Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
What I would have liked is some photos of my ducts that needed sealed. Nobody mentioned they were bent or ruined--just that they needed sealed.
Too bad. It would be really nice to quantify the duct leakage. Could be minor or major.

I hope you'll consider the attic / ceiling air leak sealing. It is not as sexy as insulation but provides more bang for the buck.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
If anyone is interested, the price of this has now dropped to $29 (from $49), but as prices fluctuate on Amazon, it can change at anytime.
Just ordered. Free shipping and no sales tax. Should prove useful in the coming winter, so thanks for the tip.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Before you insulate the attic, think about how you use the rooms under it. When DD was at home, and studied in her room, I added insulation above it. However, now that is our room, we're only in it at night, and we have the window open. In a situation like that, the extra insulation is valueless.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #24

Depends where you live, of course, but here in the midwestern US, R30 is considered the absolute minimum recommendation for attic insulation.

FWIW, I added plenty of attic insulation when we moved into this 1979-built house about six years ago, and it made a significant difference in our utility bills (which I've tracked monthly for many years).
Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the thermal detector has a lot of uses, but I thought this photo was a little creepy:

Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

See how useful the tool is though? I would have thought that was a pretty hot piece, but the blue led indicator says otherwise.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
See how useful the tool is though? I would have thought that was a pretty hot piece, but the blue led indicator says otherwise.
Apparently, for you, thinking is not a very effective accurate diagnostic tool.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote