Join Early Retirement Today

holiday jeer
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

holiday jeer

just back from the mall. ya, i know, i don't say that often enough.

met brother, sil & 10-year-old nephew for lunch. then off to icecream and a kids' electronic game store.

the kid wanted to spend some holiday gelt he got from his uncle before it burned a hole in his pocket. (i considered savings bonds this year until i read somewhere online: "here's some savings bonds. in seven years you can get something you really like.")

seems though that my brother & sil hadn't quite thought out the mall trip because the kid kept picking items already wrapped & waiting in surprise for him. his mom didn't want to return the items so she kept steering him from picking out what he really wanted. imagine the frustration.

not about to give up her surprises, she tried diversionary tactics: "you only think you want that." "but you just said you wanted the other one." "why don't you get one that you'll enjoy more." "you can play that one with your friend; get one he doesn't have."

as the kid desparately tried sorting through such mixed holiday messages, i prepared to dial 911 for emergency therapy sessions. finally the parents sort of acquiesced to their own mess by explaining that he should wait to see all the presents he might get before deciding what he'd like to buy himself. to be helpful i added "and then you can shop the after season sales."

next year, instead of cash or savings bonds, i'm gonna save a step and get the kid a certificate for three introductory sessions with a shrink.

now what did i get you might ask? well, since sil overheard me asking my brother to borrow his air mattress--yup--i got one of those. what she didn't hear was that it was for only two nights use at my friends brand new retirement house in sarasota because they will be down in january with their first carload of stuff and there's no furniture yet. i want to visit but i have to bring my own bed.

oh well. apparently the thought that confuses & taunts is the thought that counts.

happy holiday jeer to all and to all a good tease.

ps. following is space for you to list all the items you got that you didn't want and all the items you wanted but didn't get.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Back to your bamboos, grinch.

I share your distaste for the shopping-returning-regifting scene. The internet has helped considerably, with things like Netflix, iTunes and Amazon certificates. Watching it all play out live and in person at the mall qualifies you as a worthy uncle.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #3

aw it's not grinch. i thought it all funny. poor kid. but they sure did keep his presents a surprise.

though reading what i wrote back i'm not sure i used the words jeer & taunt correctly. i thought it was like carrot & stick tease but looking up the words it looks more like insult tease. oh well, since when did meaning mean anything. comments?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #4

I am confused why these folks took a child to the mall in the first place - with the intention of a purchase for him/her. I'd have waited til after the holidays (after all the distant relatives' monetary gifts have been recieved) to let said child purchase anything. This trip could have been for wish listing and shopping for others. Well, such is life - many things confuse me!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #5

ya, well, as i said the money was burning a hole in his pocket. so the mother wanted to be nice to him by letting him buy something. it wasn't until he started shopping that she realized what a good job she'd done listening to what he wanted, just like she overheard me mention an air mattress. only problem was she didn't hear the rest of my conversation and she didn't consider the kid might select what she already bought.

with all that in mind, we have re-evaluated our lives and decided to remove well-meaning sil from our planning committees.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=lazygood4nothinbum;587173.

ps. following is space for you to list all the items you got that you didn't want and all the items you wanted but didn't get.[/quote]

Christmas 2003 my SO got me a GPS .I cried .To me that meant I could not find my way .I am directionally challenged but I still cried .He also got me a gold necklace so all was not lost .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moemg, that is hilarious! I'd never assume that a GPS gift mean I was lost, I'd think it meant we were going somewhere cool that I would need it!
And I got really mad when I got a gold necklace a few years ago--frivolous expenditure! I love the dichotomy here!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And I got really mad when I got a gold necklace a few years ago--frivolous expenditure! I love the dichotomy here!
Will you marry me?? DW has been trying to buy me an expensive watch for 5 years now. Let's see, I have the following watches:

1)Movado I got in 1996, our 1st year anniversary. I got her diamond earrings so we're even...........

2)ESQ Swiss watch I got 3 years ago. It was on a blowout at Sam's Club for $50, the watch retails for $350.

3)My Timex Triathlon watch for running and bumming around. They coast $30, and I destroy one about every 5 years or so, then buy another................

I have yearned for a GPS for some time now,but then I remember how much fun I have getting lost, so I pass............I have met a lot of nice strangers getting lost, and had some great experiences too.

That one time I got lost in Las Vegas............oops better save that story..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Haha... oh do tell the Las Vegas story Finance Dude. I feel the same way about GPS though. Not knowing exactly where you're going makes life more interesting.
layla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I used to get lost all the time driving home from vacation at the Jersey shore. The one time I made it home without getting lost my kids called all their friends and told them about it .Guess it was a big deal to them ! They also used to call their friends when I was making real mashed potatoes .Sad but true !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote