bit was when hiking partners ahead of me stepped over a small one they didn't notice on a trail. When he woke up he saw me, not them and started to strike. Luckily because he was small and I was far enough back he couldn't reach me.

In some years based on weather conditions we have bumper crops and they move out of the parks and open space into people's yards. Usually it is dogs who get bit more often because they are more likely to be poking their noses into bushes or places they can't see.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
... Fortunately you are not dealing with Cottonmouth/WaterMoccasin which are aggressive and will even come at you. I've had the occasional experience with them while camping in the Okefenokee during a few decades. That was a little uncomfortable.

Cheers!
Water snakes are curious and will come to check you out. Cottonmouths? I have the opposite experience. The photo I posted was a snake that I didn't even notice for a few minutes, but it was trying to show me that it was around. It wasn't even moving. I couldn't even get it to sway its head at all.

Please read this for more info:
https://slate.com/technology/2014/09...moccasins.html

Quote:
Many snake-fearers torture themselves by seeking out exaggerated tales of snake attacks, and the cottonmouth figures in the most outlandish of these stories.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Here is one that was on a game trail one day when I was hiking. I live around them so not a big deal just have to be careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0915sheds0006.JPG (160.4 KB, 18 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote