Home and Auto Insurance through Costco

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody used Costco's referred service for Homeowner's and/or Auto insurance? If so, what did you think of it?

When I saw the word "Ameriprise", I turned around.

Where did you see this? ^^^^

It's all over the Costco webpage!

For nearly two decades, Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance has been providing Costco members auto, home and umbrella insurance.

I never even knew Ameriprise offered insurance. Probably a lure to enroll in their investment products. Definitely a hard stop for me.

It's all over the Costco webpage!

For nearly two decades, Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance has been providing Costco members auto, home and umbrella insurance.

I never even knew Ameriprise offered insurance. Probably a lure to enroll in their investment products. Definitely a hard stop for me.

We joined Costco last year as my prescription plan is using them for my pick ups. I have not seen there web page in a while so I'll check it out. No deal for me either, then.

I've had the auto insurance for about 4 years. I shop every renewal and Ameriprise always comes in the lowest, by a good margin. Used them recently for a small claim. Super friendly folks on the phone, fast service and absolutely no issues.

Not once have I been solicited for other insurance / investment products by them.

Agreed. I was surprised at the low rates through Costco on our home and auto. I've heard all the negative financial experiences others have had. I'm with them just for the insurance. Here is the breakdown on what we are currently paying:

House: $485k value premium is $433/yr

2013 Honda Accord and 2001 Mazda MPV minivan premium is $548/yr

No one else came close, some were double and I shopped the other big names thoroughly. Do your own due diligence.

Thanks for 1st hand feedback. Guess I'll have to reconsider my revulsion of the company.

We use BJs Wholesale Club, not Costco and Geico is their affiliate, but I hate Geico too!

Last edited:
I have not found any insurance company I am happy with. One that is not to offensive would be OK, I guess. I get the impression that shopping my policy may help keep me from falling into the "this guy doesn't shop his policy so we can raise his rates" group.

OTOH, I am getting some long term discounts and my current insurer, while not great is certainly not among the worst.

Ack, I've been shopping for new insurance this month. I had purchased a policy for home and cars from Allstate, and prepaid for a year. After 3 months they raised the homeowner rate by 20%, and didn't tell me. Since I signed up for autopay, maybe they thought I wouldn't notice when they charged me an extra payment. Scumbags.

Agreed. I was surprised at the low rates through Costco on our home and auto. I've heard all the negative financial experiences others have had. I'm with them just for the insurance. Here is the breakdown on what we are currently paying:

House: $485k value premium is $433/yr

2013 Honda Accord and 2001 Mazda MPV minivan premium is $548/yr

No one else came close, some were double and I shopped the other big names thoroughly. Do your own due diligence.

Where do you live, those rates are amazing
My house value is $275k and I pay just under $200 a month
My cars are a 2012 Nissan versa and a 2012 jeep Cherokee total per month is $150
I am in Texas and have state farm which is the cheapest I have found but have not tried Costco yet
Thanks
Greg

Last edited:
Sheldon cornped is from Oregon which is the lowest cost state for homeowners insurance and near the bottom for auto insurance.

Back
Top Bottom