Holiday Spending Plans

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With the news talking about the economy slowing and retail sales showing small increases in October, there are those that are worried that the consumer will be watching his/her spending for the rest of the year.

How about we the members of the forum - Are you going to be spending the same, more or less this Holiday season.

I'll be spending about the same, although I'll have my eye out for sales.

More. Tossing holiday travel into the pot. Have never done that before.

Less.

And last week I shorted Abercrombie & Fitch at $78/share.

I have a single budget item that includes all gifts plus all charity, not a single line for holiday gifts. This being my first full year of retirement, this item has shrunk considerably relative to years past.

When our income was reduced by 75% when we semi-retired, this line dropped precipitously! If I hadn't done a budget, we'd probably be eating into our portfolio to give as generously as we'd like to. I console myself by providing a few hundered hours of volunteer work, being there for family (I fed my brother practically every day this past week due to a health issue he's grappling with), and visiting my kids sometimes instead of having them visit me all the time.

astromeria said:
and visiting my kids sometimes instead of having them visit me all the time.

I would love for my kids to "visit me all the time", up to a point.

JG

youbet said:
More. Tossing holiday travel into the pot. Have never done that before.

Well, now if you do that, then my spending will be "off the chart"
this year.

JG

I'll be spending less on Christmas presents, more $$ to a couple of charities. :angel: Actual combined total on those 2 things will be about the same as last year.

Holiday travel spending will be less this year, as compared to last year. Last year a little over a week in San Antonio...this year 4 days in Nashville.....Shorter + Closer = Cheaper. (Of course had much more summer travel this year than last)

Today I got my sister a beautiful Fair Isle sweater for Christmas. It cost 50 cents. So that's up from last year, when I got her a beautiful Peruvian sweater for free (garage sale over, "Everything's Free!).

Inflation's a bitch!

TromboneAl said:
Today I got my sister a beautiful Fair Isle sweater for Christmas. It cost 50 cents. So that's up from last year, when I got her a beautiful Peruvian sweater for free (garage sale over, "Everything's Free!).

Inflation's a bitch!
I buy my brother a Hallmark card. I am going to be more creative in the future! Those cards cost $5!

kcowan said:
I buy my brother a Hallmark card. I am going to be more creative in the future! Those cards cost $5!

I am changing my vote (I said "less"). I was out on the water most of today
where I hatch a lot of good ideas. I am going to get on-line and order
gift baskets for all of really close and loyal friends. It will cost me a bundle,
but I'm not getting any younger and good friends (the kind that stick with
you no matter what) are hard to come by.

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
....I am going to get on-line and order
gift baskets for all of really close and loyal friends. It will cost me a bundle,
but I'm not getting any younger and good friends (the kind that stick with
you no matter what) are hard to come by.

JG

You know, I used to do that. For folks real close by, I would assemble the baskets myself and hand deliver them. After reading your post...I think I may just start that again! Thanks, JG!!!

Back
Top Bottom