Join Early Retirement Today

Hillary uncensored?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hillary uncensored?

I foud this interesting as I don't recall hearing much about it. Appears it was covered quite a bit by various news organizations. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Has the same feel as the Swift Boat adds that sank John Kerry last time around. Wonder if it will resonante the same way. No matter how you view it we are in for an UGLY 2008 leading up to the election.

Yes, Bush Stinks, GW that is.

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, hold your nose and pull the lever.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dang, and I was really appreciating that the political threads seem to be falling off the new posts list.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Dang, and I was really appreciating that the political threads seem to be falling off the new posts list.
Maybe we should declare these forums a No Political Zone - sounds like a poll to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It would be very nice to have a "no politics" board, but it doesn't appear there is any way to accomplish this effectively since financial matters and politics are so closely intertwined. Could stifle a lot of good discussion.

However, we did get some limits placed on religious discussions on the board (see the new Community Rules link below) as such discussions rarely have much to do with FIRE.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
......... since financial matters and politics are so closely intertwined......
Yes, and milk and politics, and housing and politics and ............
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Most politicians have whored themselves to every contributor in sight. Are we somehow shocked to discover this?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #8

I agree that politics and finance are often closely linked. However, comments such as 'Bush stinks' serve no purpose to clarify that link. A discussion as to the political philosophy of a party with regards to health care, or SS or any other number of subjects appears well within the bounds of 'Early Retirement'. But I fail to see how the personal and often vitriolic comments about politicians, which are often the main stream of several posters, add to the discussion.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sorry point kind of missed
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry point kind of missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I agree that politics and finance are often closely linked. However, comments such as 'Bush stinks' serve no purpose to clarify that link. A discussion as to the political philosophy of a party with regards to health care, or SS or any other number of subjects appears well within the bounds of 'Early Retirement'. But I fail to see how the personal and often vitriolic comments about politicians, which are often the main stream of several posters, add to the discussion.

I added the Bush Stinks because the few times I've commented in the past I always get the question "Do I think Bush is doing a good/better job?"...

I added the Hillary to the title so folks would know it was a kind of political thread. I suggested identifying political threads a long time ago becuase sometimes you just don't want to read them...

Of course we know virtually all politicians cater to their special interest groups and Political Contributors. Point was supposed to be related to the fact the "Swift Boat" type adds are starting up over a year before the election.

My comment about not being aware of the issue showed my ignorance yet this "ad" hit my radar screen. I didn't go looking for it.

Yep, politics is one of them issues my Daddy warned me not to talk about.
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Yep, politics is one of them issues my Daddy warned me not to talk about.
Of course, if we avoid talking about all the things we have been warned not to talk about, we will be helping to create a very bland world.

Ha
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Regarding the info in the story at the link: I don't think it will carry much weight in the election, and won't have nearly the "legs" that the stories about Mr Kerry's military service/post military service activities had. He ran on those factors, so attacks on them hurt him a lot. Ms Clinton isn't running as "Ms Clean" , so the fact that she probably broke campaign contribution laws is not going to fundamentally damage her. Besides, very few people understand the arcane campaign finance rules, and the seem to be broken all the time. It's just not easy to get folks into a lather about abuses of these laws. So, even if everything in the video is true, I don't think it will catch fire and become a big issue.

Now, if they had video of her doing something like smoking a joint or groping an aide, THAT would be important!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Now, if they had video of her doing something like smoking or joint or groping an aide, THAT would be important!
ha! not if you're the gov of CA...