Hippies, peaceniks, and the sands of time

Love that song.
Great first post.

In Texas hippies and peaceniks were the minority.

In my first year at a Texas university [1970], my roommate was a pseudo-hippy. On my side of the dorm room was a poster that said, "America, Love It or Leave It." On her side was a poster that said, "Hell No We Won't Go!" Ironically, we got along fine.

And I was in this camp:

As I drove down on 65, I was cruisin' down that old grapevine
Well, I must have been doin' at least about 95
Well out there on the side of the road all broke down and
Who do you think was standin' around
But the greatest country singer alive!
I'll fix your flat tire Merle
Don't ya get your sweet country pickin' fingers all covered with erl
Cause you're a honky, I know, but Merle you got soul
And I'll fix your flat tire Merle

Well I hear you had an adventurous youth, makin' love in a telephone booth
And I even hear you did a little stretch in jail
But now you got a big ranch house with a bar
And eight, nine, ten of them fancy cars
And every other little check comin' in the mail
I'll fix your flat tire Merle

Now I heard all them records ya did, makin' fun of us long haired kids
And now ya know we don't care what ya think... Merle,
If you're gonna call the world your home
Ya know you're gonna have to get out and get stoned
An' it's better with a joint than with a drink, I think
So I'll fix your flat tire Merle
So I'll fix your flat tire Merle

just a fraction too young to go the Vietnam , i discover Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin and went down the heavy metal path and my drug of choice was adrenaline

so much so, that after my recent medical procedure , they told me i would feel like 18 again ... and i just looked at them and said WHAT ?? suicidal ... they probably think i was joking

i have a wide taste in unpopular music .. from obscure classical , selected ethnic , heavy metal ( most styles ) and some more modern goth and Emo stuff , and clever parodies and covers

the upside is i discovered i am a contrarian investor at heart ( and i understand risk ) who knew ??

In my first year at a Texas university [1970], my roommate was a pseudo-hippy. On my side of the dorm room was a poster that said, "America, Love It or Leave It." On her side was a poster that said, "Hell No We Won't Go!" Ironically, we got along fine.

Not necessarily ironic- I have really good conversations with people on opposite ends of an issue as long as we respect the rules of polite discourse.

I once put a "Nixon Now" sticker on my dorm room door and someone wrote on it, "Are all steel magnates' daughters bourgeois hippies?" (Dad worked for a steel company but was hardly a "magnate".) I'm still not sure who of my friends had the vocabulary to write that but I loved the expression "bourgeois hippies".

Bourgeois and lumpenproletariat, were being tossed around a lot, along with Mao's little red book.

I'm what might be referred to as a back to the earth hippy. At least in my mind.

I burned my draft card at a demonstration in 72. And I smoked a lot of pot. I learned not to trust govt during the Nixon years.

In my working years, I opted for location over wages. I worked for a large utility and was able to transfer to more rural areas.

Growing our own food was always a priority. Drug testing stopped my herbal indulging, and I probably drank way too much. Retired in 04.

Now I'm still growing my own food and herb. I built a large pantry and it's filled with stuff we grow and preserve. And still not trusting our govt. Still hope for peace. Still try to be compassionate towards others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom